Menu

Question for Catholics

PIE!

Our local Catholic church is having a Christmas pageant for 4:00 mass today. A friend invited us, but then found out she can’t make it. But our church isn’t doing anything today, and a Christmas pageant sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon. We’d still like to go, even without the friend. That’s not weird, is it?

We’ve never been inside a Catholic church before. What do we expect? How do we dress? Where do we sit? How early should we arrive? What do we need to know so that we don’t feel completely awkward?

Thanks for your help!

My parish doesn't do a Christmas pageant so I am not sure exactly what it is. A live nativity perhaps?  Maybe they have a procession?  Anyway, Catholic are cool with visitors usually.  Lots of people who aren't Catholic tag along with others who are.  So don't worry about that aspect. Most Catholics dress casually but tend to dress up for Christmas.  So maybe business casual with a Christmas twist!

Oh and churches are especially crowded at Christmas time so I'd advise arriving early.

• Like 2

Not Catholic, but I've been to mass a number of times. You should be able to just walk in and find a place to sit. I've always just followed along with what others were doing for songs, prayers, etc., sat quietly during communion, and generally enjoyed the lovely services. If people stood, I stood, if they sat, I sat, if they sang, I sang. Otherwise I just watch and listen.

Let's see, I don't know how different things are from place to place, but some things that might be different from what your kids are used to:

Some people may kind of bend their knee and cross themselves as they come into the aisle facing the altar (I think genuflect may be the correct term?) also cross themselves at different points during the service.

For communion people are usually invited to come to the front to receive the wafer and wine from the priest. This part can take awhile but there is often music and you can just sit and watch.

Any Catholics, please let me know if I have mis-represented anything, it's been awhile and most (maybe all?) of the masses I have been to were in other countries.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

The most important thing to remember is that, when they pass the live chicken, if you don't want to hold it, just cross your arms and nod 4 times. Simple!

I kid! You just walk in and sit down. I would assume that it will be pretty crowded so you might want to go early. No food or drink in church unless you are a toddler. I would also wonder if this is connected to Christmas Eve Mass? If you do end up going to Mass, just follow along in the Missal and don't receive Communion since you aren't Catholic.

• Like 5

Feel free to go!

If you can, look up the church and see if they have their bulletin online. Our pageant is just a bunch of kids dressed up and singing songs - only 10-15 minutes long and more of a photo op more than anything. But then our Christmas Eve Mass starts IMMEDIATELY following.

So see if there's a bulletin to get a feel for what the pageant actually IS (this will vary) and be prepared for a mass (Har har) of people. But if there is Mass afterward that you DON'T want to stay for, it'd be okay to go to the pageant and leave right after. :)

HTH!

• Like 2

I can only speak for our family and church, and realize other churches might be different. We have a very large parish, so if you want a shot to have a seat you probably need to arrive an hour earlier. Christmas is very important for us, we definitely wear a formal attire. Yes, we genuflect in front of the Crucifix and the Tabernacle (which are usually towards the front of the church). The Tabernacle is a small/medium size adorned box, there should be some candles by it. If the candles are lit it means consecrated host (which for us is the Body of Christ) is in there. Probably after the pageant there will be a Mass? Not sure how things are done at that Parish. Hope you get to go and have a lovely evening!! Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 1

Hope you get to go! My church loves visitors. Hey, we are having a Christmas pagent at 4:00 today. Maybe I'll see you there!!

Wear whatever you want, but shorts are alittle too casual for Christmas eve ( or so I told my daughter.. Grownups can wear whatever). You will see suits,jeans, and everything in between. We go to our non Catholic friends' churches for their Nativity plays prior to Chrismas. It will be crowded though, so get there early for a seat.

• Like 1

Visitors are always very welcome! 

Is it a pageant as in a performance, or a special mass? If it's a mass, the most important thing to know is that you should not take communion (Catholic communion is different from other denominations). Nothing horrible will happen if you do, it's just respectful to not partake. 

You can sit/stand/kneel when others do, or you can just sit. Either way is fine. They've made so many changes recently that half of the Catholics can't remember what do in the first place. 

If they do the sign of the peace, it will be noticeable if you don't participate. Most people just shake hands, but a few might try to hug you or kiss your cheek. I ward these people off by sticking my hand WAY in front of me and pulling my body back, lol. 

Honestly, though, you could not pay me to step foot into a Catholic church today or tomorrow. They are insanely packed around here on the holidays. Even when we were regular attenders, we were known to skip Christmas and Easter, or at least let the kids skip. 

• Like 1

Visitors are always welcome! If kneeling doesn't feel comfortable to you, no one will bat an eye if you remain seated for that part. Simply lean your body forward because the person kneeling behind you will breathe down your neck otherwise. 😃

Often on busy days like today, there will be ushers by the door of the church. They will give you a program and help you find a seat.

The priest and deacon may be outside after the pageant or Mass greeting everyone. Just shake hands and say, Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

Our parish's Children's Christmas Pageant is at 4pm today, too. It will be a regular mass with music, communion, and the children processing up the aisle (no speaking parts for the children, just acting out the baby Jesus in a manger).  All are welcome!  It tends to be pretty crowded, so arrive early so you get a seat.  It is usually a really nice service, with familiar music, so it's a good way to visit a Catholic church.

As far as standing and kneeling throughout the mass, you can either follow along with the rest of the congregation, or just stay seated, which ever you feel most comfortable. Usually everyone does stand for the opening song, though. You can go up and receive a blessing during communion (cross your arms across your chest) or stay seated. Many Catholics will go up for a blessing, so you won't be out of place.

Hope you enjoy it! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Our local Catholic church is having a Christmas pageant for 4:00 mass today. A friend invited us, but then found out she can’t make it. But our church isn’t doing anything today, and a Christmas pageant sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon. We’d still like to go, even without the friend. That’s not weird, is it?

We’ve never been inside a Catholic church before. What do we expect? How do we dress? Where do we sit? How early should we arrive? What do we need to know so that we don’t feel completely awkward?

Thanks for your help!

Since it's Christmas and many people will be going to family dinners after, today will be much dressier than normal. You could still wear jeans and a nice top but some people will be in nice dresses and suits.

You'll need to get there at least half an hour early to get a seat. You'll be sardined into whatever space you can find. Even if you get there early, the ushers will shoo you to the middle of the pew to make room to pack more people in. Prepare to be squished. This isn't normal either, but Christmas and Easter are very crowded.

As everyone else said, just follow along with the crowd. There should be missals either next to the door or in the pews that will have the order of the mass and the readings so you can follow along. I'd just stay seated during communion. You could go for a blessing but this can be complicated in a crowd if you don't know the layout of the communion lines. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue but the church will be filled to capacity today and you have a lot of kids to corral. Losing one in that crowd would be awful. BTDT.

(If you happen to be going to St. Martha's, Trinqueta will be the cantor in the purple dress with the low bun.)

• Like 1

Thanks again.

I live in a small town (population 4,000), so I doubt I'll be seeing any of you today ;). But I suppose if you live in a small northeastern town with a Christmas Pageant at 4:00 today, you could pm me. That'd be fun to meet a boardie in real life. :)

• Like 1

We did go. It was nice. 30 minutes early was not quite early enough. It looked like everything was full, but an usher led us to a front balcony that I couldn’t even see until we got there. We ended up sitting in front of some friends of ours who were very helpful with our two smallest kids who were a bit loud and squirmy. It was serendipitous. Some children put on a cute nativity and the priest gave a nice message, then continued with Mass. We couldn’t see the program very well from our seats, but the kids loved seeing their piano teacher play the piano and organ. Afterward we all agreed that the music was beautiful, and it was nice to spend Christmas Eve with others who love Jesus. We are considering making it an annual tradition.

Thanks for all your help. It made navigating the experience much easier. My only regret was that we didn’t know they’d pass a donation basket around. We didn’t have any money with us and would have liked to contribute. But we’ll remember that if we go again.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas too!

• Like 7

We did go. It was nice. 30 minutes early was not quite early enough. It looked like everything was full, but an usher led us to a front balcony that I couldn’t even see until we got there. We ended up sitting in front of some friends of ours who were very helpful with our two smallest kids who were a bit loud and squirmy. It was serendipitous. Some children put on a cute nativity and the priest gave a nice message, then continued with Mass. We couldn’t see the program very well from our seats, but the kids loved seeing their piano teacher play the piano and organ. Afterward we all agreed that the music was beautiful, and it was nice to spend Christmas Eve with others who love Jesus. We are considering making it an annual tradition.

Thanks for all your help. It made navigating the experience much easier. My only regret was that we didn’t know they’d pass a donation basket around. We didn’t have any money with us and would have liked to contribute. But we’ll remember that if we go again.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas too!

If it makes you feel better many people don't put anything in the basket, because they either give online (many parishes do this now) or give monthly instead of weekly. So no one will think anything of it. 

And Catholics are used to kids being squirmy and loud in mass. Trust me, no one bats an eye. 

• Like 1