Menu

One Word for 2016

PeacefulChaos

discipline 

I am working the Dave Ramsey plan and getting out of debt.

I am losing 60 pounds (well probably not all this year) and eating unprocessed 

I am catching my kids up on school after a big move and tough year

We moved 17 hours away from home on very short notice and I have just let everything in my life go because it came out of the blue. We don't know hardly anyone and have nowhere to be and nothing to do so it has been easy to be a lazy slacker.  This year I am starting fresh in a new place and pulling it back together. I get to build a whole new life!

• Like 4

Mine is:

Settle

We will be moving this year, into a new house and a new routine with all kids going to school and maybe even me getting a job next school year.

I feel like we have always lived with a move in mind and a "next thing" lurking but never fully knowing what that next thing is.

We are moving into a home I am PLANNING to live in for over 10 years (I usually plan for 2-4).  That will mean I can make it my own and not make it "sell ready."

• Like 3

discipline

I am working the Dave Ramsey plan and getting out of debt.

I am losing 60 pounds (well probably not all this year) and eating unprocessed

I am catching my kids up on school after a big move and tough year

We moved 17 hours away from home on very short notice and I have just let everything in my life go because it came out of the blue. We don't know hardly anyone and have nowhere to be and nothing to do so it has been easy to be a lazy slacker. This year I am starting fresh in a new place and pulling it back together. I get to build a whole new life!

We're half way through our debt snowball. It's taken us longer than prescribed because we've made me staying home and our quality of food a higher priority than he recommends.

I've lost about 100 pounds. Get a water bottle, pick a consistent work out regimen, and stop drinking your calories and snacking.

Check out New Seasons value packs. I've heard Whole Foods has them too.

I know that was a lot of unsolicited advice, but you're doing exactly what I did 5 years ago. Good luck! It's easier than it sounds. :)

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

Explore. I've got some mental health issues and one of them is being afraid to try anything new or go anywhere I've never been. Sometimes it's hard just to leave the house and do my regular things. I'd like to push myself and step out of my comfort zone to get out of my house. I want to go on some day hikes and visit some touristy type stuff. One thing I'd really like to do is become a part of a group of people, but I don't have any specific interests that would lead me to find a group of people. I miss being part of a church, but I was too scared to find a new one when we moved 10 years ago and now I don't go because I feel so out of it. Basically I'm afraid of becoming a hermit.

Me, too.  I've thought about putting a sign out front:  "The Hermitage"

I would love to share some hikes with you.  There are so many beautiful places to see.  Even hiking the same trail day after day yields new wonders. 

• Like 1

I don't normally pick a word but I kept coming across people who did. I thought about it but couldn't come up with anything then suddenly yesterday it popped into my head. Joy. I've been trying to find joy in the little things, trying to be more aware of how MY mood affects the mood of the entire household (and it really does to an alarming degree). I've even started thinking about Kon Mari'ing some of my stuff and asking myself which of my things "spark joy."

So that's my word for 2016. Joy. :)

• Like 1

I finally figured out the right word!

MOVE

Move my body (goal: run a half marathon)

Move my mind (study, read)

Move my weight (eat right again)

Move my heart (spirituality)

Move my career

Move my relationships (love unconditionally but develop healthier boundaries)

Help the kids move their bodies and their relationships

• Like 6

Last year my word was "big rocks" (priorities), and I recall some people poked fun of it.

So my first thought when seeing this thread was: 2016: "Beef Stew"

I don't know what the deeper meaning is yet, but it's gonna be good!

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 4

Ok! Since skinny wasn't going to work I've found my word...

RELAX

seriously, relax. I freak out about the wrong stuff. I have finally found a homeschool routine that works, so relax. After years of major financial stress we finally have some savings and hubby has a great job so, relax. I've worried for so many years what people thought of me and my family, but who cares I need to RELAX.

• Like 4

My word for 2016 is 

Read.

I have abandoned my habit of reading books because life has been an insane blur for at least five years. I've read magazines and blogs and textbooks, but now I am ready to get back to actual books (physical or on my new Paperwhite (love!)). 

My goal is to read 30 books this year...alternating between non-fiction and contemporary or classic fiction (I tend to gravitate towards non-fiction, so I need to be intentional about reading fiction). I wish I could do the 52 books/52 weeks on this forum, but I know that is an unreasonable goal for me at this stage of life...maybe later.

My husband and I are going to do the Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge together. 

• Like 3

My word for 2016 is

Read.

I have abandoned my habit of reading books because life has been an insane blur for at least five years. I've read magazines and blogs and textbooks, but now I am ready to get back to actual books (physical or on my new Paperwhite (love!)).

My goal is to read 30 books this year...alternating between non-fiction and contemporary or classic fiction (I tend to gravitate towards non-fiction, so I need to be intentional about reading fiction). I wish I could do the 52 books/52 weeks on this forum, but I know that is an unreasonable goal for me at this stage of life...maybe later.

My husband and I are going to do the Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge together.

My general goal is 50 books this year but I think I'm going to do this too! Thanks for posting.

We're half way through our debt snowball. It's taken us longer than prescribed because we've made me staying home and our quality of food a higher priority than he recommends.

I've lost about 100 pounds. Get a water bottle, pick a consistent work out regimen, and stop drinking your calories and snacking.

Check out New Seasons value packs. I've heard Whole Foods has them too.

I know that was a lot of unsolicited advice, but you're doing exactly what I did 5 years ago. Good luck! It's easier than it sounds. :)

AWESOME to hear of someone partway through/on the other side!!!! thank you!

• Like 1

I just stole this from the FB bravewriter group, but it's such a good fit, I'm allowing myself to plagiarize it. ;)

PLAYFUL

things have been serious in my life for the past couple of years due to family issues. I really want to lighten up, and also approach homeschooling this year with a playful attitude. Actually my parenting in general could use more playfulness!

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about it but....stretch would work. I have maneuvered myself into a lovely life with lovely hobbies, and people but...I don't want to be one of those people who go to the same store, the same resort, the same hairdresser, whatever for 20 years and miss great new stuff. So I will

Concentrate on dh more- he is in a rough patch career wise and could use some " atta boys"

Complete my Level 2 Yoga Certification

Become more involved in a local group

Possibly take improv classes

Connect with friends more-it's so easy to get by on Facebook and a cup of coffee now and then but deeper would be better

• Like 1

Prepared

When I meal plan and keep the fridge stocked with real food we all eat a healthier diet.

When I have school planned and ready to go then we spend that time engaged and learning rather than discombobulated and frustrated.

When I stay on top of the laundry and the house then we are not as easily overwhelmed by an illness, broken washer or other setback.

When I anticipate and plan for tantrums, dawdling, inattentiveness and never-ending bickering from the children then I can be ready to handle it in a calm, positive manner.

This year I want to focus on being well prepared so I can reduce day-to-day stress and enjoy my houseful of littles.

Wendy

• Like 1

My word is FRUITION.

This year is going to be the realization of some goals/dreams of mine.

My first book will be published this year which is a lifelong dream.

I should finish losing all of the weight I've been working on losing.

My oldest is transiting over to being almost completely independent in her school work which we've been prepping for.

I have a couple of homeschool curriculum guides that I should finish writing this year as well.

A year of seeing things come to fruition indeed!

• Like 3

Healthy

I'm determined to get us healthy next year. This year we've been treading water health-wise. In January Ani was diagnosed with Celiac after several years of unexplained problems. I was diagnosed in April after more than a couple decades of unexplained (but yet Celiac textbook) problems. My youngest was diagnosed in October. I got the flu and bronchitis in September and the first week of October coughed so hard my uterus prolapsed. I was laid up until surgery the end of November. I'll be at 6 weeks and should be released to full activity the first week of January. I had a hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repairs, fallopian tubes removed, and vaginal suspension. Starting in October my daughter got one cold after another and ultimately ended up with pleurisy of all things last month right around when I had surgery. She's finally recovered. We're ending the year with a bang. My middle son suddenly started coughing Friday evening. I took him to the doctor this morning since he was just getting worse. He's got croup and a sinus infection. He's finally grown to the point he doesn't need an ER trip or steroid shot for croup anymore, but he's still pretty miserable.

So after the year we've had, next year I just want to be healthy.

Oh Butter!!!! ((((((HUGS))))))

My word this year is Experience. It is interesting because the word found me; I did not even deliberate on it. The Universe supplied the correct word, I believe. :) I know this is the right word, because I felt some apprehension, "Well, I don't know, it could be a bad experience..." But I know this is the right word because of the shades of meaning. My husband and his brother have separated their partnerships and I both have experience in running my part of the companies and also will be gaining experience as I assume jobs that used to be completed by BIL or SIL. Experience could also mean that I will experience things that are new and possibly great. Finally, there will surely be things about which later I will say, "Well THAT sure was an experience..." It might not all be a good experience, but it is part of becoming more accepting to learn that all situations have something to teach for those willing to learn.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Mine is:

Settle

We will be moving this year, into a new house and a new routine with all kids going to school and maybe even me getting a job next school year.

I feel like we have always lived with a move in mind and a "next thing" lurking but never fully knowing what that next thing is.

We are moving into a home I am PLANNING to live in for over 10 years (I usually plan for 2-4).  That will mean I can make it my own and not make it "sell ready."

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even know I said this.

And in the other thread I said I didn't make a word for the year but if I had to make one it would be CHANGE.

Quite sure that is the complete opposite of "Settle."

I guess life gets in the way of our plans.