Menu

What's with the ads?

Mommy to monkeys

Buying older editions of saxon math

I'm confronted with the almost definite possibility that I will have very VERY little budget for school next year. You can see the ages of my kids in my siggy. We've always homeschooled so I have a lot of books and I was able to get some IEW resources SUPER cheap during the after Thanksgiving sale. I have resources for MOST things. Math is my issue. We've used CLE math for years and I love it. . .but buying LU's plus a another set of answer keys for 4 kids next year? Dear Lord, we're talking close to $150 and it's CONSUMABLE. I really shouldn't do that.

I'm looking into buying older used editions of Saxon books. I'm wondering what all I would need? Book + answer keys at least, I'm thinking. What else? And is there an easy way to make sure I get books and Answer keys the same edition so they match up? Is there a perfect place for that.

What levels are you looking for?  I have used everything from 5/4 up through Algebra II.  I need different materials depending on how hard the math is.

You can use older editions of Saxon. Virtual Homeschool Group offers free online self-paced auto-graded classes that use the older editions if you care to use their free online classes for Saxon math. The only thing you would need to buy would be the book (they list editions in the course descriptions). Of course you could also simply use the book. The books include odd answers in the back. If you are planning on assigning all problems, odd and even, you would want the answer key for all problems.

• Like 1

What levels are you looking for?  I have used everything from 5/4 up through Algebra II.  I need different materials depending on how hard the math is.

5/4 and either 7/6 or Alg 1/2. I'm not sure where kids will place. If I can figure out what I'm going to do, I'll give placements tests and see where we land.

You can use older editions of Saxon. Virtual Homeschool Group offers free online self-paced auto-graded classes that use the older editions if you care to use their free online classes for Saxon math. The only thing you would need to buy would be the book (they list editions in the course descriptions). Of course you could also simply use the book. The books include odd answers in the back. If you are planning on assigning all problems, odd and even, you would want the answer key for all problems.

This looks like a pretty amazing resource! Free?

5/4 and either 7/6 or Alg 1/2. I'm not sure where kids will place. If I can figure out what I'm going to do, I'll give placements tests and see where we land.

For 5/4, I only have the book student book.  I just work through the problems as my student is doing them and correct as we go.  (I don't even give tests at that age.   :leaving: )  For testing, you would need to get the tests and answer key.

For 7/6, 8/7, and Alg 1/2, I have the student book and the home study packet (which includes --at least for 7/6 which I'm looking at right now -- tests & answers, facts practice & answers, practice answers, problem set answers, and drill set answers).

ETA:  This maybe didn't help you at all, but it certainly helped me.  I had no idea I had all of these resources on my shelf!!!

Edited by Junie

Definitely ask around locally too. I'll bet someone has them on a shelf.

I prefer the old versions. The new ones have a different scope (the older ones had geometry included, the new ones need a separate year for geometry - though I don't know offhand which version). Also, the old ones have lesson numbers next to the practice problems (alg 1/2 and up) so it's much easier to look up something you missed or find which topic is making your student struggle.

If you look at this link, the Apr 2013 entry discusses which editions to look for when buying: http://homeschoolwithsaxon.com/newsletterpage-2013.php