Menu

Can a Francophone help me with Amazon.fr?

mathmarm

I discovered and am absolutely enamored with the pre-writing and handwriting lessons of school children in France. I want to learn more about it, but I don't speak a word of French. However, I think that the emphasis on beautiful, purposeful handwriting lessons in (some) French schools is beautiful. I wen on Amazon.fr and searched "graphisme maternelle"

Can you recommend one series above another or tell me if I'm in the wrong place completely?

These are just books with simple exercises similar to things that can be found on line for free and printed out. I am not familiar with any of these books so can't give recommendations because we mostly printed out pages and used inexpensive disposable books that I no longer have. If you want to avoid the bother and expense of importing them you can have a look at momes.net or google "exercices de graphisme" to find other sites.

http://www.momes.net/Apprendre/Francais/Exercices-de-graphisme

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

These are just books with simple exercises similar to things that can be found on line for free and printed out. I am not familiar with any of these books so can't give recommendations because we mostly printed out pages and used inexpensive disposable books that I no longer have. If you want to avoid the bother and expense of importing them you can have a look at momes.net or google "exercices de graphisme" to find other sites.

http://www.momes.net/Apprendre/Francais/Exercices-de-graphisme

Do you know of any resource that talks more about handwriting as a skill/art worth of continued practice and study? Someone on this board showed me this Youtube video and I am absolutely smitten by it.

I'm not looking for worksheets, per say, but an activity book/manual based on the philosophy the way that they talk about it in that video?

Is there anything like that that you know of? I wouldn't know how to look for it, because I don't speak French.

I'm not aware of any books on the subject that have been translated.  Doesn't Montessori emphasize handwriting? Maybe you could find something in that body of writing.

I've seen the video you linked and like it. You might also enjoy the wonderful film Etre et Avoir. Here's a trailer: 

Do you know of any resource that talks more about handwriting as a skill/art worth of continued practice and study? Someone on this board showed me this Youtube video and I am absolutely smitten by it.

I'm not looking for worksheets, per say, but an activity book/manual based on the philosophy the way that they talk about it in that video?

Is there anything like that that you know of? I wouldn't know how to look for it, because I don't speak French.

I had never seen that video!  Very sweet!  

Similar philosophy where I live.  On the one hand, the kids do have beautiful, uniform writing.  On the other hand, it is ALL THEY DO for 2+ years of school.  History and science are essentially non-existent, self-generated writing is almost nonexistent, math is kept to a very slow pace, and they just write, and write, and write, and write...  So there's pros and cons to this method.  

• Like 1

After reading your post, I thought I'd take a look at one of my favorite French resources, and I found a few things you might like:

On this page

- "Grande fiche des lettres A à Z" (first rectangular orange button)- these are full page models of each letter, and the child is supposed to roll out a play-dough snake and use it to form each letter.  She recommends laminating the pages for repeated use.  

- "Rituels des lettres ..." these are the nitty gritty handwriting practice sheets.  Starts with a letter, moves on to a syllable, then finally a word (ditto for capital letters)

• Like 2

I discovered and am absolutely enamored with the pre-writing and handwriting lessons of school children in France. I want to learn more about it, but I don't speak a word of French. However, I think that the emphasis on beautiful, purposeful handwriting lessons in (some) French schools is beautiful. I wen on Amazon.fr and searched "graphisme maternelle"

Can you recommend one series above another or tell me if I'm in the wrong place completely?

Hello,

I'm sorry that I don't know you so this isn't such a personal recommendation - but I did have enormous problems with my eldest in relation to handwriting and in the case that you have a child like him, I would not recommend the French style handwriting.

He's an adult now but when we moved here, I was enamored with the French script (and he actually was as well) and so changed him from one of the simpler American ones to that. But we did not put in the 'time' and he actually turns out to not be very manual at all (even though he could manipulate all those little Lego pieces endlessly)....Eventually we changed back and spent even more time in writing but it continues to be a disaster and painful for him. He has ADHD. A section in this article discusses it a bit: http://brainhe.com/staff/types/dysgraphiastaff.html#underlyingThey do recommend cursive for ADHD but from our experience, I would not recommend the French cursive......

Just in case it can apply for anyone's children..

• Like 2

After reading your post, I thought I'd take a look at one of my favorite French resources, and I found a few things you might like:

On this page

- "Grande fiche des lettres A à Z" (first rectangular orange button)- these are full page models of each letter, and the child is supposed to roll out a play-dough snake and use it to form each letter.  She recommends laminating the pages for repeated use.  

- "Rituels des lettres ..." these are the nitty gritty handwriting practice sheets.  Starts with a letter, moves on to a syllable, then finally a word (ditto for capital letters)

Great resource, thank you!!  All my children struggle with handwriting. We are using Graphilettre right now (slloowwwly and painfully) and I do have some larger letters like these print outs that I have had the children trace with dry erase markers and still my son goes all the wrong directions when forming and linking letters. Fixing it is our main focus this semester. 

Great resource, thank you!!  All my children struggle with handwriting. We are using Graphilettre right now (slloowwwly and painfully) and I do have some larger letters like these print outs that I have had the children trace with dry erase markers and still my son goes all the wrong directions when forming and linking letters. Fixing it is our main focus this semester. 

I thought my kids' handwriting was ok... until I signed my ds up for a correspondence course in France... when I mailed in his first assignment packet I realized how bad his handwriting really is...  lol.  Knowing someone else would be looking at it changed my perspective.  

So I ordered some handwriting books as well.  :-)  I got the ones recommended on the blog I linked above.  

• Like 1

I am a French speaker -- watching the video you linked, the *method* reminds me a lot of the way LoE teaches cursive handwriting, even if the script/font is slightly different. I expect you could use LoE method adapted to the French font Monica in Switzerland has linked to.

• Like 2

What search term should I use on Amazon fr to find French handwriting paper with the subdivisions into thirds? I've tried but failed to find anything.

Do you mean papier seyes?  Or the ones with the different heights.. I thought that was called "rails" but apparently not :)

Thank you for the font! That is a very nice one. This is the site I have used up until now: 

http://cursivecole.fr/ecriture1.php

It generates a sheet with the cursive you choose and the ruling. 

• Like 1

What search term should I use on Amazon fr to find French handwriting paper with the subdivisions into thirds? I've tried but failed to find anything.

I think that's fairly standard handwriting practice paper. LoE uses it. There is some here: http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/handwriting-paper-bw.htm

http://www.printablepaper.net/category/penmanship

If you want a booklet, there's also something like this: http://www.amazon.fr/Serpodile-9791090155060-Mon-cahier-reliure/dp/1090155069/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1453794695&sr=8-7&keywords=cahier+écriture+reliure+cursive

• Like 1

Do you mean papier seyes?  Or the ones with the different heights.. I thought that was called "rails" but apparently not :)

Thank you for the font! That is a very nice one. This is the site I have used up until now: 

http://cursivecole.fr/ecriture1.php

It generates a sheet with the cursive you choose and the ruling. 

Thank you, yes, it was papier Seyes!  

Neige- it appears the French paper is subdivided into three sections instead of two.  Short letters fill to the first line, d and t fill to the second line, all other tall letters ascend up into the third space but don't quite fill it.  I do have sone paper form the US that is subdivided into two sections, with the bottom section being 1/3 and the top being 2/3, so we'll move to that after we've worked through a bloc of Seyes.  

Thanks for putting a name on that paper for me!

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 1