Menu

What do you consider a "sale"?

Ottakee

It depends on the store because some discount more frequently than others and at different rates. I don't generally think of 10% off as much of a sale, though.

If one of my favorite clothing stores is having a 30% off sale on everything, then I take a look. I also check clearance racks periodically.

I pay more attention to sales for household products, toiletries and food than I do clothing because I don't buy clothing often. With those items, it's a combination of price and what coupons I have available as well as the store's coupon policy. Ofen the store with the highest shelf tag price will be less expensive by the time I take all of the discounts available to me.

• Like 2

I'd say 30% or more.

I dislike "buy one, get one 1/2 off" because  most of the time I don't need a 2nd item.  I realize stores do it because it encourages more buying.  But, I don't tend to go for it unless the items are a good price anyway, and I need multiples of two.

• Like 4

I suppose you havr to decide if sale = bargain or just a discount.

10% is not worth my time.

20% I might look but probably won't.

25% I might peruse if the item is already reasonably priced before the sale.

30% I may or may not look. It depends on what the item is.

40% I usually look.

50% or more and I will definitely look.

Buy one, get one 50% off is simply 25% off each item and usually not worth my time.

Buy one get one free will get me to look.

Buy two get the third free is usually not worth it.

Buy one get the second for a penny-I usually look.

• Like 6

At least 20%, more like 25-30. But it depends on the item. If it's a grocery item, and I know we will use it anyway, I'll buy some when it's 10% off, but for a bigger sale, I'll buy more and stock up. You just have to know what's the usual sale rotation.

You know what's not a sale, IMO? When they mark things down from $1.69 to $1.59. Or when Amazon tells me it's normally $10.95, but it's decreased to $10.92. I'm always like, "Didn't it cost you more than three/ten/whatever cents to tell someone to decrease it?"

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Clothing stores that tend to have everything 40% off every month or so (LOFT, Justice) means to me any discount less than that is not really a sale. But if a brand (like Under Armour) that rarely goes on sale is listed at 20% off, I consider that on sale. In a department store like Macy's, I view 30% off as a starting sale price.

Edited by Coffeemama
  • Like 1

10% - not really a sale

25% - better, but I generally don't bother

30% - thinking of Target here, I'll look, but generally go to the..

50% - I'll look 

I'm at the point, I buy what I need and try not to be tempted by sales. I don't buy a lot of clothes and tend to buy from thrift stores for general wear items. 

The Best sale to me is when they send you a $10 coupon in the mail good for any purchase over $10. I've had Kohls do that a number of months in a row, although not lately, and I just used my JCPenney one a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

Do you consider 10% off a sale, 20% off, 39% off? More? Buy one, get one 1/2 off? What number makes you stop and think....ok, that is on sale, and take a second look?

Depends on the item. Some stuff I am not interested at 90% off. But I thought the Magnatiles I got earlier this Season were a STEAL for 30% off. I just wish I could have gotten two!

For a particular Lego set I want -- 10-15% is enough to get me to look twice.

50% off clearance tag since I stay near an outlet mall. 50% off retail price is still high but if we need shoes, we'll consider because shoes are harder to buy.

Yep. For Stride Rite, we often do buy 1 get 1 50% off.

Edited by vonfirmath

The Best sale to me is when they send you a $10 coupon in the mail good for any purchase over $10. I've had Kohls do that a number of months in a row, although not lately, and I just used my JCPenney one a few weeks ago. 

I just used a coupon like that at Kohl's this weekend! I won it at a Christmas party. And used it to buy some pajamas ($20 "Marked down" from $40! But I would NEVER have paid $40. Then I had a $10 coupon.)

• Like 1

You are a lot like me. A few items that are rarely discounted I will look at 10-20% off. For most things it take 50% off or more for me to look.

At Kohls it needs to be more like 80% off with my coupons, etc as their prices are so inflated to begin with.

• Like 1

I tend to agree that it's not worth looking at unless it's about 50% off.

That said, I have to say I haven't really looked at "sales" in years.  I suspect that we spend more on frivolous purchases when we think we're getting a "bargain."  The real saving comes when you only buy what you really want/need, regardless of "sales" or other promotions.  Though if money is tight, it makes sense to "wait for a sale" before buying the thing you want - as long as you don't end up buying 3 other things.  :)

• Like 2

I'm at the point, I buy what I need and try not to be tempted by sales. I don't buy a lot of clothes and tend to buy from thrift stores for general wear items. 

I buy what we need; I rarely "shop" just to see what's out there.  

If an often-used grocery item is on sale, I may stock up, keeping in mind our usage rate, storage space, and the item's shelf life. I don't bother with coupons because they are usually for processed foods we don't eat. 

I do BJ's/Costco for non-perishables, because they have the best everyday price, but I stick to my list and buy 3 months worth at a time, so I only go about 4 times a year.  

I get fruit/veg at a local outlet, which has amazing quality, enormous variety, and low, low prices.

I don't read sale papers, or generally go to "sales" at stores, because they tend to lead me to think I need things that would not otherwise have occurred to me.

When I do buy things, I try to shop local rather than on-line if possible, so that those stores can stay in business.  I like to see before I buy.

• Like 1

it depends.  is the discount frequent, or rare? 

e.g. michaels is *always* having 50% off custom framing.  that is *not* a "sale".  (especially if you consider than 50% is still more than the msrp.)

container store doing elfa 25% off twice a year - one of those is only shelving, the other is everything - that's a sale.

It depends on the store and what kind of coupons/deals they normally have.  Some places are very predictable, such as Michael's, Ulta, Kohl's, and Bath & Body Works.  If you watch the deals and coupons long enough, you'll notice when the better deals come along versus the normal ones (and I never shop at those places without a coupon of some sort, because there's always coupons).  If it's some place like Target, for me it depends on the item.  If it's something I normally buy and it's only marked down a little, or there's only a 5% or 10% Cartwheel for it, then I buy it anyway because I figure I'll be buying it eventually anyway.  If it's something I want but don't need, then a 25% or 30% or more Cartwheel might convince me to buy it.

For places like Amazon, it helps to know what something usually costs there, so often I'll keep an eye on things that I want.  I'm not bothered by the notices for stuff in my cart going up or down a few cents.  Occasionally someone will post a link for something I've been wanting or use that really is a good deal and I'll jump on it.

And finally, no matter where I'm shopping, by the time they have stuff marked down for 75% off or more, I have to be honest with myself about whether I really want the item at all, or if I just want to buy it because it's cheap.  Usually I don't want actually want that stuff, because it's already picked over and if I wanted it, I probably would have bought it already.  So I rarely buy stuff that is on deep discount.

• Like 1

It has to be at least 30% off for me to be impressed. Sometimes 20% will turn my head, but I don't consider less than that as much of a sale.

ETA oh, that has to be a discount off the price I've had in mind since starting to shop for that item. Clothing is notoriously marked up then back down, I don't really think of much regular clothing stuff as on sale, just priced well enough for me to decide yes to buying. I was thinking mostly about books, appliances, that sort of stuff.

Edited by Seasider

It really depends on the store and the item.

We have the "Old Navy" rule, which is: NEVER ever pay regular price. That $34 shirt will be the $6 "item of the week" within a month.

I also have in mind what I can spend for an actual needed item. Say, $10 for a shirt. So I don't care if the shirt is regular-priced at $9.99, "on sale" for 20% off of $12.50, half-off $20, or 90% off $100. I've got $10, and I need a shirt. SOLD!

• Like 1