Menu

What are YOU getting for Christmas? Hubby wants to know what to get me, and I'm coming up dry.

ThelmaLou

I shop for myself:

A new pair of winter gloves, leather, nice lining

clothing - some for running, and a vest

books - I can't remember what I got myself, but I usually get everyone at least 1 book. 

I should have gotten us new cereal bowls.  All of ours have broken over the years and we've only replaced with cheap, plastic ones.  It's time to get something better.  We're also due for new glassware - just iced beverage glasses of some kind. 

And I saw the BEST travel coffee mug in Staples (I think it was Staples) that I should have gotten for myself.  It's ceramic on the inside and stainless steel on the outside.  (I loathe coffee out of a plastic to-go cup.  No.  Just no.)

• Like 1

We are having a lean Christmas this year, so I don't know what I will or will not be getting. I tend to ask for many of the same things every year:

$ to join the library system of the county next to us

soaps I like

birdseed

donations to charities that I support

tickets to see or do something (show, class, museum exhibit, etc...)

books &/or gift cards for getting some books

This year, I had a couple of things extra on my list:

a drip coffee maker (mine broke over a month ago)

maybe a color printer (ours broke months ago)

a cute soup ladle (Nessie

Someone else on the thread (Patty Joanna) mentioned asking for something beautiful. I agree with that. We have always drawn names in dh's family, but if my mil ever gets my name, I would always ask her to pick something lovely for our kitchen or home. (I like very modern styles & my mil has exquisite taste in those areas.) Through the years, I've gotten some wonderful Alessi pieces, serving platters, etc.... They're certainly not treasures I can afford for myself, but I adore the pieces & enjoy using them all the time. And, through our minimizing of stuff, all those items have made the cut.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 4

Apparently, I'm getting a new iPhone. I don't want a new phone and I have repeatedly said I don't want a new phone but I'm getting a new phone. Oh well.

Do you already have an iPhone?  If not just consider it an apparatus to listen to Morning Basket podcasts.  All of a sudden it becomes more valuable. ;)

• Like 2

I already got my yearly favorite thing, the new LEGO Winter Village set to add to our display and the awesome Gingerbread House that was free with purchase. Actually, I was very disappointed in their "new" set this year, a remake of an older one, but we made it better by also buying a second Santa's Workshop from last year (mostly to score more reindeer...who sells a Santa set with only 5 reindeer?!) and having my kids mod them all to come up with a giant Santa house, bigger workshop, and a community center/homeless shelter.

Other than that, a couple of paleo cookbooks, a Chinese cookbook, a wok to match my cookware set, a cake dome to replace my cheap plastic one, a Cricut, and a Faber-Castell mixed media art set (the last to be a shared gift with DD11). I am very excited about the pack of Insul-bright to go in my stocking so I can make myself new pot holders and hot pads that match my kitchen's decor because I haven't found any I love. Also some new sewing/quilting notions.

DD is getting a serger (and an adjustable dress form) which I plan to borrow frequently. :D

[he does painting and nerf customization and other thing that are mostly fine detail]

So cool! My oldest DS would love to start customizing his Nerf Arsenal. Can you recommend a good web site for learning about the basics and different options/examples?

• Like 3

My mil gave me a quesidilla maker. I said I wanted to try and make my own tortillas and wanted a tortilla press. Translation in her head must have gone like this: that's crazy. She must have meant a quesidilla maker."

I will admit to being skeptical of this device. It is not such a challenge to make a quesidilla in a pan. However, I used it today and it was a darn tasty quesidilla. I do believe I will actually use this with some frequency. I still want a tortilla press.

• Like 4

I think if someone gave me some money to buy something for myself for Christmas, I might get some more Zella workout wear.  I have a pair of their leggings, and I LOVE them.  It would be nice to have a pair of pedal pusher length ones as well, or some of their long one with the mesh cut outs and the wild patterns.  I am pretty overweight and it has been a long time since I've found exercise wear that I felt I looked presentable in, albeit I would be the first to say 'Those aren't pants' and wear them in public only with really long shirts.

• Like 1

I'm getting a new food processor--mine broke and Hubby got a free one from his work for his anniversary.  Disclaimer--he had me look over the options for his gift, and we didn't need anything else off the list.  So a win for me and probably for him too...I cook, he eats. 

I did my customary shop for gifts for me from the kids....I put them in a bag and Hubby lets the kids pick out and wrap what they want.  Its easy for him since he is working....this year is new kitchen towels, a fancy candle, and a breadboard.   :-)   

• Like 2

I am not sure what I am getting from my family, although I have dropped many hints. I am hoping to receive a bottle of Red perfume. I normally stay away from perfume, as it is usually to overpowering and prefer body sprays, but love this scent.

I would like to get caught up on my children'scrapbooks, so would like to get digital prints off the computer and a couple of Project Life core kits.

We need to replace our pans, as the ones we have are loosing the non stick coating. Will never buy those again. Thanks to the recomendations here, I now want the Tramontina try ply all clad stainless steel pans set.

Edited by kandesmom
  • Like 1

I bought myself a groupon for a three month subscription to yogadownload.com. I'm also receiving a new silicone turner/spatula and a box of tea. It's a lean Christmas here due to a catastrophic car failure, but I'm super excited about a new spatula and the yoga!

So often, it's just the little things, isn't it?  :)

• Like 3

I know I'm getting an hour-long deep tissue professional massage. :) My husband and I agreed to get those for each other, and it helped when I found a groupon that made the price affordable for us as gifts. I've also bought myself a few things this week:

• some great boot socks from Torrid that actually go over my wide calves, stay up all day, and don't bind! This is huge, as I wear fairly long skirts year-round, hate tights, and have been struggling to find some way to keep my legs warm in winter. Regular knee-highs aren't long enough but these are perfect.
  • some new nightgowns. I tend to prefer to shop at thrift stores, but not a lot of nightgowns in my size and preferred material tend to show up, even fewer in prints I actually like, so I splurged.

On my Amazon wishlist as options:

• subscription to AcornTV, a streaming service for British TV, and just recently available as an add-on to Amazon Prime, which we have.
  • new 7 qt slow cooker with the ability to set the time and temp separately. The programmable one I have doesn't do this and I find it really aggravating.
  • The original "Man From Uncle" seasons on dvd
  • an RFID-blocking wallet
  • an accupressure mat and pillow set
  • book on Neil Gaiman and philosophy
  • Like 2

Do you already have an iPhone?  If not just consider it an apparatus to listen to Morning Basket podcasts.  All of a sudden it becomes more valuable. ;)

Yeah, I already have one and I like it as is. I'm of the mind that if it works fine and still can be upgraded then I don't need a new phone. Guys must think differently. At least mine does from the way I think. ;)

• Like 1

I don't know what they ended up getting me.  Which is nice..lol.

I'm kind of hoping for this: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Coloring-Star-Wars-Creativity/dp/1484757386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450652495&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+adult+coloring+book

And a thermos travel mug.

Maybe a sweater?  

Oh, and maybe The Last of Us for PS4

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

I got myself a two boxes of my favorite pens (colored no less! didn't know they made them colored!) and a dotted moleskine journal.  Should arrive on Wednesday, which I will promptly wrap and act completely surprised on Christmas Day.

He already gave me my Christmas presents.  I got a snowboard w/ all the gear (boots, pants, coat, gloves) and he also got me a wedding band so I don't have to wear my diamond anymore.  If I were to choose my present it would be books or education in my field of interest.

• Like 1

I know that I am getting new slippers and an AncestryDNA kit.  That plus our cruise we got home from a week ago was supposed to be it (beyond small stocking stuffer items).  Now he is insinuating that he has ordered me something.  This is bad because he bought everything on his list for himself on Black Friday and I will wrap it all for him.  He likes surprises though so I got him an automatic card shuffler (the man can't shuffle a deck of cards).  It was all of $10 and he will probably roll his eyes at it.  Now I don't know if I should go get him something else and how much to spend.

I am glad that he ordered something though.  I hope that means there will NOT be a massage gift card for me.  You would have thought that after it took me 2 years to use the first one, that maybe it wasn't high on my priorities.  Instead, he bought another one that year and I still haven't used it.  I have touch sensory issues and he might as well send me into a torture chamber for Christmas.

• Like 1

I am getting a flatiron for my hair & a pair of shoes. My flatiron broke about 6 months ago. I'm definitely looking forward to opening that up on Christmas morning! Haha! 

I also asked for a Stitch Fix box, which I received on Thursday. That was so much fun. I went online, filled out a profile, & waited. I have enjoyed my new things all weekend!

DH is getting a fleece & a dehydrator. He's been asking for one for YEARS. He wants to make his own jerky. I've put him off for a very long time, but this year I was in WM & saw an Excalibur on the shelf. DH gets his dehydrator this year! He'll be so excited. Maybe I'll buy some fruit or a cut of beef in the fridge so he can play with it :).

So many great ideas! I think I've narrowed it down to a set of bluetooth headphones, this Casio Champagne colored watch (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-BG169G-4-Champagne-Watch/dp/B008XDC1NU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450665390&sr=8-2&keywords=champagne+watch)

the ESV Reader's Bible, and several books. Hubby wants to surprise me with a gift certificate. I'm thinking probably massage or pedicure, but can't be sure. And I gave him some little stocking stuffer ideas, too.

I've added several of your suggestions to my Amazon wish list! I knew you guys would give me some great ideas!

• Like 2

I got myself some Star Wars pajamas.  DH does not buy me anything, so I bought myself a new red hand mixer before TG (I hosted) and I consider that part of my Christmas.  The kids asked for a list, so I said a Bagalini purse and some pretty pie plates.  I don't know what else I told them, but I know they got me something ;)

How does that work?  My last one died because it accidentally went through the washing machine. . . .

That's how I killed my last one too! Now I get the square trade warranty. I think its $20 give or take, and covers any damage, including washing machine, etc. I think there is a $10 deductible. For me, it's worth it because I break things a lot. I have square trade warranties on my kindle, phone, fitbit, etc. They are very easy to work with too. We've had several claims. 

www.squaretrade.com

• Like 2

Well, I bought several big ticket items for myself on Cyber Monday (Fitbit, Instant Pot.)  So, dh wanted to get me a book.  He asked me what I wanted, but I really don't know.  So, I wrote a list of things I have liked and things I didn't like for him to take to our local independent book store.  I'm sure the staff picked something fun. 

I am getting

*a few beautiful hair barrettes made out of gourds

*a regular didgeridoo

*a small travel didgeridoo

*a couple of coloring books

*a few bottles of essential oils

*twin size electric blanket

*a DVD

*3 moleskine notebooks

*a rice pack (I love these things and burn through at least one every year)

*chapstick

*fuzzy socks

*and a beautiful Labyrinth necklace made from disarmed and discarded nuclear weaponry by From War to Peace

• Like 1

I'm getting books. I know because before my dad passed away he and my mom decided they would give ds and me money to buy our own gifts. I already bought the books. It was fitting to buy books as my dad always supported us having books as a kid. He used to call me up for library sales and then pay for mine. He took me to Border's closing sales a few times and bought me a lot of books there. 

I'm also getting a new pair of Palladium boots, I have a different color and love them. I'm also getting some new calligraphy pens

My mom also bought us a new TV, our last one was an old tube TV. 

• Like 3

Didn't read other posts. I am considered getting myself a FitBit, hopefully during an after xmas sale.

Since having the kids and money always being tight, we don't "gift" each other stuff. Plus, dh was never good at gift giving (sounds cliche, seriously, I totally blame his parents.) The easiest thing to do is have me buy me what I want and tell him thanks for the gift. Makes both of us happy.

After years of not hardly doing gifts for each other we've decided that it can be quite fun. Dh was hoping to surprise me this year but alas his plan to buy locally fell through so he had to order through Amazon.

Insta-Pot with Great Food Fast

. I was a bit hesitant at first but I'm excited now. I like to cook and I'm a bit spoiled to good tasting food, well with 4 kids and being busy unfortunately cooking gets pushed down the list all too often and I end up short on time and then I end up annoyed because things I want to cook and eat take too long so we end up having the basics all too often. The taste is supposed to be good from the Insta Pot, which is a necessity as it is I don't hardly use the crockpot because it doesn't taste good enough(same with freezer cooking). I love that this has a timer as well because that also stops crockpot usage as mine doesn't. I'm also getting a cookbook to go with it. I'm hoping however that I'll learn the basics soon enough and can modify it to suite us-

I used Amazon's 40% book coupon to buy myself- On Food and Cooking- as I've been quite enjoying learning the how, what and whys to cooking. The Flavor Bible was also contender, I'll have to get it next.

I thought about another cookbook for those times when I'm not crushed for time or energy but I'm still working pretty steadily through:

The New Best Recipe(everything from this turns out exquisite) and Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking  (from Christmas last year)

When I do decide to buy a cookbook first on my list I believe is Fragaso's Everyday Paleo: Thai Cuisine- I checked it out from the library and was quite impressed. Unfortunately it seems a lot of Paleo recipes are rather basic- here make spaghetti but use zucchini instead but Fragaso actually travelled to Thailand so she has authentic recipes but also how to make Thai pantry staples that are paleo and gf- which is amazing- as I can't find such things around here so I end up searching down substitutions.

Also, for the first time ever I'm asking for a purse, I haven't carried a purse in probably a decade or more- I did put my stuff in the diaper bag as I hate carrying extra stuff but now I don't have a diaper bag anymore and haven't for well over a year but I hadn't been able to find a bag I like so I just carry all my stuff in my hand or jacket pockets if it is cold. Now a friend has a Lug purse and I just loved it when I first saw it- it is not what I would have picked out shopping but seeing it in person, I'm a fan. My friend has a small navy one she is selling which I might be buying if I like the style.

My favorite is the Mini Shoulder Pouch in Ocean Blue or Grass Green.

Another thing I've asked for is natural perfume- I stopped wearing perfume probably 15 years ago but I will put on a dab of oils here and there, well my friend let me know about some natural perfume called Pacifica that uses essential oils and I'm dying to have some. However, that is going to wait until I can smell it in person.

As to other things I want:

new Merrel Vaporgloves- I've nearly worn a hole in mine I love them so

new Sanuks- I did wear a hole in them!

a nice Mandoline

necklaces- but not traditional jewelry- again my friend is supposed to be helping dh pick some stuff out

Dh has asked for a nightstand, as it is we have been using a hand me down bedroom set from his grandparents that is quite possibly the cheapest thing ever made and only has 2 dressers. Something else always was higher on the priority list and even when I have looked for something to replace it I haven't found anything I like in price range so we are planning an after Christmas run to Ikea to pick out something with Christmas money from our parents at which time I'll also pick out some perfume as well :)

DD is getting a serger (and an adjustable dress form) which I plan to borrow frequently. :D

My daughter is taking sewing classes now and is obsessed with sergers but I told her I'm upgraded our sewing machine first but that is going to cost more than we have right now because we're buying for longevity this time!

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

On Christmas Day?  I've no idea, but I told my boys we could use a new wall calendar with nice travel pics on it and I saw a Made in USA can opener at Wally World a couple weeks back, so those might be there.  I've no idea what my mom got us or if the boys will get creative.

Hubby and I don't exchange gifts.  We use the season to buy something we want/need together, so already got ourselves a new mattress and 2014 Ford Escape.  We share both and love both.

Mostly, I've got my present(s) here with me now.  Two of my boys and my mom are here for Christmas.  The time we'll spend together the next three days (before she leaves) is priceless and more worthy (to me) than any gift.

• Like 3

Neither dh and I are big gift people so we usually just do stockings for each other with small things. I know I'm getting the new Sara Groves CD because I get the emails from Amazon. :) He might put some other things in there like cinnamon Altoids. I got him some wool socks and a Frames CD. 

And I just bought myself the new edition of The Well-Educated Mind which I didn't know was out before reading this thread. : )