Menu

What are YOU getting for Christmas? Hubby wants to know what to get me, and I'm coming up dry.

ThelmaLou

I don't know yet, but do you want practical, sentimental, or fun?

We don't spend much at Christmas, but my favorite gifts last year were homemade coupons from my kids to take me to dinner and a movie. I enjoyed those much more than any stuff.

We love board games and get 1-2 new ones every year.

• Like 1

I like fun cooking things.  I actually had to explain this to my son, who looked at my Amazon wish list and said he didn't want to get me cooking stuff as that seemed like work.  I told him that stuff on my list, like popover, souffle, and flan pans, were fun cooking things and great gifts for me!   He said he specifically did not want to get me the flan pan as that is his favorite dessert and he felt he would benefit too much from the gift.  :-)   I did tell him that for me, a new toaster oven would not be a good gift, as that is something we cannot live without.  A utility rather than a fun toy.

That said, my best gifts from my husband were my Le Creuset Dutch Oven, and All-clad cookware. 

But, that only works if you like that sort of thing! 

My gift this year is a smartphone.  I told my husband I've had it with the flip phone and to find me a good "real" phone. Our son is getting one too. 

• Like 4

I'm getting:

a kayak (and, hopefully, a paddle)

yarn

crochet kit and book (so I can teach myself to crochet)

the new edition of the Well Educated Mind

pressure cooker (electric) and cookbook

slow cooker cook book

and, maybe, some more Fiestaware (I hope)

Oh, I would love a kayak! Enjoy it!

• Like 2

Hopefully some decent earrings, some of the Dorothy Sayers books turned into movies, some wood cut for Ana White projects I have, and dh just built me a beautiful arbor. I also asked for a ceramic backsplash, and for him to build a farmhouse table from our barnwood, but think I'll have to wait on those two. 

• Like 4

I'm not supposed to know this, but I overheard my DH talking to someone about some earrings that I saw and admired, which he was arranging to have sent to him.  So that's it, LOL.  They are really neat, with a 'new birth' kind of theme that will be perfect for me next year.

For my birthday, he noticed that my watch was always running out of batteries--battery life gets shorter and shorter as a watch ages and I have had this one for years and years.  So he bought me a solar one, that supposedly never will need a battery change.  I don't like it as much, because of the lines on the bezel, which I assume are for the solar charging, but I imagine I will get used to it, and it WAS thoughtful.

• Like 2

A Fitbit, the latest Well Educated Mind, and a piece of artwork made by my grandfather is being framed. It's a weird shape so I have never been able to display it since I could never talk myself into splurging for a custom frame.

Edited by ksr5377
  • Like 5

Not sure what I am getting from dh but I did get $150 in Amazon gift cards from one of the doctors I work for.  I bought myself a pair of awesome socks, a new heating pad and a new Kitchenaid blender.  Any cash that I from my Mom and MIL is going towards new fiesta ware dishes with maybe a sprinkling of the new Pioneer Woman dishes thrown in for variety. 

• Like 2

I'm getting two hair clips - nice pretty beaded ones - which I asked for (the surprise is which particular ones). (Hair jewelry is the only jewelry I wear on a regular basis ;) and it's kind of tradition for dh to get me a few new ones each Christmas :).). My mom is getting us some pampered chef spices. I love to read, but I buy myself books throughout the year, so I don't really have any to put on a list. I asked for a nice warm pair of gloves, but dh wasn't sure about buying those without me trying them on.

• Like 2

No clue. We don't do lists around here, on the theory that a Christmas gift should be a surprise. However, for the last several years, I've strongly encouraged my family members to consider making a donation to charity for me. One year, they each chose a charity and made me an ornament for the Christmas tree that represented the organization.

• Like 2

I know that I am getting new pjs.  I hope that I am getting an amazon gift card for the kindle books that I want.  There is a surprise, and I do not have a guess on that one.

My husband gets me a couple of kindle books every year. He prints out a "Happy Kindlemas" list with book covers that I unwrap.  If I don't want the ones he picked for a full credit (if the books are unread).  I think it's nice because he puts some thought into the gift, but I still have a lot of freedom to get what I really want.

• Like 4

I bought myself a new tattoo, got it done this past Thursday.  I don't get anything from my kids, I have no husband.  My folks will get me something but not sure what.  I asked for only 3 things, guaranteed my folks will ignore that list and get me what my mom likes (as usual) and I will drop it at good will on the way home (she usually refuses to give me the receipts to exchange things, instead tries to lay a guilt trip about her gifts not being good enough).

So each year I try to get something for myself that I have been wanting.  This year it was my semi colon tattoo.

• Like 8

What I really want is a rowing machine for our home, but the one I have my eye on is way out of the budget, so I will have to save up for a while if that's ever going to happen.

I told DH what I want is for him to clear all his junk out of the basement room so the kids could have a place to hang out with their friends. I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Ask for something that is beautiful. I'm a really pragmatic person but over the years I have found that things of beauty are the things I am keeping in these years of simplification. A beautiful vase and flowers to fill it once s month---that would be a lovely gift.

dh cooks. for fun.

I bought dh an all-clad d5 6qt nonstick saute pan (everyone loaths his frying pan) off ebay - the deal was satisfying. . . . well, things happened, so that's now my gift. :glare: I will enjoy using it.

which meant I also had to come up with something else for him :toetap05:  . . . I got him the 2vol julia child's art of french cooking - and a lodge enamel french oven. I'll use those too . . . ;) 

but hey - he just bought me gold earrings for rememberence now that we have been married for more than half of *his* life.

• Like 2

I buy dh a 6 pack of wine every year.  LOL (I am a beer drinker, so it is all for him)  I have a wine steward that I know, pick out about $100 worth of wine. It is more per bottle that dh would normally spend on a bottle, so it is definitely a special treat that lasts him several months. 

I buy my own gifts, and I don't think I am getting myself anything this year.  If I do, I will replace my shredder attachment for my Kitchenaid.  

Just for ideas...in years past I have bought myself:  (Warning: there is a definite theme LOL)

A Denby baking dish

A Kirkland Dutch Oven

An All Clad skillet

Tickets to a Broadway performance

My Vitamix was a birthday present

Full set of Fiestaware

Several outfits from Eddie Bauer

Northface Jacket

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

On my wishlist:

a rack to organize flattish kitchen things (pyrex baking dishes and lids, cutting board, cookie sheets)

Pioneer Girl

the new illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

a couple of adult coloring books with Prismacolor pencils

a couple of kindle books

a Le Creuset grill pan

a yoga DVD

the newish live action Cinderella movie

I'm not totally sure what all on my list I'll be receiving, except that I know my mom got me the kitchen rack (she didn't wrap it well, and the paper was falling off when I pulled it out of the shipping box--not too surprising, as she still has some fine motor issues from a stroke early this year). I know my husband bought something from Barnes & Noble, so one or more of the books is probably on the way. For the first time in years, I have no idea what my mother-in-law chose--my husband intercepted her package and hid it away before I ever saw it--but she always chooses something off my wish list.

• Like 2

I'm one of those that buys stuff and just says, "Merry Christmas, me!"

Target PJ set - I'd had my eye on it for over a month and got them yesterday for half off.

Eyeshadow palette and makeup remover from Sephora - I had a VIB coupon that I used.

I may squeeze in ER season 11 on DVD from Amazon when my consignment $ comes through.

I will also treat myself to an eyebrow/upper lip wax after Christmas when I go buy my Grumpy Cat calendar.  :D

• Like 1

I've gotten a camera early because our old frustrating one died and I really like taking photos. We literally were discussing bridge cameras on sale, found one that fit my needs [i need all the anti-shake and anti-blur I can get between my hands and our kids], and he told me either I was going to buy it or he was going to buy it for me because I have an awful habit of finding nice things, discussing it with him, then putting it in a folder or wishlist and never mentioning it again and buying things for everyone else. I have no idea what else he bought other than it is 3 things, totaling about Ă‚Â£40, one has to do with a TV show we like watching as a family. I've also bought for myself 4 sweaters and a long sleeve shirt-dress that kinda looks Star Trekkie which I'm counting a for it because when going through clothes for winter we found I'd ended up sending all but 2 sweaters to textile recycling at some point this year when they'd all fallen apart and never replaced them [one of the sweaters left is older than all my kids. I apparently also never buy myself clothes until my lack of something is repeatedly pointed out to me and I keep being confused at not having anything warm enough]. 

My partner has said he'd like more crafting gear as he wants to get back into it [he does painting and nerf customization and other thing that are mostly fine detai], more co-op and multiplayer games that we can play together, and/or RPG games that are different from what we already have. As 2 of those 3 can be bought online with instant access [and I do not know that much about his crafting to buy without his input], I'm looking more into those. He commented months back he wanted to run on the FATE system so I'm mostly looking at that. Even that is hard to buy for him as whenever I've mentioned history based ones [he's a trained up archaeological scientist turned hotel night manager] he complains that none of out other friends that we play with will do the history roles "right". 

I know he bought his mum a knitting themed mug and kindle voucher and his stepfather mini-tools for fine detailed work. 

• Like 2

I'm a geek :). We did our family exchange before heading to FL, and DH and DD got me

Two superhero knit tank dresses

A Doctor Who throw

The first three seasons of the Muppet Show

A new bag (I like commuter bags that are big enough to hold my iPad)

A set of chromatic boomwhackers (because DD remembered that I'd been working on Star Wars arrangements for music camp this year :) )

I found the Doctor Who Legos, so I bought them for myself-although I fully expect DD to inherit them fairly soon since we didn't buy two sets (the store only had three, and I know a lot of people were looking for them).

• Like 3