Menu

son is home from college -- how he has changed

MyThreeSons

Less than an hour after getting home, ds texted me from our guest apartment (attached to our house, but separate entrance), which is where he had been living for several years before going to college this Fall. His message? "This apartment is absolutely disgusting. I will be doing some serious cleaning tomorrow." (It is much better than it was when he was living there. They had twice-weekly room checks at college.) I like this change.

• Like 19

What college is he attending?

He is in the gap year program OneLife at Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, PA. 

It is a fantastic program. He is learning so much and being challenged daily in many areas of his life. He will earn 30 credits this year, while getting a chance to travel, do lots of service projects, and various nontraditional learning experiences. 

You can find out more about it here: http://www.onelifepath.org/

• Like 3

What kind of college does twice weekly room checks? Are they looking for drugs or just making sure things are clean? I'm not trying to be impolite, but the thought of room checking young adults kind of gives me the creeps, sort of reformatory-school type stuff.

One of the goals of this gap year program is to help kids develop personal discipline in all areas of their lives. The kids know going in that this is part of the deal. My son is grateful for it. 

The program definitely isn't for everyone. Another thing they do, which has kept some kids away, is that they have a couple of "no electronics" days each week, when the wi-fi is turned off in their apartments and classroom. And they don't have access to their phones except on Sundays or when they're traveling. Again, my son appreciates the "heads-up" relationship building. He and the other kids in the program have developed some really close friendships as they cannot hid behind their phones. 

I posted a link to the program above. 

Edited by MyThreeSons
  • Like 2

That is really wonderful.  Sounds like a neat program.

When I was a Freshman, we actually had a maid that came in once per week to clean the bathroom.  It was not a super fancy college, but it was part of what the dorm fees covered.  Most rooms had three students, and the dorms were usually co-ed.  As the mother of three boys, I can imagine how nasty some of the boys' bathrooms would have gotten without a regular cleaning.

My sophomore guy has been doing some deep cleaning and decluttering around our house too.  Both hubby and I returned from work today to find his room, our mudroom, and a shelf over our oven all cleaned up very nicely.  Yesterday he did a game area and an area with a bunch of houseplants plus an older fishtank.

He's already done a bit with the landscaping outside too.

I mentioned all this to my mom on the phone and she wanted to know if he was available to hire... (she lives 8 hours away or else I'd let her borrow him for a day).

He was our most messy and laziest youngster.  (He'll even admit this.)  He's the one I wrote this thread about:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540328-to-my-future-dil/

I love what college has done for him (all except for that "can't be bothered to do the work" attitude mentioned in the first semester thread - at least that was just one class).

• Like 4

That is really wonderful.  Sounds like a neat program.

When I was a Freshman, we actually had a maid that came in once per week to clean the bathroom.  It was not a super fancy college, but it was part of what the dorm fees covered.  Most rooms had three students, and the dorms were usually co-ed.  As the mother of three boys, I can imagine how nasty some of the boys' bathrooms would have gotten without a regular cleaning.

Within the first few days, my son and his roommates agreed that whenever possible, they would use "the facilities" in their classroom building or the student center/library building, both of which are just across the courtyard from their place. 

• Like 2