Menu

manipulatives and fine motor activities cross posted

Melissa in Australia

firstly thank you everyone to responding to my post.

I have been granted some money to buy the twins some aids to help with their fine motor development. I have spent a bit  on things like tap tap, spinning tops, pattern blocks, various apps for ipad. We have a massive amount of Duplo, playdough toys etc.  already.

I have money left over and have run out of ideas. I have been told to spend it before the end of the year.

suggestions anyone??

Do you have some "squeezy" things? That squeezing motion of closing the thumb and first few fingers is great for getting ready to hold a pencil. Big plastic tweezers, pompoms, and cups or ice cube trays for sorting are a great activity. Eyedroppers are a lot of fun, too, especially if you put a few drops of a different food coloring in water and then invite your kids to mix the colors by dropping them on a plate or into ice cube trays. (Yes, we really got a lot of use out our ice cube trays for a few years at my house!) Kumon makes some nice fine motor workbooks if you'd like something that has a progressive structure, too. My daughter really enjoyed their "Let's Cut Paper," "Let's Fold," and "Let's Color" books. 

• Like 1

Jr LOVEs his Kumon workbook pages. One night we got home late and I told him he would get a bath and go straight to bed, he pitched a fit because he wanted to cut and do his maze. He made a ruckus and finally his daddy said let him do his workbook pages.

So he sat naked at his little desk and did his pages because he would NOT take his bath before doing his pages.

The cutting and mazes books are a lot of fun for him.

• Like 3