Menu

White Elephant gift exchange ideas?

MyThreeSons

Tomorrow evening, I am going to a ladies-only Christmas party with friends from my new church. I really don't know them very well. 

I'd love suggestions for an inexpensive ($10, I think ) gift to take for the White Elephant gift exchange. I don't have anything hanging around my house that I would want to take. 

I had to buy 3 white elephant gifts in the 10-12 dollar range.  I got Unicorn slippers, an Olaf beach towel, and a local events calendar.  I think quirky things are fun!  Ok - the local events calendar is not quirky, but given my audience they aren't super receptive to quirky stuff

For white elephant gifts, I prefer consumable gifts because then the recipient isn't stuck with clutter sitting around.  Things I've used or thought about using over the years:

A 12 pound tub of popcorn kernels, giant pack of toilet paper, package of assorted batteries, a 6 pound bag of assorted beans/lentil for soup with a bottle of beano, box of chocolates (not really white elephant but definitely the gift people are fighting for).  I've also thought about a large box of citrus fruit, hunk of cheese, any overly large sized package of food items. 

• Like 2

A small live lobster from the grocery store is always a funny gift to open. It might be slightly over your budget, but the laughs are worth it.

I am sorry but I need to say something. Please do not do this. I get that it is funny to open a live lobster but this is a living animal. It is not a toy. It is bad enough that the poor thing is someone's meal but torturing it for the sake of a laugh is just cruel.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 9

Are the gifts meant to be jokes, or real things?

Since you don't know them very well, I wouldn't take anything of, ah... questionable taste. :-).  A Christmas coffee mug would be safe, because it would be plausible that you had it around the house. 

Do you have a 5 Below store near you? I've found there are a lot of good things there. 

This year we picked up a Star Wars mug and hot chocolate gift pack from Walmart. It was very popular, but that was for a group of mostly young men so not sure how it would go over for a bunch of women.

White elephant swaps can vary so much!

To me it's stuff you own and don't want anymore but someone else *will* want it.

If I don't have anything I hit resale or buy something new.

Some groups we've been in though think of white elephant as a time to try to out do each other with shocking things. It's often not fun because most people end up with stuff that is really *not* a gift.

Oh...and there always seems to be some inside joke and orders to "bring that back next year" on certain items.

Sorry to rant!

Eta:

I like the mug idea! With cocoa and candy canes or tea and possibly honey.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

the 10lb panettone from costco.  at least locally, they just dropped the price to $9. (they were orginally $24, but not many were being sold.)   now they're selling.  dh bought one for a business group he has to bring a gift for next week. 

panettone is very yummy.  when costco gets them in, I'll buy several that are rationed out.  though I have two kids who'd be happy to have an entire one all to themselves. . . .

• Like 3

Here's what I ended up with: a Christmas coffee mug that comes packed with a package of hot chocolate mix and some peppermint bark candy. It was on sale at OfficeMax, of all places. 

Then I went next door to Party City and bought a Christmasy burlap wine bottle gift bag that is just the right size for the tallish mug and contents. I know that this group is not a "no alcohol" church, so someone may choose it expecting wine, but I don't think anyone will be offended by hot chocolate and candy instead. 

• Like 8

Here's what I ended up with: a Christmas coffee mug that comes packed with a package of hot chocolate mix and some peppermint bark candy. It was on sale at OfficeMax, of all places. 

Then I went next door to Party City and bought a Christmasy burlap wine bottle gift bag that is just the right size for the tallish mug and contents. I know that this group is not a "no alcohol" church, so someone may choose it expecting wine, but I don't think anyone will be offended by hot chocolate and candy instead. 

Sounds perfect!

I have a love-hate relationship with white elephants. I think it's so hard to know what people mean and what the expectations are. Dh's office does one every year. When we were dating I went with him for the first time to the party and he told me to bring a gift for the white elephant. Dh's description was something funny. I found a bunch of funny Star Wars Pez at a store (this was about the time that Episodes I-III were coming out). I thought that was fun. I will never forget how upset the person who got them was. Most people brought what I would consider nice presents so mine were out of place. Luckily it was anonymous and I didn't claim them. :)

Our family has been to three White Elephants so far this year. The most popular gift at oldest son's Boy Scout White Elephant was 2 2-liter bottles of soda wrapped in a shoebox with a label that said "Shake Before Opening". At our homeschool co-op White Elephant it was anything with chocolate and at Dh's office party it was alcohol. 

• Like 1

I remember attending a church white elephant party with dh back when we were engaged.  Everyone at the party was single, and it was basically a mixer so people could get to know each other.  Most of the gifts were inexpensive items, but still relatively nice and/or funny, such as a wooden back roller or The Preppy Handbook.  Then, there was the ugly, used planter that had mineral deposits and dirt still in it.  It was awful, and the recipient was clearly dismayed, to the loud amusement of the woman who brought it.  Even worse, she asked the recipient for the gift bag back.  I learned some important lessons that night: always take something that's a real gift, even if it's silly, and never ask for the gift bag back.  I also learned that girls who look clueless, mean, and cheap don't get dates.  Never married, last I heard.

ETA:  Oops, sorry, meant to suggest some things for the OP.  Do you have Sam's Club near you?  The salted caramel chocolates are delicious, as are the Belgian chocolate truffles, both around $10.  Their fresh pies are delicious, too.  A nice Christmas mug with a package of herbal teas or hot chocolate or a Starbucks gift card.  Is there a thrift store near you?  You might find a pretty vintage tin or some other attractive knick-knack.   

Edited by klmama
  • Like 3

We go to a white elephant birthday party every year. The gifts are truly horrible crap that you really don't want. Just junk that's sitting around the house. The first year I gave Valentine candy. The second year we brought a goofy hat and t-shirt. Someone actually brought a box of chicks and a bag of feed.  :glare: I've wised up and am not buying anything nice this year. Last year someone brought a half-eaten bag of chocolate. I'm planning on doing something from http://www.thedatingdivas.com/holidays/christmas/50-hilarious-and-creative-white-elephant-gift-ideas/ for this year. I really dislike white elephant exchanges but this a good friend of DH.

Several years ago, I attended another ladies-only Christmas party, with my old church. The hilarious white elephant hit of the evening was some sort of Christmas underwear. I don't remember the details, but they were pretty racy, although not extremely so. The woman who opened the gift originally was our eldest member, a very proper English woman. She blushed profusely, and laughed. To my surprise, they ended up being "stolen" several times over the evening. 

The great thing was that they returned the next year, and I think one more year. 

• Like 2

I used to collect ceramic elephants. I stopped caring about them a few years ago and stuck them in the attic.

Whenever I go to a white elephant exchange I now take one of my elephants and apologize for it not being white, but brown or grey was the best I could do. ;)

• Like 4

Several years ago, I attended another ladies-only Christmas party, with my old church. The hilarious white elephant hit of the evening was some sort of Christmas underwear. I don't remember the details, but they were pretty racy, although not extremely so. The woman who opened the gift originally was our eldest member, a very proper English woman. She blushed profusely, and laughed. To my surprise, they ended up being "stolen" several times over the evening. 

The great thing was that they returned the next year, and I think one more year. 

Knowing your audience is important. I've never been to a 100% G-rated white elephant gift exchange--friends, family, practicing Christians or not, and had no trouble getting and staying married. Maybe it was the love of racy underwear?  :lol:

Edited by Sneezyone

To me it's stuff you own and don't want anymore but someone else *will* want it.

Some groups we've been in though think of white elephant as a time to try to out do each other with shocking things. It's often not fun because most people end up with stuff that is really *not* a gift.

Oh...and there always seems to be some inside joke and orders to "bring that back next year" on certain items.

Sorry to rant!

Eta:

I like the mug idea! With cocoa and candy canes or tea and possibly honey.

So true............. I've found that different groups have different ideas of what it means. In some groups, what they really mean is that they're playing dirty Santa but are expecting people to bring new, nice gifts for the price range given. I've only been to one, and that was probably twenty years ago, where it was truly white elephant, where you bring something you already own from home.

• Like 1

If I'm going to spend $10, I don't think it should be spent on junk.  A small bath gel set is nice.  An umbrella.  A box of chocolates.  A picture frame.  A large tin of popcorn.

And I've been to many white elephant exchanges.  It's a mixture of nice small stuff and total junk.  The people that receive the junk are never happy.

Do you have a 5 Below store near you? I've found there are a lot of good things there. 

This year we picked up a Star Wars mug and hot chocolate gift pack from Walmart. It was very popular, but that was for a group of mostly young men so not sure how it would go over for a bunch of women.

The Star Wars alarm clock in our swap was fought over by most of the husbands of the couples (And some of the wives trying to get it for their husband)

• Like 1

Agreed, We have one item like that -- that "must come back" (Some sort of never opened gingerbread house from YEARS ago). The person who brought it this year added another gift to it and if I ever get stuck with it, nad manage to hold onto it the whole year, that is what I will do as well. It is not fair that the person who gets the tradition gift is stuck without anything, really.

My old moms group did this. Hits were paper white bulbs planted in a nice planter, coffee gift card, nice travel mug and nice mug with nice tea set. Also one of those thingergigs that melts fragrant wax with a light bulb.

Chocolates always good IMHO. Good luck.

OH--and with my elephant from my collection (I'm the poster who brings an actual ceramic elephant) I also do bring another little item so the person who gets my gift isn't miserable.  A little throw blanket or candle or something.

Though, turns out that all three times I brought the elephant, the people who got them really liked them and decorated with them in their houses.  It's been years, but those elephants are still on display in their homes.  :) 

• Like 2

Our youth group borrowed one of my guinea pigs for a white elephant gift exchange, and that was hilarious. They boxed him up right before the event with some appropriate treats and then they put air hole in the box and w big DO NOT SHAKE sign on it. They made the teen open it on the floor and my piggie had almost chewed through the corner in glee :D

He came back to me after the event but all the petting and veggie bits were quite popular. I thought borrowing a pet was the best kind of animal surprise, provided the animal isn't easily stressed or unacclimated to people.

Edited by Arctic Mama

OH--and with my elephant from my collection (I'm the poster who brings an actual ceramic elephant) I also do bring another little item so the person who gets my gift isn't miserable.  A little throw blanket or candle or something.

Though, turns out that all three times I brought the elephant, the people who got them really liked them and decorated with them in their houses.  It's been years, but those elephants are still on display in their homes.  :)

I'd love to receive an elephant at an exchange and would definitely trade other items to get it!  :)

Whatever you do, do NOT raid your mother's stash of novels that she got from the used-book exchange.  They will invariably automatically open to the racy sex scenes, which will be read aloud by the recipient, who will loudly announce that you must have really enjoyed those sections since that is obviously the most read section.  <My face is getting red just remembering this ill-fated Christmas party.> 

• Like 5

We went to a White Elephant exchange where the theme of the gift was Christmas carols.  I used my $10 to buy a picture frame and I printed an image of a DNA test off the internet to go in the frame.  The carol referenced was "What Child Is This?"  Chocolates, flashlights, multitools, or journals are always great standbys.  When I see these items over the year I buy them & put them in a drawer until needed.

Amber in SJ

Yesterday, one of my jobs had a party. Gifts in the gift exchage. There was a range:

Giant popcorn tin

Bag of chocolate turtles

Handmade vase

Dancing tree

Stuffed animal fishbowl

Starbucks card

Gingerbread house kit

VHS rewinder and Jane Fonda VHS exercise video

Margarita shaker

Bottle of wine

Really anything works and its all fun.

UPDATE:

The gift I brought was "stolen" several times, so I guess it was a good choice.

And I ended up with the most desired gift: a box containing six brand-new Oneida snack-sized dishes. There were also two recipe books and a nice candle in there. The gal who brought them was in a decluttering mode. 

The hostess had found a new version of white elephant gift exchange that was really fun. There was a rhyming thing she found that directed each person (by number) to choose a gift from the pile, and then do something else. Sometimes they had to exchange with a particular number, sometimes it was a double exchange, and sometimes they could choose to keep what they had opened. We ended up going around the circle twice. It was lots of fun.

And then we played a couple of group games that had nothing to do with Christmas but were very fun. I haven't laughed that hard in way too long. I am so happy I made the change to this new church!

Edited by MyThreeSons
  • Like 3

• 7 years later...