Menu

An oppotunity presents itself to me

ETA: Yikes I misspelled Opportunity in my title....and I can't change it.....my stupidity on display for the entire world to see.....Now I go back under my rock.

My dc went to a private Classical school last year. We loved it, but cannot afford it anymore so decided to hs this year. Now we all love hs'ing. I'm totally sold and committed to it. Even if we won the Lotto, we'd still hs (which is not what we said when we made the decision, BTW).

So, today I get an e-mail from the directoress of the school presenting me with some options. One option is that if I were willing to teach K Enrichment classes 2 days per week (I did this on a volunteer basis last year), then my two ds could "audit" English, history & science while I was teaching K for 2 hours. And my dd4 could join us in the K class. It was presented to me as taking some of the load off of me as a hs mom. My first reaction was a good one (they like me, they really like me!) and I also thought it would give my dc some much needed socialization (cuz ya know hs families are so antisocial...no, really, we don't belong to a group and the boys do miss their school friends). But, I absolutely love teaching English/grammar (my 1st degree was English Lit).

She gave me some other options right up to a full scholarshop for the dc if I was willing to put in more time...this is a no-go for me.

My dh is initially against it, but cannot give me any real "cons," just that we may be sorry we have a commitment we can't back out of (by "we" I mean "me" he won't be teaching at the private school). Also, the people are a bit over-the-top religious for his taste....They put a different spin on their Christianity than we put on ours, but I can take it with a grain of salt and live & let live mentality.

So, now I'm in a quandry.....Is this a great opportunity for my dc? Is there some downside I'm not looking at? What would you do? The school is 20 min drive away from our home (but we drive into town regularly...even though we say we won't).

This sounds like the worst of both worlds! LOL

One of the things I enjoy about educating at home is flexibility...if an opportunity for travel or a trip to a museum presents itself, we can go.

With this school (and I've often longed for a Christian classical school in our area) you'll have homework to deal with after your teaching day is through. That alone would drive me crazy.

However, I wouldn't burn all bridges here...this is something you may consider when dc are in middle/high school. At this age, though, I vote for keeping them home all day.

my 2 pennies,

Aggie

I would be concerned about DCs "auditing" the classes. Does this mean they aren't enrolled and that you will be required to re-teach what was addressed at school twice weekly? What about assignments?

Theoretically it sounds like a good deal, but I would be apprehensive about teaching where my children aren't necessarily enrolled. Like you, I have subjects I love teaching, and would salivate over an opportunity to have my kiddos happily hanging out with friends for an hour or so weekly at school simultaneously. What are the pitfalls? Will DH back you up even if he isn't thrilled with the idea?

I am thinking about the newfound freedom hs has given us. I wonder if committing to 2 days a week from 11:30am-2:10pm would interfere with that too much. The kids would also get lunch & lunch recess w/their friends. I know this is not much, but we do absolutely nothing with other kids right now, other than play with the neighbor kids after public school. On the other hand, from the tone of the e-mail, Cadam may be right. And then I wonder what will happen next year....I'm still so wishy-washy on the whole thing. I did just send a quick e-mail back to the directoress thanking her and asking for the weekend to think about it so she won't call and ask me.

I am thinking about the newfound freedom hs has given us. I wonder if committing to 2 days a week from 11:30am-2:10pm would interfere with that too much. The kids would also get lunch & lunch recess w/their friends. I know this is not much, but we do absolutely nothing with other kids right now, other than play with the neighbor kids after public school. On the other hand, from the tone of the e-mail, Cadam may be right. And then I wonder what will happen next year....I'm still so wishy-washy on the whole thing. I did just send a quick e-mail back to the directoress thanking her and asking for the weekend to think about it so she won't call and ask me.

If you aren't jumping at the opportunity with both feet immediately, I think you are being lead not to take this job.

I have to ask--are you from the UK? Most people don't add "ess" to director, manager, etc anymore. Just curious!

Now we all love hs'ing. I'm totally sold and committed to it. Even if we won the Lotto, we'd still hs . . .

I think this says it all. It truly sounds like they are trying to help you, but you don't need the help anymore.

Maybe someone else does? Perhaps they would make this offer to another family who could use the help?

The other thing that occurs to me is the time commitment. Do you have the extra time? Not only to teach your classes, but to "finish up" the ones your kids would be auditing?

In the circumstances you describe, I'd be touched, but I'd stay home. :)

I'd nix it. The other kids are going to be there 5 days a week--instead of being welcomed, your kids may feel like outsiders and be treated as such. They will lack the "context" of the classroom--the other kids will have experiences during the week that will, no doubt, be referenced during the day, and they won't have a clue. Also, I'm sure some things will be talked about that will happen on days they aren't there, so they will be left out.

However, I definitely would keep in touch--those middle school enrichment classes can be very helpful! But as young as yours are?--No way. Stay home and don't stress about other kids. There are plenty of ways to socialize. Perhaps you can be more intentional about getting together with others.

How nice that they do, indeed, like you! And your kids, too.

Well, I am so into hsing, you can't imagine, gave up a ton to do it, love it, and so does my daughter. I wanted you to know that, so you don't think there is a hidden agenda here, when I say--I think you guys may be speaking for yourselves when you are saying, immediately, no.

From what you have written, I think you really want to do it. It would be great for you to meet other hsing kids, and that is really important--if this would keep you from doing that, I would say absolutely do not do it, and that is my biggest fear in your taking the job. But, otherwise, it seems, from everything you have said, that you are in favor of it. Especially if it is just from 11:30-2:10 pm. It sounds like you are organized enough that this would not blow your whole day, you are sensible enough you would not get roped into taking on more during the year (and you can make it clear, from the beginning, that that is not possible), and this could be a wonderful opportunity for you and your kids, with not too much extra work for you. Sort of a good transition for all of you, while enjoying the best of both worlds.

Our first year homeschooling was our hardest, mostly because we had a really hard time finding a good group. The group we are in now was going through a transition, and the New Member Coordinator was leaving, and just never answered people, like me, who inquired about joining, so I couldn't meet them, and they were the only good secular group I found at the time. So I ended up joining another group that was truly horrible, and made both my dd and I really uncomfortable, and gave us a miserable year. (we have met other people who went through the same thing, then found our present group) Having the school for socialization while you look for a group that is a good "fit" could be a true comfort.

Either way, please do be happy with your decision, and make it final. Don't look back with wonder and regret--anything can look great from a distance, but up close, it can be totally different ;).

This is sort of off...

I'm wondering if the school is truly private? (as in they do not get any money from the state per pupil)

If they are not truly private, they would still be bound by state ed rules - right? (meaning they get $$$ each day for school, and $$$ each day per student for their lunch program) Knowing they were getting full or partial funding for your children to fill seats and be in school over the lunch hour, would that affect your decision? Are THEY maybe struggling a bit?

I have a friend that works in a school under a similar situation. She gets to dual enroll, but she must have her children in the school a certain number of hours per day, and preferrably over lunch so the school can "collect" on them.

Well, I am so into hsing, you can't imagine, gave up a ton to do it, love it, and so does my daughter. I wanted you to know that, so you don't think there is a hidden agenda here, when I say--I think you guys may be speaking for yourselves when you are saying, immediately, no.

From what you have written, I think you really want to do it. It would be great for you to meet other hsing kids, and that is really important--if this would keep you from doing that, I would say absolutely do not do it, and that is my biggest fear in your taking the job. But, otherwise, it seems, from everything you have said, that you are in favor of it. Especially if it is just from 11:30-2:10 pm. It sounds like you are organized enough that this would not blow your whole day, you are sensible enough you would not get roped into taking on more during the year (and you can make it clear, from the beginning, that that is not possible), and this could be a wonderful opportunity for you and your kids, with not too much extra work for you. Sort of a good transition for all of you, while enjoying the best of both worlds.

Our first year homeschooling was our hardest, mostly because we had a really hard time finding a good group. The group we are in now was going through a transition, and the New Member Coordinator was leaving, and just never answered people, like me, who inquired about joining, so I couldn't meet them, and they were the only good secular group I found at the time. So I ended up joining another group that was truly horrible, and made both my dd and I really uncomfortable, and gave us a miserable year. (we have met other people who went through the same thing, then found our present group) Having the school for socialization while you look for a group that is a good "fit" could be a true comfort.

Either way, please do be happy with your decision, and make it final. Don't look back with wonder and regret--anything can look great from a distance, but up close, it can be totally different ;).

MomtoAly, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I am truly happy hs'ing, but feel this could add to my dc's experience. I loved this school, gave a lot of volunteer time to it, got to know the kids & parents and was very sad to leave it. And my dc need friends...

Dh thinks I have an attachment disorder b/c I do not make friends easily and when I do start to make a friend, if something interrupts the friendship, I drop it without a backward glance. I'm afraid I will pass this trait onto my dc. I know I'm antisocial and that combined with a chronic medical condition that flares up every so often makes me perfectly happy to stay at home....I put some feelers out to the local hs group but have not found a way in...they seem so (trying to be nice) set in their ways and like a circle with no opening.

For me, the pros are:

1) friendships continued for dc

2) 2 days of history for dc (this school does a great job w/history, the English & science woudl mearly supplement what I was doing)

3) get us out of the house

The cons:

1) make us leave the house whether we wanted to or not

2) dc might feel like the odd ones out only there for a few hours per week

3) cuts down on our independence

4) dh thinks most people there are nuts

5) perhaps added pressure from the school

Also, what if dc started begging me to go all day? That is really not an option.

So, I'm just rambling here and remain torn. I appreciate everyone's advice you all are making me look at this issue from a variety of angles. I'll keep thinking...

This is sort of off...

I'm wondering if the school is truly private? (as in they do not get any money from the state per pupil)

If they are not truly private, they would still be bound by state ed rules - right? (meaning they get $$$ each day for school, and $$$ each day per student for their lunch program) Knowing they were getting full or partial funding for your children to fill seats and be in school over the lunch hour, would that affect your decision? Are THEY maybe struggling a bit?

I have a friend that works in a school under a similar situation. She gets to dual enroll, but she must have her children in the school a certain number of hours per day, and preferrably over lunch so the school can "collect" on them.

Oh, yes, they are a totally private Classical Christian school. They get no money from the state at all. I do know they probably do need me to teach. They're always hurting for money and they lost 3 good volunteers (my family now hs'ing, 2 families moved away...all 3 moms & dads did a lot for the school last year)