Menu

What are you asking for for Christmas?

Tina

We told our boys to get us a new wall calendar (w/nice travel pics) and perhaps a new "Made in US" can opener (saw one in Walmart).  We prefer useful things... They might come up with their own ideas too.

Hubby and I don't get each other gifts, but opt to get something we both like that's useful.  This year that was a new mattress and boxspring or I suppose we could count our new (to us) vehicle we just got Friday.

My mom will likely get us gas and restaurant gift cards.  She knows we like useful...  Then she'll regift me with books I gave her for her birthday (knowing I want to read them too) and perhaps a puzzle or two.

• Like 2

My MIL likes to get hubby and I gifts for Christmas and Birthdays. When she asks, we both request books.

Sometimes I even ask for curriculum oriented books.

But I like experiences too. Is there something you'd like to do on your own or with family?

What about a family portrait?

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

I bought myself some pajamas to replace the ones that got ripped beyond usability this year.

I will probably buy myself a pecan log from Cracker Barrel.

I would love a couple days completely off work, and a massage.  Not gonna happen any time soon, though.

• Like 4

I asked for Nature's organic lavender lotion, a warm winter coat (I have a short medium warm coat, but wanted something warmer...it gets cold here!) a massage, kindle gift certificate, starbucks gift card and pajamas.

I wanted to give lots of ideas so that I will be surprised on Christmas morning.

• Like 3

I sent dh a list of potentials, but these made my top 5 list: 
perfume  (I'm hoping this smells similar to J'Adore, like many reviews stated. I can handle $40 for perfume, but over $100 is too steep right now.) 
earrings
scarf 
necklace:

The Well Educated Mind (new edition) 

I also had some shoes and some adult coloring books with Prismacolor colored pencils. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 2

I am getting a new (to me) Used Dell Latitude E6410 laptop.  I won it in an eBay auction on the 5th.  It arrived from Miami, yesterday in the morning and is in Bogota, in Colombian Customs. Hopefully it will be delivered to our house Tuesday or Wednesday.  I won one of those for my wife on September 10th and this one will be mine.   :hurray:  My wife does not consider the new Samsung Washing Machine she bought 10 days ago to be a Christmas gift for her, although it will be her new "best friend",  or things for the kitchen to be gifts for her. She is looking for a Samsung cell phone, because hers stopped working, as a phone, when she installed "WhatsApp" on it.   Our house does not have a Chimney, but we have a huge inner patio and there is no problem for Santa to enter our house.  

• Like 4

DH and I just do stockings for each other.  Here are the things I listed as potential stocking-stuffer gifts:

We both have larger stockings...lol.  In fact, DH's mother brought him home from the hospital in his stocking.  He was born the 21st.  He will probably put a can of low-salt cashews in there for me too.

• Like 2

America's Test Kitchen vegetarian cookbook (I think dd just got this for me today)

a certain fair isle sweater from American Eagle (I think older dd bought it thme day after I saw it--she was with me then)

a wall of framed family photos

anything rose from Crabtree & Evelyn (always on my list)

holiday-themed tabletop frames (I have 2 areas where I like to seasonally switch out pictures)

chunky knit gloves/mittens/scarves to go with my red jacket and black coat

warm kneesocks in patterns or prints

cowboy boots (but I need to try them on first which is hard to do in midatlanic suburbia, especially since we have decided to no longer shop at Cabela's)

kitchen toys :D

• Like 2

We're just doing stockings for each other as our main gift is an evening in the city: symphony tickets, dinner, hotel, and some fun things the next day. We've gotten to the point where we enjoy this type of thing more, and we usually buy things we want on our own, making it hard to buy for each other.

• Like 4

We found out in November that we will be moving right after Christmas to a much colder climate, so I have lots of winter gear on my list.  But here are some of the items I had on my list prior to the moving plans included

- gift certificates to Starbucks and Chipotle for taking the kids out once in a while

- gift certificate for a manicure

- small kitchen tools (replace my rubber spatulas and wooden spoons, a flat whisk

- a new case for my iPhone (mine is chewed...)

- spices from Penzey's

- a bird feeder

- subscriptions to some cooking magazines 

• Like 1

-new cardigans (many are from when older dd was born so are starting to die)

-SWB's new books and the one she recommended in her recent podcast

-homeschooling reference books

-Harry Potter's Bookshelf: the Great Books beyond the Hogwarts Adventure

-dorky coffee cups

-National Geo subscription

Yes, I'm a nerd. ;)

• Like 3

I would like a pearl necklace, a little hand vac, and a gift card for Amazon. I'm guessing that, like most years, I'll get a wad of cash and a "have fun shopping." :P Dh is the world's worst shopper. He can't even drive through a parking lot without hyperventilating. We both enjoy the holidays much more if I don't force him out into the crowds and just buy my own gifts.

• Like 4

I have recently discovered Project Life style scrapbooking, so I have my eye on a few core kits.

I would like all of my digital pictures saved on my computer printed out. I have 10 plus years of pics.

After reading the wonderful reviews on this forum, I want a stainless steel Tramontina pots and pans set.

• Like 3

I need a new hair dryer, and I'd like a fitbit, but I'm not going to ask for anything. I've already asked dh if we can just forego most gifts and get a new couch, but we have a 7mo kitten who is still figuring out the "no scratching furniture" rule, so that's probably out.

It's ok. I bought myself a Vitamix.

• Like 3

Dh and I exchange gifts but we don't ask for anything. We try to find things that we think the other person will like, and we're *usually* successful. We've each had our share of duds, but it's kind of fun to try to watch and listen through the year to what would delight each other. 

But it was a lot easier when we had young kids because we were too exhausted to do all this and just made wish lists. g

• Like 3

Nothing. Which coincidentally is what I'll receive! Ho Ho Ho.

That's what I usually get, tho dd is getting into giving gifts to all.  Dh and I never exchange gifts, and oldest ds (now married) has asked what I want.  Generally, I can count on getting one gift or so at my family's exchange, where the adults draw names.  Plus a white elephant gift--someone's cast-off. :)

• Like 2

Underwear.

About a decade ago I bought a very large sum of underwear. I forget how mush I spent. But it was a good price, and they fit me nicely and were good quality. So for the last decade I never got new underwear and always were the same type.

But they have all women out at the same time. It was almost as if during the last six months all my underwear went for fine to , very, very far from fine.

• Like 3

May I ask what book she recommended?

Regards,

Kareni

Of course! New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. I believe she was asked about a book that helped give her direction and meaning in her homeschool and this book was suggested. It seems to be a very good book about finding purpose and meaning in life. 

• Like 4

Of course! New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. I believe she was asked about a book that helped give her direction and meaning in her homeschool and this book was suggested. It seems to be a very good book about finding purpose and meaning in life. 

Thank you!  That does sound intriguing.  I hope you get the items on your list including this.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I'll be finished homeschooling in May and this is the first Christmas I haven't ask for something homeschool related.  I'm kinda sad about this....

My list:

Belgium chocolate

Moet and Chandon Imperial 

Coffee mug that keeps my coffee hot

Dinner out and a movie 

• Like 2

Hiking boots.  I have trail runners for dry hikes, but they're ventilated so I need a pair for wet hikes.  I could use the ankle cover for dry hikes in rattlesnake territory. I'll pick the pair out myself and buy them.  They'll be from my husband.  He'll pick out his electronic thing he wants and it'll be from me.  That's the most practical way to do it and we're very practical people.

Mini spring form pans.  I have a delicious Moroccan Chicken Pie recipe that has to be made in a spring form pan because of the 10 layers of filo dough. The others I have are very large, so we only eat it when company comes over.  Now we can eat it anytime, even if it's just 3 of us because of the smaller size pans.

A new rotary cutting blade with the easy replacement blade design.  A jellyroll of polka dot strips of fabric. I quilt.

The next book in the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell and chocolate truffles.  I'm 6 books in a hooked.  I have adopted the Icelandic tradition of Christmas Book Flood starting this year.  You exchange books and on Christmas Eve you go to bed reading a new book while eating chocolates.  These are my people!  ( I have Norwegian ancestry on my dad's side like many of those who colonized Iceland, so we're calling it an ethnic tradition.)

• Like 4

I bought myself an Instant Pot and copy of The Well-Educated Mind, and I've dropped hints about Sims 4 expansions, Lego minifigs, and a year's subscription to Allrecipes' Cooking School. Oh, and tickets to performances at the new theater near us. Dh and I agreed to not exchange gifts this year but to plan a night out.

• Like 1

Thank you!  That does sound intriguing.  I hope you get the items on your list including this.

Regards,

Kareni

I love Thomas Merton and have read quite a few of his books. Well worth it.

• Like 1