Menu

What's with the ads?

stupidusername

Advice for homeschoolers using Saxon math: Walk it back!

This is our third year using Saxon (currently in Saxon Algebra 1, 3rd edition). Every so often, DS12's performance starts to deteriorate. His scores on tests and homeworks drop from 90s to 80s or less. Time spent on math increases dramatically, sometimes to as much as three hours for one lesson.

This is especially common in the latter third of the book. 

When this happens, my advice is to WALK IT BACK. If you re-do the last 5 or 10 lessons, you will probably see a huge improvement in your child's speed, accuracy, confidence, and attitude.

• Like 4

I did this with 87.  Best move I ever made, math wise, except switching BACK TO Saxon because it really worked for DD after using the state guidelines and text for two years.

I think is great advice, but not just for Saxon math. I did it with CLE and with our reading/spelling programs too and it made a huge difference. Just struggling forward may work in some circumstances but "walking it back" a bit has actually netted us more positive results on many occassions.

• Like 1

I also did this with AOPS. My older kids had to repeat chapter 1 when they couldn't do the chapter 2 review problems. It really helped them to understand the process of using the book.

We sometimes just take a break for a day or two when I am noticing that.  The break usually gives dd enough time to clear her head and focus.