Menu

WTM Notebook setup

Tera

Has anyone ever followed the Logic stage English section of the WTM and if so, did you follow exactly as stated?

THANKS

Yes, we pretty much are, for 5th grade. And I wish I'd answered your post early today when I saw it, because I know there were other questions...I'm sorry about that! Is there anything else we can help with?

HI Colleen

Yes I wanted to know how did you set up your notebook and what did you put in each section. I was re reading it and she does mention it within the text but in writing she mentions putting it in the history notebook. I was getting confused or am I getting too perfectionist about it. THANKS for your help.

HI Colleen

Yes I wanted to know how did you set up your notebook and what did you put in each section. I was re reading it and she does mention it within the text but in writing she mentions putting it in the history notebook. I was getting confused or am I getting too perfectionist about it. THANKS for your help.

Spelling - just tests in here - we use a spelling composition notebook - and actually, he's pretty well done with spelling

Word Study - for the Vocab. from Classical Roots charts and exercises

Grammar - for grammar exercises (diagraming only, we do the other stuff orally from R&S)

Reading - narrations of historical *novels* (as opposed to Great Books or versions of them written during the history period) or other imaginative lit. (and I'm still not really sure what this would be)

Memory Work - copies of poems/passages memorized

Writing - writing exercises from R&S writing lessons

Dictation - dictations

I was a little confused, too, about the reading part, but I think I get it now. Narrations of Great Books or versions of them go in the history notebook, because they were written during the time period - I guess they're like accounts of the time, written during the time. A historical novel, OTOH, was written later, sometimes hundreds or thousands of years later. It's more like a fun read, so it goes in the reading section of the English notebook. I think the idea is that by high school, Great Books and history study become one, so the history notebook is the beginning of merging the two, so the student starts making connections between GB and historical events. That's my take on it, anyway.

I just noticed ds does not have any narrations in his reading section yet - I guess because he's just been narrating versions of GB so far this year!

hth from a fellow perfectionist who likes to know exactly what's going on so she can make her own connections in her mind. LOL!