Menu

So my CC # was stolen.... you might want to check if you shopped at:

Um_2_4

Kagi (Mammoth Math ebooks place)

Educents 

Zulily

Only 3 places besides Amazon that I have shopped in the past 2 months.

Anyone shopped there and had their number taken???

And to top it off, they tried to charge $1000 to a charity..............???? :huh:

Well Chase caught it really fast. I got the email at 4:30am my time and they declined the charge.

B of A was great too. There were several attempted charges (different places, anywhere from $1 to about $600? It'd have added up). Anyway, they caught it quick...only $1 was charged and the rest declined. I don't know how this works, if charges at stores, restaurants etc were declined...did the robber get away with it? I just hope that the merchant doesn't have to take the loss :( Edited by mamiof5

This is extremely common.  My main card was compromised last week.  DH's main card was compromised a few months ago.  Between the two of us it happens several times a year and has become a rather ho-hum thing.  I talked about CC theft with a customer service lady at our credit union.  This was back when Home Depot had that huge breach.  She said people believe their card info is stolen when something like that makes the news, but she said they get reports of many, many breaches every single day.  Reams of them.  She also said that a person's card info is sometimes stolen many months before there's an unauthorized use or attempted use.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

*knock on wood* We haven't had a card stolen since a physical card was stolen out of our mailbox 14+ years ago. Dealing with it back then was a mess. The bank issued us new cards but then rolled the old card into the new one so the old one could still be used. :confused1: :glare:  We spent hours on the phone with the fraud department, it amazed me how incompetent they were. They never disbelieved us that those weren't our charges, but we couldn't get them to actually do anything about the situation. Eventually we told them to close the entire account, we were no longer interested in doing business with them. They agreed to do so, then issued us new cards instead! :huh: This was a major bank here in the US! After several calls I think we eventually got them to close the account and we never paid for any of the fraudulent charges. I hope they've gotten better at handing fraud in the intervening years because that still boggles my mind.

That stinks.  They are good about dealing with fraudulent charges though.  So it might take a bit of aggravation, but you'll get your money back. 

Our company is a little too awesome with monitoring fraud.  One day I spend maybe $1000 (CC, campus bookstore, out to eat, grocery store, etc.).  They called that day because they wanted to verify a charge I had made.  It was a charge for $2 that I spent on Steam.  Really of all the money I spent that day they wanted to know about $2! 

I was happy with how they dealt with it. New cards are on the way.

I had one card years ago that stopped a legit charge when I was planning my wedding ($XXX on wedding clothes and some centerpiece items). That was pre internet/cell phones so I had to call them to straighten it out so I could finish shopping that day.

This is a 1st for me. And this is my card I use only online. I don't use this one in store.

I looked back and I have shopped on zulilly and educents in the past year with this card, so the only new one is Kagi.  Or one of them could have had a breach.

• Like 2

I was happy with how they dealt with it. New cards are on the way.

I had one card years ago that stopped a legit charge when I was planning my wedding ($XXX on wedding clothes and some centerpiece items). That was pre internet/cell phones so I had to call them to straighten it out so I could finish shopping that day.

This is a 1st for me. And this is my card I use only online. I don't use this one in store.

I looked back and I have shopped on zulilly and educents in the past year with this card, so the only new one is Kagi.  Or one of them could have had a breach.

One year I bought something from an on-line company that turned out to not be a real company.  Just a scam.  Unbelievable!  I had to write a letter to the CC company, but they gave me the money back in 2 days.  It was especially scary because it was my card attached to my bank account.  It turned out fine though.

My credit card was compromised last week, but I didn't shop at any of those places. My bank caught it quickly because the charge came from somewhere far away from my home state. The charges were small, so I think they were just testing to see if they could get away with it. It's kind of funny because we're in debt right now and near the credit limit on that card, so they wouldn't have been able to use it much anyway.

I've only had my debit card compromised one time this year, so that's a nice change 😒. My small, local credit union is really awesome about dealing with it. I just hate the the inconvenience of trying to remember all of my auto pay accounts that are linked to the card. It's embarrassing to get the phone calls that my card was declined, lol. Last year I was issued 3 new cards. I know its not my fault, but I can't help feeling like a flake when I'm updating my info YET AGAIN. Also, I used to have my acct number memorized, so it was hella convenient when shopping online. Now, I don't even bother, since I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a card, lol.

• Like 1

Amazon sent an email asking me to change my password yet again. They said that my account had potentially been compromised. My dh and my father received the same email.

Please be very careful with those emails! I got one from PayPal the other day, after looking at it more in depth the English used was kind of funky and it ended not being from them. It is very scary, lots of scammers now a days trying to get access to your accounts, and they are getting good. Before doing anything I'd try my best to make sure it was from Amazon. Maybe log in your account and see if there's a copy of such message?

Please be very cautious everyone! After having my cc number stolen and someone attempted to use it several times this weekend, I have received 2 suspicious emails with some attachment because "my account has been compromised and there's suspicious activity". It is hard to tell if they are from the same people who stole my number, but kind of freaky that they know the exact date when fraudulent activity was noticed (they wrote the exact date on the body of the email). Please be very careful!

This is extremely common. My main card was compromised last week. DH's main card was compromised a few months ago. Between the two of us it happens several times a year and has become a rather ho-hum thing. I talked about CC theft with a customer service lady at our credit union. This was back when Home Depot had that huge breach. She said people believe their card info is stolen when something like that makes the news, but she said they get reports of many, many breaches every single day. Reams of them. She also said that a person's card info is sometimes stolen many months before there's an unauthorized use or attempted use.

Same here. I don't really care to jinx myself, but it seems to me that every Christmas shopping season for the last few years, I have had a security breech or actual fraudulent charges. Typically, there are uninteresting first few charges at amounts like $29.99. Then a bigger one of a couple hundred dollars, if it doesn't get spotted right away. But most commonly, I have had the fraud dept. shut it down before anything even happens.

Tangential funny: one year, I was back-to-school shopping and, right in the middle of trying to buy a Texas Instrument calculator, my CC company suspended my card. They couldn't believe it was really me running up these charges all over town! "We have detected unusual spending activity on your account." HeeHee.

• Like 2

My card was compromised one year. DH was deployed, but they used his card. (He only used his card 3 times while deployed. It was pretty easy to figure out where the info had been stolen.) I spotted the charge and cancelled the card right away, and also notified the company the fraudulent charge had been made to. A few weeks later, UPS called for my husband. Apparently the items were being sent to a college student who called UPS to find out why he hadn't received the items. I don't know if the student stole the information or (more likely) a relative stole it to purchase items for said student.

Two suggestions to be safer in the future: (1) If places accept, PayPal, pay with PayPal. That way, the Seller does not have your personal information  and (2) If your Credit Card or Debit Card has a Magnetic Stripe, and not a Chip (my Debit Card from my bank in the U.S. has a Magnetic Stripe) before you use an ATM machine, look carefully, where you insert the card into the machine, to be sure nothing is protruding. Those are called "Skimmers" and I read a couple of weeks ago that they are incredibility common in the USA now.  I try to remember to inspect for "Skimmers", before I use an ATM machine.  Frank, the former Master Criminal who now works for the F.B.I., put out a message about "Skimmers" earlier this year as I recall. 

Our card was compromised on the 10th and cancelled, but we didn't know until today when I tried to use the card. Because the security services company (not the credit union or Visa) didn't have updated phone information, they couldn't contact us. The credit union had our correct email address and a correct phone number (all has been updated now to include more phone numbers), but according to the rep I spoke with apparently hadn't allowed the security services company access to that info. I will call the credit union on Monday and update everything, including asking them to share our phone numbers with the ssc. So, in addition to monitoring your account, ensure all your contact information is updated. I'm a little annoyed we weren't contacted due to an apparently 3rd party security services miscommunication.

This was a chipped card. DH and I wondered how the thieves were able to use it at a specific store unless they made another card. If they'd used it online, the bank wouldn't have known the location of the attempt. It would've shown up as a purchase from Walmart.com, not a purchase from a Walmart in ______ city.