Menu

The first semester is over!

Mom22ns

Ds took his last final today. He slept all afternoon. He's planning to pack and come home tomorrow.  I don't know when grades will be out, but for now I'm just glad to get him back for awhile.

Anyone else?

ETA: Dd finished her CC finals yesterday too. She has a couple of homeschool classes to finish, but all the stress is gone for both my kids. Ds will be home later today. Dd and I went out and did a little Christmas shopping. 

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 7

Finals start tomorrow for our dd and go through next Wed.  She has one on Friday and two on Monday.  The rest of her classes had a presentation as a final or something else that was completed during the last week of scheduled classes.  She is doing fine, but she is so excited to come home!!  I can't believe her first semester is almost over!

• Like 4

Youngest flies home today having finished his last final yesterday.  He feels he did well on them (meaning likely Bs if all went well).

Middle won't be home until the 21st even though his finals end the 17th.  Being an RA, he has to stay until the bitter end.  He plans to get some more shadowing in and studying for the MCAT during his free time there, so he'll stay busy.  I wish he could be home sooner though.

• Like 4

Ds finishes tomorrow, Friday, at 5 pm. We live close by, so I am going to collect the stuff he's bringing home for break before his last exam because immediately after the test, he and dh have to catch a plane to go to a funeral. They will be cutting it tight by leaving at 5. I'm hoping traffic won't be too bad but I have a feeling it will. O'Hare is probably going to be busy, too. Ugh.

After the funeral, they're going down to Florida to spend some time together. I will be all alone for almost a week. I have not been alone for a full week in about 25 years. It's going to be strange!

• Like 1

Two finished. Both should have 4.0s.Still need a grade from one class for each to be turned in, but they are pretty confident. One of those dc is home, the other is working the next two days. One final left for the last dd. That is the one who had two regular tests to take during finals week (I thought that was against the rules!!!) in that subject that they had to figure out on their own after being told not to use their books because they had too much misinformation in them...She took a test Friday and Tuesday, and now the final in about an hour. Not sure what that grade is going to be....

Edited by Lolly
  • Like 4

We're back with youngest.  Naturally, his plane was the only one I saw delayed (by an hour) yesterday, so we didn't get home from the airport until five minutes after midnight. It probably took another half hour - hour before we got to bed.  My body has to prove it can't sleep in regardless of when it goes to bed.   :glare:  At least the cats are happy about that.

Our trip home was wonderful though.  We stopped at a fast food joint for a late supper together and the hour & a half drive home was over in about 10 minutes (seemed that way) with the conversations we had.  Except for having his brothers home, it's very reminiscent of the good old days with family conversations on road trips!

Even better, he has a grade in already - an A in Arabic!   :hurray:  

We have three weeks until he flies back for his Greece trip in Jan.  I'm officially jealous of that trip already.  He told us the itinerary...Athens, Corinth & more... tons of lessons from Greek scholars (all related to a study of longevity in the country - diet, lifestyle, etc).

FWIW, the airport was FULL - oodles of college students heading home.  Evidently there are plenty who live a flight away from their school.  We saw 'Bama, Palm Beach Atlantic, West Point, and plenty (like mine) unidentified, but pretty obvious.

• Like 7

Its a little early for West Point. Their semester ends next week. The Army-Navy game is Saturday though.

I just looked up that game - it's in Philly, so wouldn't make sense to have seen some in Baltimore.  I wonder if there's another sporting (or other) event?  I doubt that many are cutting the whole last week.  

• Like 1

My ds lives at home and was taking only two courses for his first college semester. He had finals this week. He finished his last one yesterday and asked for Dairy Queen ice cream on the way home to celebrate. His grade for his Tuesday exam was put in on Wednesday. Maybe yesterday's exam will be in today or by Monday.

• Like 4

I'm pretty proud of myself at the moment.  

Today at his birthday lunch youngest proudly announced to us, a friend (female), and her mom that the highest grade he could get in one of his classes was a C and he was expecting a D.  Why?  Because doing homework was 20% of the grade... and he decided the amount of work simply was not worth his time, so he did none of it.  :mad:   He has gotten As on the tests for the most part, so could have had a decent grade had he put some effort in.   :cursing:   The class?  His Logic class!   :banghead:

Why am I proud of myself?  Simple... I haven't killed him...  I merely told him later that this is not something most people are impressed hearing about.  It kinda has the opposite effect actually.  He then told me I obviously didn't understand his reasoning... and I still didn't kill him regardless of how tempting it was.

Lest anyone think all my kids are perfect academic angels... I'm venting sharing.  I think I might try the rest of that wine tonight...  (though I can't as it's his birthday - sigh).

• Like 14

Today at his birthday lunch youngest proudly announced to us, a friend (female), and her mom that the highest grade he could get in one of his classes was a C and he was expecting a D.  Why?  Because doing homework was 20% of the grade... and he decided the amount of work simply was not worth his time, so he did none of it.  :mad:   He has gotten As on the tests for the most part, so could have had a decent grade had he put some effort in.   :cursing:   The class?  His Logic class!   :banghead:

Why am I proud of myself?  Simple... I haven't killed him...  I merely told him later that this is not something most people are impressed hearing about.  It kinda has the opposite effect actually.  He then told me I obviously didn't understand his reasoning... and I still didn't kill him regardless of how tempting it was.

Lest anyone think all my kids are perfect academic angels... I'm venting sharing.  I think I might try the rest of that wine tonight...  (though I can't as it's his birthday - sigh).

LOL. I've never done it, but I've wanted to post a sign on my course site that says, "You won't pass the class if you don't do the homework -- PERIOD." Because it's true. Homework is a big part of their grade, but I always get a few who stop doing it and/or are so spotty that they'll never make it. 

• Like 2

LOL. I've never done it, but I've wanted to post a sign on my course site that says, "You won't pass the class if you don't do the homework -- PERIOD." Because it's true. Homework is a big part of their grade, but I always get a few who stop doing it and/or are so spotty that they'll never make it. 

My son actually DOES have that situation for his English class. Apparently students have blown it off in the past (it's worth less than 20% of the grade, but it's a rewrite--a paper in the same style as their lowest scoring paper over the semester, on a new topic). Anyway, right in the syllabus, she said if they don't do the paper, they fail the class! The only kids who get out of having to do it are those who get A's on every other paper they handed in. Kinda funny--she's giving kids a chance to raise their grade & they don't want to!

That took immense self-discipline on your part! Is he paying for the class? I'd be very near to saying he can pay for any class where he chooses that logic :-). And then I'd probably ask Dad or some other man in his life to tell him how prospective employers view such "logic." 

• Like 2

My son actually DOES have that situation for his English class. Apparently students have blown it off in the past (it's worth less than 20% of the grade, but it's a rewrite--a paper in the same style as their lowest scoring paper over the semester, on a new topic). Anyway, right in the syllabus, she said if they don't do the paper, they fail the class! The only kids who get out of having to do it are those who get A's on every other paper they handed in. Kinda funny--she's giving kids a chance to raise their grade & they don't want to!

The online class I'm teaching has a policy of failing any student who doesn't complete each phase of their course-long project (a website with multimedia) with a passing grade. And yet three took the final today who have a zero on at least one phase. Hopeful sorts, I guess?

The online class I'm teaching has a policy of failing any student who doesn't complete each phase of their course-long project (a website with multimedia) with a passing grade. And yet three took the final today who have a zero on at least one phase. Hopeful sorts, I guess?

I would have made my son stay until the bitter in if he did something like that, so I can kinda understand it. 

:hurray:

I'm so proud of you! You showed amazing self control!

• Like 1

That took immense self-discipline on your part! Is he paying for the class? I'd be very near to saying he can pay for any class where he chooses that logic :-). And then I'd probably ask Dad or some other man in his life to tell him how prospective employers view such "logic." 

Right now he is 100% convinced that he doesn't need to do anything more than pass his Gen Ed classes.  He puts effort into his major & minor classes, then enjoys his work and other activities.  He tells us he doesn't see Gen Ed parts of school as "life" or something to that effect.  We told him that he might feel differently if he were paying $$$ for school.  He agreed, but still wasn't phased.  He is paying for some of his education and has basic student loans. (Hubby was with me - and this was later when his friend wasn't around.)

It's still pretty aggravating to be honest.  It makes me wonder how he's going to be on the job since EVERY job has some aspect or another that folks don't care for.

:hurray:

I'm so proud of you! You showed amazing self control!

Thanks... it was really tough.  Hubby's brain was steaming as much as mine was - probably more actually.  I still don't know if we handled it correctly or if there was some sort of better way. (sigh)  But the young man is still alive, so I suspect that's a pro.

• Like 1

I wish the semester was over.

DS is sick and exams start Monday. He's been sick at the end of the semester more than once. He pushes and pushes until he hits "the wall" and then he is so rundown he picks up an opportunistic virus.

Ugh.

Oh, man :grouphug: I hope that virus disappears soon!

• Like 1

Simple... I haven't killed him...

Lest anyone think all my kids are perfect academic angels...

:party: You're my hero. Thanks for both the inspirational posts on your middle son (and your oldest) and your true-to-life posts on your youngest. It gives me so much hope that someday my kids will excel ... or that I'll be able to keep from poking my eyes out when they are proud about a stupid stunt like this.

Someday, when your youngest grows up some more, you'll shake your heads together & laugh at what a dweeb he's being. Until then, great job keeping your cool!  :patriot:

• Like 8

Last week of the semester here.  Dd finished her self proclaimed "hell week" by earning an A+ on oral presentations in two different classes.  (This is my kid who hates ordering food in restaurants.) She still has four finals this coming week, including one that the teacher just sent out a 165 question practice test/study guide, but she's comfortable with all of it.

Ds is DE at CC, classes are done, and he just has to take two finals.  He also expects to get his first college acceptance this week. We're confident, but it's still a bit nervewracking to wait it out.

• Like 5

DS20 spent days writing his final paper only to recheck the syllabus at the end and find out that the paper wouldn't be accepted without a three minute video overview. Two hours before the paper was due, he grabbed my iPad and improvised a video, complete with toy car crashes and sound effects. He got an A on both the paper and the video!

He is done for the semester and is planning to sleep for a week.

• Like 9

During exam week, ds charged his friends $10 each to wash their sheets if they didn't have time. One gave him a frozen filet mignon instead. LOL.

His last exam was the last time slot on the last day. Of course it would be. Dh and I waited as close to his exam as we could and then as soon as he got in, it was off to O'Hare, which is only 15 miles away but took us 1.5 hours! Traffic, construction zones. Gah! Luckily, they made their flight. Barely.

Ds fell asleep in the car because he stayed up watching Disney's Hercules with friends. (Translation: he went out partying with friends.) Yeah, that was a good choice before a final exam. (not) He'll know his grades this week.

Today ds and dh are touring NYC. Tomorrow they go to sunny Florida.

Today at his birthday lunch youngest proudly announced to us, a friend (female), and her mom that the highest grade he could get in one of his classes was a C and he was expecting a D.  Why?  Because doing homework was 20% of the grade... and he decided the amount of work simply was not worth his time, so he did none of it.   :mad:   He has gotten As on the tests for the most part, so could have had a decent grade had he put some effort in.    :cursing:   The class?  His Logic class!    :banghead:

Lest anyone think all my kids are perfect academic angels... I'm venting sharing.  I think I might try the rest of that wine tonight...  (though I can't as it's his birthday - sigh).

LOL. This is every other friend of my son's and sometimes my son. Ds had a full reading week to prepare for final exams. Well, the night before one of his math exams, he discovered -- at 9 pm -- that his class had met three times during reading week and that material would be on the exam. He had to learn it all that night. All of my kids have made me feel like this at times.  :willy_nilly: It's great when they grow up and go out on their own because then I'm not so privvy to everything. Ignorance is bliss. I am very much enjoying my ignorance.  :D 

I wish the semester was over.

DS is sick and exams start Monday. He's been sick at the end of the semester more than once. He pushes and pushes until he hits "the wall" and then he is so rundown he picks up an opportunistic virus.

Ugh.

Ugh is right. Poor kid. I hope he feels well enough for his exams.

• Like 6

Dd just broke up with her boyfriend. We're delighted that she broke up with him, but the end of semester is a rotten time for a relationship to go south.

At least she broke up with him BEFORE he spent a bunch of time staying over our house during the break!

Trauma. Drama. Emotions running high. I'm considering finding a deserted island somewhere and moving to it......

• Like 5

Dd just broke up with her boyfriend. We're delighted that she broke up with him, but the end of semester is a rotten time for a relationship to go south.

At least she broke up with him BEFORE he spent a bunch of time staying over our house during the break!

Trauma. Drama. Emotions running high. I'm considering finding a deserted island somewhere and moving to it......

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

I wish finals were over.  Oldest has been sick for a week, but still has one more final and some online math assignments and quizzes to finish.  I'm praying it all gets done and done well, but I'm not feeling hopeful.  Dc doesn't seem to be thinking very well.  :sad:

• Like 1

My guy has his grades in now too... He has his A in Arabic, B+s in two other classes, then a C- in his "I can't be bothered to do the work" class.   :glare:   He'd have a pretty darn good GPA if only... 

Still... I love him and he's been very helpful here on break helping out around the farm and house.  Fortunately, doing his best in college has never been a condition for loving him.  His reasoning for that just is outside my realm of "getting it."  I don't think he's ruined for life, but I mentioned he might not want to put that reasoning down anywhere on a job application or his resume - and - another time he might rethink whether it has to be an all or nothing deal.  Did he truly not have time to do any of it???

But life moves on.  He's looking forward to his trip to Greece...

Middle son takes his last final today, but won't be home until the 21st due to his RA job.

• Like 8

DD is home today.  Her last final was yesterday morning but she drove a friend to the airport, did her laundry and decided to relax before driving home this morning.  First doctor visit done and three new prescriptions to pick up.  Hopefully these work and she won't need a tonsiltectomy.  Doctor did tell her how painful the surgery is and how recovery period is three weeks with first week away from school or work.  

DD is sleeping in the guest room until she cleans her own room up better.  She needs to do that soon because her uncle is coming next Wednesday and we need that guest room for him.

• Like 1

Ds has an online final tomorrow and then he's done, he did two on campus this week, the other didn't have a final. He came home and slept Tuesday, that one had him nervous. 

I did one final yesterday and have two tomorrow. One is just a short section and we turn in a take home essay. Then we're watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail and having pizza as it's everyone's last final. It was my medieval history class, we had such a blast in that class. 

• Like 6

After five years, my dd is now officially done with her university in Latin America!  (as of last week!)  She and her husband (and dog) moved up here today.  Yay!  She does have to fly back down in February to give a public presentation of her dissertation.  Then she'll be officially graduated.  So wonderful to have them in our part of the world.

Youngest dd finished her last exam today.  Swung by and picked her up on the way to the airport to get oldest dd and her dh.  It was such a fun reunion!  My youngest dd had a good semester.  I'm so glad.  She transferred to a new school this year, and it started out slowly but by the end, she felt very good about her decision.  She and her 3 roommates are a perfect fit.  How lucky is that!  One from the West coast, one from Africa, one from the Midwest, and my dd.  They stick together like one little family. 

• Like 9

I did one final yesterday and have two tomorrow. One is just a short section and we turn in a take home essay. Then we're watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail and having pizza as it's everyone's last final. It was my medieval history class, we had such a blast in that class. 

Best wishes for today!  And enjoy your party...  :party:

Yesterday he just had to deliver his English portfolio, and that was it. I helped him a little with his cover letter. It was fun seeing it all together. He had a really good professor, and we got him set up with her again even though it's a Friday morning class (not his favorite time).

My 11th grader took her local final (90 minutes) and did very well too, and then she did her brown belt test in Aikido and passed.

So we celebrated by watching "World War Z" per their request. 

My college grades went in Tuesday, but I have a lot of grading with my other classes to finish over the holidays because their term ends in mid-January. We had a lot going on medically in November and December, and I got behind. Sigh...

Edited by G5052
  • Like 5

My daughter came home Monday after her last final. She'll be working over break--starts today, so she did have a few days to relax. Grades are in, all A's. Her roommate surprised her with a Christmas gift-a scarf she knit for dd. Dd had gotten her roommate a gift, too. They seem to have become friends, which is really nice. It was a good first semester. Spring semester starts January 11th. She'll have a new major, classics and either a double major or minor in biology with premed. She's receiving an additional merit award from the classics department, so we're thrilled about that. Who knew starting Latin as homeschoolers during elementary school would lead to a college major? Wishing all of you a lovely holiday season! 

• Like 6

The joys of attending an art school -- dd's semester ended right after Thanksgiving so that the ballet students could focus on the 21 performances of the Nutcracker!

As a music student, dd has short mini-classes and is expected to practice a LOT. She also got really sick after breaking up with her BF,so she spent most of her time not practicing but checking out the health center.

She is better now and will come home on Sunday after she plays in a Lessons & Carols service.

At least she managed to get out of playing the Christmas Eve service in a city four hours from home. (Why did she ever agree to do that?) Instead, she will be playing two services ten minutes from home. YAY!

So she comes home on Sunday and all the others descend on Tuesday. We will have people from five states staying for a full week! (I'm still trying to figure out the sleeping arrangements. My last configuration had dh and I sleeping under the tree!)

Let the party begin!

• Like 6

Brief update here. My oldest is a senior in college, finished his 2 finals already, now working on a problem set and a project for his other 2 classes.  Will be home Sunday night; *hopefully* it will all be done and submitted by then.

My middle was granted a second semester deferral from starting his freshman year, so will be able to start in the fall.  He is newly diagnosed with high-functioning autism, so we have our work cut out for us for the next 9 months! He is going to need to grow and change significantly before he will be ready for college.  His diagnosis really opened my eyes about my oldest-I suspect he also has HFA, which helps a lot to explain why he has always seemed to struggle so much academically, despite being very bright.  By way of examples, if he DOES finish and submit the project and problem set and hand them in before he arrives home, it will be the first time, in 3 1\2 years of college, that he will have finished all of his work before coming home.  Sigh.  

Very much looking forward to having oldest home.  Not sure how much longer he will still be home for all the holidays!  He's talked a lot about moving to a sunnier place after he graduates.  

• Like 4

Woke up to see an e-mail in from middle son:

So everything is done! I have 2 A's so far... no news from the rest, yet.

But to relieve the finals stress I decided to make our Christmas cookies :D They are tasty! I may have made 36... oh well.

And here I was thinking of making some of "our" Christmas cookies to have for him when he arrives (vs making them after he gets here).  Shall I assume he shared the 36 or ate the majority himself?   :lol:

Edited by creekland
  • Like 5

My dd and I both finished up finals today.  We are of the same opinion:  sleep sounds lovely.

You, me and them all - Hooray! One down.

;)

DS already has final grades.  I have mine.  DD is still waiting on three final grades.  Bring on Christmas and snow.

• Like 2

He is going to need to grow and change significantly before he will be ready for college.    

:grouphug:  Keep in mind that there are LOTS of different pathways to a college education.  It doesn't have to be a full-time away-from-home experience. A class or two taken at a time at a school close to home while growing/maturing and working a part-time job can lead to the same result.

IMHO, the ages from 18 to 21 or so is a time for HUGE strides in growth, maturity and independence. DD19 is like a different person than from even a year ago.  O

• Like 2

It's finally over for us!  DS had his last final late Friday.  It was the written portion of the Japanese exam and he said it was stressful. His Japanese interview was on Thursday and he thought that was a bit better.  As we talked about the class, he said that about half the students decided to drop second semester Japanese and that he will be the lone male remaining in the Year 1 program.  This means he will also be the only male in the Year 1 Spring Study Abroad to Japan.

I did the quick round trip to pick him up (36 hours on the road) and we arrived home late last night.  We hit a late night ice storm in the mountains and had to maneuver between a jackknifed semi and a stuck pickup truck. I think we cleared each vehicle with about an inch on each side. Less than 100 yards away there was no ice and the highway was clear.  Gotta love the Smokies!

DS doesn't know what his grades will be.  He said two of his instructors haven't updated grades since midterms. Two of his Winter Term classes will be continuations of Fall Term, Japanese and Independent Research.  His IR project seems really interesting and I am excited for him.

• Like 5