Menu

Dr Hive...onset of leg pain/limp in ds

momto3innc

My 11 year old ds woke up yesterday limping. He says his left leg mainly hurts up top near the hip area although he's had some pain in his knee as well. It hurts most when he is walking, particularly when he has just stood up. It's not terrible pain and doesn't bother him sitting down but he has a very noticeable limp. He said the pain is kind of "moving around". He felt fine when he went to bed Monday and we can't think of anything he did that day that could have caused it. I will say on Sunday he slipped and fell but jumped right up and said he was fine/didn't hurt. No swelling or bruising of any kind

We are heading to the doctor tomorrow but curious if anyone else's dc had something similar happen.

My 11 year old ds woke up yesterday limping. He says his left leg mainly hurts up top near the hip area although he's had some pain in his knee as well. It hurts most when he is walking, particularly when he has just stood up. It's not terrible pain and doesn't bother him sitting down but he has a very noticeable limp. He said the pain is kind of "moving around". He felt fine when he went to bed Monday and we can't think of anything he did that day that could have caused it. I will say on Sunday he slipped and fell but jumped right up and said he was fine/didn't hurt. No swelling or bruising of any kind

We are heading to the doctor tomorrow but curious if anyone else's dc had something similar happen.

Yes, my dd had something similar. Her leg above her knee hurt one day and it wasn't related to any injury we could think of. She had a day of essentially bedrest and it got worse. I took her to the urgent care for an x-ray and she had a giant bone tumor that had finally pushed on a nerve. Luckily it was benign, but she did need two surgeries to clean it out and do a bone graft. It's unlikely that this is what your child has, but he needs an xray to rule it out.

....he needs an xray to rule it out.

Yes, I forgot to say that the TS was confirmed w/ x-Ray and bloodwork.

Ondreeuh, I had forgotten this, but when I was a kid the exact same thing happened to a neighbor girl about my age. She had a benign tumor removed from above her knee.