Menu

A couple fun online courses for a 5th grade girl?

staceyobu

My 5th grader has a bit of down time one day a week while I am tied up with the younger siblings. I would like her to have something "fun" to do but that is still learning oriented.

Any suggestions for an online class? She did a minecraft programming class once before and loved it, but anything would be okay... history, writing, etc. I just don't want something that is a "full curriculum" type course because we already have everything lined up except for a few hours of down time.

(PS - The other siblings are doing academic course work during oldest's free time, so I really don't want it to just be a break, but I'd like her to do something more fun than Saxon math during that time.)

Athena's would work, but be aware that 10 is at the upper end of the age range for many of the classes. One reason why the required output for Athena's is relatively low is that it's focused on younger kids who benefit from higher level input, so, for example, my DD did the intermediate literature sequence at age 7-8. For an actual 5th or 6th grader, it would be a nice book club and book discussion, but most parents would want more writing at that age.

My DD has enjoyed all her classes, but wants to put in a plug for the vocabulary/etymology classes-she's the teaching assistant for the Spring semester :)

When I'm working with Youngest, Eldest does Duolingo. But to get the most out of it one should really do it several times a week.

When I'm working with Eldest, Youngest works on Stack the Countries.

Both boys always have an educational APP on my iPad that they can work on when I give them the job of, "go away and do something useful". They are also allowed to do a chore during that time if they don't want to use an educational app.

Creativity Express. DS was 10 when he did it and enjoyed it. Homeschool buyers co-op has a deal on it: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/creativity-express/?c=1

I'm considering Grammaropolis as review for DD9. (Also has a deal at homeschool buyers co-op)

Or CTC has tons of CDs of brain teasers/logic problems, etc. I have been using their balance benders series for mine and they all tested well above grade level on algebraic thinking.