Menu

Christmas on a budget when the kids already have so much

plain jane

I normally make a big deal out of Christmas gifts. It's always been something that was important to me for various reasons. This year we are on a tight budget. Not only that but I've been spending my whole year going through and purging. I'm not big on frivolous and random toys- IMO pretty much anything that can be found in WalMart toy isles- but even though the kids don't have cheap plastic toys, they all are not in need of anything. And this year I really don't want to bring more in more "stuff." The kids don't need it. We have talked at length and are focusing on giving to others where we can but I would still like to get them each something. But we already have been blessed with so much, it all just seems like more "stuff."

They have all the clothes they could possibly need- I tend to buy used off Craigslist when people sell entire boxes of one size for really cheap or I shop at the local thrift store on sale days. None of my kids care for clothes, not even my teenager.

I will get them each 1 book. Normally they each get a small pile for Christmas, which they look forward to and gives them something to do over the holidays, but this year it's going to be limited to 1 each.

I've asked the kids what they want but none of them want anything. 😳. My 7yo mentioned one item (a specific Lego) which dh sourced and ordered for $30. But the rest don't have a single thing they want.

I don't feel right getting absolutely nothing but what do you get kids who don't have anything that they really want, and I feel they have everything they need?

We have memberships to local museums worth our time to go to. They have ample sporting equipment. My 7yo could use a bike but that's too much for one child right now and not the proper season.

I'm trying to make Christmas special for them. I know it's not about the gifts. But I do want them to each have something to open and something to be excited about. Being on a tight budget also means no trips or short get-aways either.

So far I bought the new Mario Wii U game for them all to share and I think maybe I will get a new board game for the family. There is not going to be a whole lot of money left after those two items- probably $25-$30 each because there are so many of them. How do I stretch it and also get them something meaningful?

Do they enjoy art projects? Maybe an inexpensive kit--I saw one at a local toy store yesterday where a young child could make and paint 7 refrigerator magnets, and there were more advanced kits for older children--that the kids could enjoy making and then either have the result for themselves, or give it away (grandmas tend to love child-created art).

Or, if they enjoy the piles of books, but you're limiting it to 1 each this year, maybe bump it up to 2 or 3 for the kids who don't want toys.

It's difficult to provide specific suggestions without knowing ages/interests of your kids.

• Like 1

I can't see how many is many on my iPhone, nor ages.

If you have older girls, little 'pamper kits' might go down well. Dd15 loves nail varnish, face masks etc and you could make up a nice set for $25.

Could you get one joint 'experience' or do you want to avoid that? The kids are each getting a Netflix voucher - together that's about 6 months Netflix (we only do free TV). They also always love receiving ITunes vouchers. Other 'experiences' I thought of was a waterpark, Gold Class cinema tickets, outdoor cinema tickets (summer here!).

Anything you normally say 'No' to - a giant slab of chocolate for instance 😄? That's why ds loves the ITunes voucher. They might not 'need' clothes but perhaps they'd appreciate a brand-name item you'd normally say 'No' to? Dd wanted a T-shirt with a particular musician on, ds a Minecraft T-shirt. I would NEVER normally spend AU$25 on a T-shirt!

Anything special with Mom or Dad - a promise of a shopping trip, or lunch out etc. But I do understand wanting to give them something to unwrap...

I planned on only vouchers this year because we also don't need 'stuff', but my annual attack of holiday season guilt about living a zillion miles from family sabotaged that plan. Next year...

Edited by nd293

We give a lot of practical gifts, both because it makes sense and because DS has never been interested in toys. We don't do the plastic junk either. But practical doesn't have to be boring or anticlimactic. Do they have things that need replacing (sporting goods, shoes?)? Is it possible to upgrade the replacement item just a bit?

I don't see the ages of your kids so it's hard to think of specifics. If you have artists, there are a ton of very beautiful adult coloring books out there right now. They are inexpensive but fancy, especially if you can pair one with some glitter pencils. I even found one for my DS who is decidedly not into things that like...and he loves it (it's less adult than most but fun--a classic video game theme, found at AC Moore for like $3).

Can you do something sporty that would be fun for the kids to do together, like a zip line or a mini trampoline-ball set? I don't know what those are called but I see the college kids playing with them out on the quad all the time.

Make your own kits tailored to your children’s interests.  A child who likes to help in the kitchen?  Put together a candy or cookie making kit.  Include the recipe and ingredients needed to make the treat.   Find craft, woodworking, or sewing projects and instructions online and printout the instructions.  Then gather the necessary supplies.  Depending on the projects you choose, you may be able to glean from your own stash.   

• Like 2

Could you make them a big cookie each with their name on it? Or some other special food gift they could enjoy on Christmas? A little photo album each with special or funny pictures? Mugs with a family picture on it filled with what each likes ie. chocolate chips, hot chocolate, nuts or whatever. Or just the book with a card where you write something really nice to each of them.

I made my 7 yo hooded towels.  He still likes them, and the one he has is too small.  I just used Target towels, not very expensive, so he's getting three of those in bright punchy color combinations and washcloths.  For my dd16, I bought a body pillow and covered it in really fun sheep/fur fabric.  

I think that Wii U is an AMAZING present, wow!  With something so big, I might wrap the accessories for each kid to open.  So like maybe they need the steering wheels or grips or rechargeable batteries or snacks or spillproof cups...  Rechargeable batteries are big here because the remotes go through them.  

My ds7 likes cute bandaids, so one year he got camo bandaids.  I just bought him Paw Patrol bandaids, hehe.  Now those are things I would put in a stocking, but they could be combined in some other things and make a fun gift.

Are your kids old enough to bake or cook or use tools?  We always try to make sure one of their presents is something permanent, like tools or bakeware.  One year I got my dd a bunch of cookie scoops in different sizes.  You can use them for meatballs, cookies, fruit, anything.  Last year was the year of Microplane, so she got a couple different microplanes, one for nutmeg, one for zesting.  A teapot is always welcome.  Small electrics can be fun like a donut or waffle maker.  It's harder to get ds permanent things, because of his challenges.  So far he has gotten some tools and a toolbag.  One year dd got gloves, grass mat, and clippers for working on landscaping (which she enjoys).  And that's the kind of thing where the components are affordable and they make a nice big present in a box.  Ooo, a car wash bucket would be fun!

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

We do treat food bags here too. I also like the idea of the gift basket, maybe using the gift book as the theme around which the basket is built?

I also usually get each one a fun t-shirt each year. I keep an eye on Tee Fury throughout the year and order when I feel pretty sure it's going to be liked. Or they just tell me--because they keep an eye on it too. :p   I'm not recommending you do TF--if that's even your style--as they're seriously backlogged on filling orders right now. Just giving an example of what I mean by "fun" t-shirt.

All my dc like getting new socks--even the 10yo. The boys--21 and 17--have actually asked for new socks this year. :thumbup1:

Do you all bake and decorate cookies together? If you don't normally do this then it might be a fun to pull together a gift basket for all with frostings and sprinkles. You could even pre-bake and freeze the cookies to add to the basket if baking together might be a bit too much.

Mine also like getting gift cards to their favorite fast food restaurant and/or donut shop.

I think it's great that they can't think of anything that they want!  That said, they wouldn't know they want something if they don't know about it.  I'll bet there are lots of things that they would think of as fun and interesting to do, but they just don't know about it.  I'd probably get something real unique, some kind of a kit.  There are some are very unique catalogs out there that have things that you usually don't see in stores. 

Examples:

butterfly kit (where they send you the larvae)

design-your-own coat-of-arms kit

candy-making kit

miniature terrarium kit

cheese-making kit

sandstone carving kit

make-a-cupcake-in-a-mug kit with recipe book

knitting kit

Things like that are usually inexpensive, and are educational too.  Also, they're something kids can just jump right in and do, which is always fun to do on Christmas.

• Like 2

One thing that I always want to do for my kids and nieces and nephews, but never get around to- because it's easier and faster to just order something off amazon. But, if you have more time than money..... I would find activities on Pinterest that they would love to do, include all of the supplies and instructions. It could be crafty stuff or science stuff, or even cooking/baking stuff. Whatever they like to do! There are some cool ideas for making tiny robots (like hex bugs) out of electric toothbrushes. I keep meaning to do that with my kids- they would love it.

• Like 1

We've done some "experience" gifts, so you have the memories instead of the plastic clutter. For example, an afternoon at an indoor place that has a bunch of giant inflatable jump houses, or a day at the movies with dad including concession stand popcorn, or a family outing to the pricy build-your-own-sundae frozen yogurt place, or indoor ice skating. They've also liked gift cards to the local smoothie place, so they can enjoy it later on in the year as a treat.

Erica in OR

I wonder if what you need to adjust is your own expectation that Christmas needs to mean getting stuff.  Your children are content.  That is a wonderful thing!  I wouldn't undo that or send a conflicting message for anything in the world!

Why not try some other things to treat yourselves to?  Treats that aren't normally purchased (in our house this is cereal...or once I made this sorta stupidly big cake and then we ate a ton of cake for a few days)?  Chocolate milk?  Watch TV/video games/ internet (whatever is normally restricted in your house) in a really overboard sort of way?  If you want to buy something, buy something that you can all play with together (I'm getting my family nerf ball slingshots this year.  The war will be epic!).

But there is no way on earth that I would do anything to interfere with the contentedness those children have expressed.

I often use Christmas to buy things what I want them to have that I might need to buy anyway - homeschool supplies, cute jammies, nicer outfits, art supplies, books, calendars, etc.  We have done experience gifts (the whole family going somewhere).  We typically do indulge kids in some stuff they want, but 90% of the stuff they open at least has somewhat of a practical or educational angle.

• Like 1

I often use Christmas to buy things what I want them to have that I might need to buy anyway - homeschool supplies, cute jammies, nicer outfits, art supplies, books, calendars, etc.  We have done experience gifts (the whole family going somewhere).  We typically do indulge kids in some stuff they want, but 90% of the stuff they open at least has somewhat of a practical or educational angle.

This is our thing too. Family look at the photos of our tree or hear about our presents and I'm sure they must think I've spoiled the kids rotten. Sometimes I even feel guilty at the number of packages under there! But, among the toys with no purpose (of which there are a couple)  we also have this year a lego education kit for school, some art supplies, a big sensory tub kit and some stuff to go with it, some other little sensory things, puzzles for everyone, two lovely play skirts and some new jammies, no books this year but those certainly appear most years, some logic games, a logic tetris type puzzle, a set of math scales, some motor-skill items for the baby like the nuts-and-bolts kit.

So, lots of stuff I'd buy anyway for educational homeschool purposes. I have no idea what I'd buy for Christmas if my kids went to a brick and mortar school! 

Edited by abba12