Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

Without looking it up, do you know...

I knew the general location but it's not because I'm good with geography.  Recently I read a book about a missionary who lived there who was taken prisoner during WWII. 

Yes, but I've read a couple of books based on Papua New Guinea. But here's my ignorance: I always thought the movie The Piano was based in New Guinea. Apparently not b/c I just cheated and saw that it's New Zealand.  :mellow:

Yes, I could easily place it on a world map due to my geography class in 9th grade.  That teacher was awesome.

We've also studied global geography rather extensively with my own guys - not always for a class - mainly because we like our planet and all of its diversity.  We'd have loved to have had enough money to do oodles of field trips.  On one Travel Channel show where the main host was taking a ship to Pitcairn Island (if my memory serves me correctly) he interviewed another traveled who had been to almost every country on the planet.  My guys were officially jealous - as were hubby and I.  We tried to brainstorm afterward how to get enough $$ to do so ourselves...

I would have known anyway, but it's on our shower curtain. ;)

idnib, we have the same shower curtain! I took a Sharpie and put a dot on my town and wrote, "You are here." My kids loved it!

And to answer the OP, I know where it is because a friend of mine grew up there, so I looked it up many years ago after I met her and found that out.

I don't know a lot about it, although I could probably make some reasonable conjectures about climate and the like based on location, but I do have a pretty decent idea of where it is. I could pick it out on a blank map.

But I think the people here are largely better educated than the general population. I'm sure every American on this board knows that Lee fought for the Confederates and the country from whom we declared our independence and at least some main differences between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and that doesn't seem to be true of the general population.

idnib, we have the same shower curtain! I took a Sharpie and put a dot on my town and wrote, "You are here." My kids loved it!

I'm going to steal that idea and add the grandparents as well. Thanks!

Workout looking it up, do you know where Papua New Guinea is? And do you know anything about it?

Yes.  I remember it from Guns, Germs, and Steel.

So now I have to wonder... would you have known? My geography knowledge is not very stellar, but I at least new that, even without any reason to other than just being educated. She said most people think it's either in Africa or South America.

It seems like it would be easy to confuse the name with Guinea in West Africa or even Guyana and French Guiana in South America.  A friend served in the Peace Corps in Togo (West Africa) and people often had it confused with Tonga in the South Pacific.

Absolutely I would have known where it is. But it surprises me zero that most Americans wouldn't. Most Americans don't know geography. My go to quote about this is Homer Simpson, who told Lisa once that it was easy to miss Canada, "all tucked away down there."

Some things I would have known about PNG off the top of my head include that it shares an island with part of Indonesia, that there's more linguistic variation there than anywhere else in the world, that there are lots of mountains that look all pretty and green, that it's one of the most remote places on earth in many ways because of a lack of roads and infrastructure within the interior, that there are all those wacky birds, that they have tree kangaroos (thanks, Scientists in the Field books!), and that I know a couple of people who have been there.

Honestly though, I could probably rattle off five or so facts about nearly any country.

Yep. Geography's always been a thing with me :)

And like Arctic Mama, I have a visual-spatial thing going on. Sometimes I'll be rolling out piecrust and I'll see Australia or Ohio or whatever :D

Without looking it up, do you know where Papua New Guinea is? And do you know anything about it?

Last night I attended at church function and sat at a table with a woman who, along with her husband, served as a missionary in Papua New Guinea. She asked me if I knew where it was, and I said yes, that it was an island north of Australia. She seemed genuinely shocked that I knew that. Then I said, "Well, I might expose my geography ignorance, but is it not on an island shared with another country?" She nearly fell out of her chair that I knew that. I told her that I couldn't remember which country (I guessed Malaysia, but was obviously wrong), but she was so impressed that she introduced me to her husband as someone who "actually knew where Papua New Guinea was!"

So now I have to wonder... would you have known? My geography knowledge is not very stellar, but I at least new that, even without any reason to other than just being educated. She said most people think it's either in Africa or South America.

I would! I had a missionary penpal who lived there when I was in college. I've read missionary stories set there, too. I also served for a couple of years with Wycliffe Bible Translators and they work there so I heard about the work there often.

Yes I know where it is (I've been in Australia for 6 years but I did know before). I think it shares with Indonesia but I'm not sure about that.

People's knowledge of general history and geography can be stunningly poor. When we travelled in Greece we had several people who were very suspicious of out claims to come from South Africa based on our white skin. I guess their high school curriculum skipped over colonialism and apartheid. And they never switched on the news or looked at a newspaper headline (this was in the era when South Africa was in the news a lot).

I knew -- and I knew that it shared an island with Indonesia (Irian Jaya to be exact).

I know this because:

- we had friends that went there (PNG) to do Bible translation.

- DH spent 6 months in Indonesia when he was in college and that's right before we started dating (so I heard a lot about it)

I do because I was born and grew up just north west of Papua New Guinea. When we had an AIESEC varsity conference for Asia Pacific, a contingent from Papua New Guinea came. They border with Indonesia.

Yes, vaguely. I couldn,t put my finger on it but I know where to look. And that it is on an island. Between sailing books and anthropology classes, I remember that much. I had almost zero geography in school.

Nan

Yes. 20 years ago one of the parents in my class moved there due to a job transfer. She sold her home, furniture, the car. A few months later their daughter was back in my class. Her mom would only say that she hated PNG and it was like a "living hell." Oddly, her husband stayed there, so there was probably a lot more going on.

Without looking it up, do you know where Papua New Guinea is? And do you know anything about it?

Last night I attended at church function and sat at a table with a woman who, along with her husband, served as a missionary in Papua New Guinea. She asked me if I knew where it was, and I said yes, that it was an island north of Australia. She seemed genuinely shocked that I knew that. Then I said, "Well, I might expose my geography ignorance, but is it not on an island shared with another country?" She nearly fell out of her chair that I knew that. I told her that I couldn't remember which country (I guessed Malaysia, but was obviously wrong), but she was so impressed that she introduced me to her husband as someone who "actually knew where Papua New Guinea was!"

Yes, I know that because of memorizing maps and classifying people for my job and people who were missionaries there.

I'd have to look up the other country. Oh gosh, I did. Okay. Whoops. I always think of Indonesia as further east... which much of it is.

I don't know much of the culture at all.

Nope.  LOL  In my mind, it is and island near the equator, to the East of Africa.  Not really, wrong....but that describes a LOT of land, and if i looked at a map, I couldn't point it out.

Yes, absolutely. I use Sheppard Software and know pretty much every country.

Plus, I have friends who work as anthropologists in PNG.

One of my ancestors was born in Vanuatu, and I would love to see that part of the world.

I would have said, um, isn't it the island the Swiss Family Robindon was enroute to when they were shipwrecked?

I know where it is. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it. When I went to HS, a boy in my class had lived there for some time with his missionary parents.

Yes.  My cousins grew up there, and my brother and his family went there for Christmas one year.  Maybe that's why I know.

Yes. My kids think our main map makes it look like a dinosaur. They are partial to states/countries that look like things.

No, I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where it was, only a vague sense of 'very far from America.' 

I knew it was down near Australia. I was thinking west of Australia, not North. But not AFrica or South America!

Yes to both questions.  Learned all about the place from teaching geography to my kids and SCUBA diving discussions.

Yes. And I know the country it shares its island with. And I know all of the stans, the countries surrounding Saudi, the Canadian provinces, loads of capital cities, and random cities in Russia - all thanks to many years with the shower curtain (I keep replacing it, it's not all moldy and gross :p)