Menu

YOUR Favorite apps for Kindle

hadera

With the great deal over Thanksgiving I got both my kids (4th &6th) Kindles. These will be used strictly for books and educational apps. So far I have: Numbers, Dragonbox,, Audible and Overdrive. 

I would like to find a good spell checker/dictionary app, spelling/ vocabulary and math apps that actually help understand math (not just drill). My dd could use an app with math definitions.  

ANY other apps you have found useful and fun would be great! 

Overdrive books will check out through amazon, or at least they do with our library, so I'm not sure you'll need overdrive either.  

Have you gotten them earbuds?  If you'll have two kids using them at once, you'll want earbuds.  We use earbuds in the car too.

We LOVE the parental controls on the kindle.  I keep the apps off most of the time and only turn them on when I want him to have them.  The audiobooks will still work when you have apps off.  You can control the camera, wifi, etc.

Favorite apps?  The other lists you've seen here are good.  You can also google search the boards (using your terms plus site:welltrainedmind.com) and see back threads.  Right now my ds really loves the simulator apps like Falcon simulator, Eagle simulator, etc.  He really likes the Angry Birds apps, which of course are not educational.  I have some physics apps, building apps, that kind of thing.  Just google for them or google for lists of educational android apps.  There are soroban abacus simulators, all kinds of things.  I just don't tend to use them much.  Some of the eurogames like Ticket to Ride are available for android/kindle.  They will build working memory, so that makes them worthwhile.  Now my ds would say Falcon simulator is educational, haha, but I'm not so sure.

Enjoy your new kindles!  We LOVE ours!

• Like 1

Overdrive books will check out through amazon, or at least they do with our library, so I'm not sure you'll need overdrive either.  

Have you gotten them earbuds?  If you'll have two kids using them at once, you'll want earbuds.  We use earbuds in the car too.

My kids all hate earbuds, so we bought a 5.00 converter that allows two sets of headphones at once.

My kids' play 2048, Abacus Adventures, Angry Birds, Bacterium, Treble Cat and Bass Cat, Carcassone, Catan, Chess, Coop Fractions, Dragon Box and Dragonbox Elements, Duolingo, Gus Spanish, Kids Phonics, Math Zombies, Medieval Math, Minecraft, Netflix, Plants vs Zombies, Presidents vs Aliens, Small World, Stack the Countries and Stack the States, Ticket to Ride, and Tower Math. Not all of these are educational.