Menu

Elements of Mathematics: Foundations for credit?

Has anyone had a DC complete (or nearly complete) the released Elements of Mathematics:  Foundations series of classes?  If so, have you or will you assign high school credit for any/all?

Background:  My DD will be in high school next year.  We are considering having her attend our local charter school on a part-time basis.  (They seem to be VERY flexible; in essence, it appears that we could homeschool to whatever extent we wish and take as many or as few on-campus classes as we wish.  They are also very open-minded when it comes to granting credits.)  I have had a discussion with the curriculum advisor, and it was she who suggested that the EMF material might be credit-worthy.  I hadn’t really given it much thought, to be honest.  

Any thoughts/experience?

ETA:  DD is currently enrolled in the 10th of the 12 completed classes.  (Note to self:  Do not attempt to post ANYTHING during the first cup of coffee.)

Edited by JoJosMom

I don't have any experience with this curriculum, but from the description on their site, it seems to be targeted towards children who are naturally math oriented and would be bored with the usual teaching methods. So, regardless of the age of the student, it looks to me like the appropriateness of the course would be based on the student's natural math ability.  If it is a good fit for your daughter, IMO, it would not be a problem to give high school credit as long as she learns high school level math.

Have she taken the free EMF aptitude test that is offered on their web site?

• Like 1

Given that it is working well for her, I would definitely give high school credit for the course. Do you know what level of math she'll be ready for when she finishes level 12?  If she would be ready for pre-calculus or above at that point, I'd not hesitate to give her a year of high school credit for each EMF course. That would be the usual for Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II.

• Like 1

Any thoughts/experience?

ETA:  DD is currently enrolled in the 10th of the 12 completed classes. 

How long are the "classes"?   

This certainly could be an elective in Advanced Math but not sure how many credits.

Maybe use AoPS for the "standard" HS math classes going forward.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

How long are the "classes"?   

This would certainly could be an elective in Advanced Math but not sure how many credits.

Maybe use AoPS for the "standard" HS math classes going forward.

Thanks for responding, Mark.

The EMF classes are self-paced.  (The link to the course descriptions is here, ICYI.)  Upon enrollment, the student is given 90 days to complete each class.  DD has taken 9 classes since late September 2014, taking last summer off.  The next 3 are an introduction to abstract algebra and, according to one of the techs with whom I exchanged emails, very challenging.  I like your idea of "Advanced Math" as an elective.  Perhaps I will assign credits by time enrolled, making this semester 3. :thumbup1:

As for your suggestion to use AoPS as DD's "standard" math-I think you're brilliant!  (That's what she's doing.  :D  EMF is her fun math.)