Menu

How to talk to dd (16) about her weight, food choices and exercise

jen3kids

Why would one want to treat his child's weight issues any other way than his approach to other teaching? I would not let political correctness or fear of other's assaults interfere with what one knows works for his own daughter. Consistency in parenting can extend to all things even though we modify as our children age.

You have managed to do a great job getting her to age 16, I presume. You should do well with teaching her about weight.

There are a million ways to skin this cat. Most likely, if you approach weight the same way you did about drugs, smoking, dating, studying, riding a bike, driving a car, or whatever, you will do fine. And, like most of our other parenting, kids learn eating habits by example.

You also have to go with what limitations you have whether that be budget limitations for healthy foods, inability to keep a kid active and away from food, or whatever. This may dictate how you can approach the issue.

Let us know the things you do and whether or not it works for her.

I just had to do some CME on weight loss. There are quite a few options after one has become overweight. But not as much help with prevention in our super sized society.

• Like 1