Menu

The time has evidently come...we are at that age...

Liz CA

I had the fakest looking tree ever, it was like a Charlie Brown fake tree, and I loved it with all my heart.

The angels at the top of the tree are fake, why not the whole dang thing? After all, it's not like you'd actually kill an angel and stick it up there. Why kill a tree?*

Enjoy your tree. It's a real celebration even if it's not a fake tree.

*(We are going to kill a tree probably... sorry, tree...)

• Like 4

I was the person who dragged the family out in the snow every year to cut down a tree. Only I cared about that. So we eventually bought a fake tree.  I quickly discovered that I care a whole lot more about the family decorating and baking together than I care about whether the tree is real. I bought a candle that smells like a tree...kind of...and we're all happy. I get my family time when we decorate the tree and the family doesn't have to trample through snow to choose a tree and drag it home and spend an hour setting it up and then hauling it away after the holiday. 

In pictures the tree looks fine. It's from Hobby Lobby. 

• Like 4

Every year I have the same thought as I'm decorating the tree.  I think...this so weird.  I'm putting random sparkly things and lights on a plastic fake thing that looks somewhat like a tree. And I've parked this monstrosity in an inconvenient place in my living room.  An alien race who knew nothing of the practice might think I'm doing a very nutty thing. 

• Like 10

We have a tree from Balsam Hill. It's good. We're in year 3 with it - lights are still fine. Branches are sturdy. It looks pretty realistic.

If you by any chance have access to a wholesale florist shop - go there. We had an amazing tree for ten years. It was too big for our space so we replaced it, but wow, was it beautiful. I no longer have access to a wholesale florist, so we went with Balsam Hill.

• Like 1

I bought a fake tree right after Christmas 10 years ago. 75% off a $500.00 tree. It is still amazing looking.

I love the smell of a real tree and the hunt to find just the right one. But I was so freaked out by the possibility of a fire starting in our terribly dried out tree( I could never keep them fresh. I tried everything I could). But with the fake one, I don't worry about it at all. (Must be because our house burned to the ground when I was 7 just before Christmas. :-(

• Like 2

We got ours about 10 years ago at an after Christmas sale, 75% off too. It's a Tree Classics Noble fir w/real-feel needles. It came pre-lit but by year three we had to take all the pre-fab lights off (WHICH WAS AWFUL!). Now that the lights are removable...I LOVE IT. It will easily last another 20 years.

• Like 2

We have a cheapie(under $200) from Walmart(or maybe Target). It holds ornaments, does not require water, does not shed needles, is pre lit, and the lights have worked for the past 2 years. It works for me.

We had an even cheaper one before that. Ugly, so ugly, but the lights worked for 7 years. We had to change, I think, 5 bulbs ever. It wasso easy to set up. My DD beat it at wrestling though, so we upgraded.

I was the person who dragged the family out in the snow every year to cut down a tree. Only I cared about that. So we eventually bought a fake tree. I quickly discovered that I care a whole lot more about the family decorating and baking together than I care about whether the tree is real. I bought a candle that smells like a tree...kind of...and we're all happy. I get my family time when we decorate the tree and the family doesn't have to trample through snow to choose a tree and drag it home and spend an hour setting it up and then hauling it away after the holiday.

In pictures the tree looks fine. It's from Hobby Lobby.

Yes, this exactly. I like having a fake tree becasue it's already here, waiting in the basement. We have usually put it up after Thanksgiving, and this year, that was perfect since DD was home from college. It's great that we can put it up when it's convenient for us, and no problem if it's rainy, windy, cold or crowded. :)

It is not easy to find a non-pre-lit tree anymore. I'm not too pleased about that. We have two trees (that sounds so absurd just typing it), and one is quite old and not pre-lit, but the newer one is pre-lit. This year, some of the lights were out and I we had to add a string to that section. Not ideal. The newer tree does not look fake, though. It has a bushy tip on each branch that makes it full-looking.

Out old tree...well, that does look fake now. It has lost so many fake needles over the years that it looks more bare than it once did.

• Like 1

I bought a fake tree right after Christmas 10 years ago. 75% off a $500.00 tree. It is still amazing looking.

I love the smell of a real tree and the hunt to find just the right one. But I was so freaked out by the possibility of a fire starting in our terribly dried out tree( I could never keep them fresh. I tried everything I could). But with the fake one, I don't worry about it at all. (Must be because our house burned to the ground when I was 7 just before Christmas. :-(

What a terribly sad memory!

We had a fake one for years, but finally switched to getting a real tree last year. It was soooo much nicer. The only downfall is that we worried constantly about ticks (DS had just been diagnosed with Lyme). It was my husbands first time ever with a real tree. I think we'll stick with them for quite awhile.

Our very nice fake tree was from Target. I'm sure I didn't spend much on it. It did shed fake needles though, almost as much as the real tree and less likely to get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.

My fake tree doesn't look fake, I don't think, unless you get up close to it. We got it at Lowes years ago. I haven't tried a real tree in almost 3 decades. I didn't like the needles dropping all over the floor. I didn't like to worry about keeping it watered. The cats didn't help matters. I didn't like throwing it out when the season was over.

Funny thing. Dd17 and I went to Kroger yesterday and they have small potted frazier firs. Dd thought it was fake. Even touching it with her hands she couldn't tell.

Lots of nice looking fake trees available, but I agree with up thread, if you can wait, wait until literally right after Christmas.  You can get them 50% - 80% off depending on the year and the distributor.  Much, much better prices than right before.  Don't want too long, though.  Sometimes the great sales don't last that long.  Do your research ahead of time, figure out which tree you really want, have a back up tree in mind in case that one is not available after Christmas then buy after Christmas is over.  You will have a great fake but real looking tree just ready to go for next season and you will have saved a ton of money.  Consider it your Christmas present to your family for next year...  :)

We have a fake tree that looks quite real. When people see the tree stand peeking out and realize it isn't real, they often go up and touch it to make sure, and sometiems even then they look twice, lol. Take a close look at the tips of the branches  You want the ones that have molded plastic needles on the end, they look like this. The inner branches are just filler for colour, but no one can really get a close look at those. Ours is going on 9 1/2 feet tall and for 10 years and we've had no problems, other than the maintenance of replacing burnt out bulbs every year. so the strand doesn't blow.