Menu

Little things that are making my life better

Moxie

1) Petty cash--a few months ago, I got $100 in $1's and $5's and I keep it in my office instead of my purse.  It has saved my bacon so many times!  Like when a child lost a tooth at 10:30 PM or when someone wants to go get a soda with a friend or when the local band comes around selling candy bars.  Petty cash is awesome!!

2) The Handy Caddy!!  http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Caddy-Sliding-Counter-Tray/dp/B003LQZKIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449266895&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+slide+for+coffee+pot  Now I can push my Keurig into the corner and out of the way or pull it out for easy use.  I love it!!

Your turn!!  What little things are making your life better??

• Like 12

Great topic!  

Yep, "petty cash" is so helpful.   We use the envelope system and make certain that we have small denominations for all of the little things.   

Mason Jars  also make my life easier.  we use them for storing leftovers, sales, dry goods, office supplies, and whatever else we can think of.  they're wonderfully sturdy and take up less fridge space. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the other tips. 

Wonderlist. It's a list keeping app on my phone that's synced with my husbands phone. We add things as needed and I star what we're actually getting on shopping day. I also have a to do list for him with like 20 things on it and I star things on weekends depending on the amount of free time he has. It was free.

• Like 5

Ugh!  I wish I had thought of petty cash.  I had to borrow money from the kids yesterday.  I told them I would pay them interest.  They told me they were going to charge me 25%.  Then they felt bad and reduced it to 10%.  They still felt bad and decided on 4%.   :laugh:

Things that make life easier....hmmm....

1.  Library cart for all the materials we are using for the week. 

2.  Magazine holders to keep workbooks/textbooks/reading material together based on subject and easy to put away when not needed.

3.  Automatic Kitty Litter box.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...

• Like 2

Petty cash is a great and logical idea.

My doodad under the Keurig type machine rolls in and out--awesome! It also has a drawer for holding all those little cups. So easy to see what I or others want to drink.

One of the smartest things we ever did to this house was install an auto on light in the laundry room. Enter the room with an armload of dirty clothes and the light pops on with out you having to thinking about it. Simply changing out the switch is how its done.

We keep $10 cash in an envelope in every car. Great if you are out of gas and forgot your wallet. Well, I never do that, but my guys might have from time to time.

• Like 3

Flea comb--actually an old lice comb. It's really helping us control the fleas on the cat; the spot treatment isn't working on these mutant fleas.

I trash picked a white wire cart on 4 wheels that collapses. I use it all the time, esp when I have to change out my classroom Montessori-inspired "works." The other teachers see me coming and laugh--"Must be Monday!"

Dollar Tree kitchen dishcloths. I paid 10 bucks and put all ten cloths in a cute little basket. Now I have a clean dishrag whenever I need one and I can stop using those nasty sponges my dh loves but cannot seem to keep clean.

• Like 2

Uhhhh, Handy Caddy, where have you been all my life?!?!?! Fabulous! Just put 2 in my Amazon cart for my dh's big ol' cappucino maker!

I nailed the petty cash thing several years ago. I usually have around $200 in low bills.

I bought this pillow thing for my iPad so I can prop it up on the counter when I'm using recipes from websites. I got sick of the precarious hard case with the flap thing that I had to somehow insert to make the tablet upright.  This is great!  www.gogopillow.com

Also, I deleted Facebook from my phone. If I want to check it I have to log in from the computer, which I usually don't feel like doing. Wow! What a liberating feeling! Now I don't have to get irritated as frequently during my day.  :laugh:

Edited by forgetmenot
  • Like 6

Petty cash is a great idea! I also keep some cash in the car, but never thought of keeping cash at home.Just last night, my girls needed some cash for an event. I had some in my purse this time, but there's been plenty of times when I haven't any.

We find it useful to keep petty cash on hand at home too.  We might dip into it a little too often for take out though.   :glare:

Otherwise I can't really think of much to add.  I have a handful of cheap shortcuts (like using old peanut butter lids as spoon holders at the stovetop), but I can't say they make life easier.  They just make it less expensive.

For easier I think my biggest thing was redefining "clean" oodles of years ago - that and "subscribing" to "Perfectly Good Homes & Gardens" rather than "Better Homes and Gardens."

• Like 5

I found the best flash card generator recently: http://www.kitzkikz.com/flashcards/ You can put a border on one side to tell the front from the back easily (or put borders on both sides or none at all) and you can choose cutting lines to be printed or not. 

The flash cards make memory work easier to make games out of and save wear and tear on my books. 

Sorry, I know that's boring. Ha!

Edited by LavenderGirl
  • Like 7

I triple bag the rubbish bin. That shouldn't make a difference, but I love being able to pull the full bag out and have another ready to go!

I punch all store cards, library cards etc and keep then on a ring, and in my bag. No more over stuffed wallet. No more remembering that the card I want is at home.

• Like 12

I triple bag the rubbish bin. That shouldn't make a difference, but I love being able to pull the full bag out and have another ready to go!

I punch all store cards, library cards etc and keep then on a ring, and in my bag. No more over stuffed wallet. No more remembering that the card I want is at home.

Our library offers key ring size cards prepunched. No more losing and replacing cards. 

• Like 1

Having veggies and fruits pre-chopped for the week ahead.

This would really help me, as most of our meals are the 'freshly cooked' variety (as opposed to stews etc) and I'm always out with kids at activities or play dates just when I need to start cooking.

I also like to keep cooked chicken in the freezer for quick meals.

• Like 1

Finally thought of something! Having a separate folder in my email for "orders pending". As soon as I place an order or get Any sort of notification regarding a purchase (mailing notification etc) I put them in that folder. Has helped so much to keep track of what has arrived, what hasn't, if there are delays etc. It has been really helpful :)

• Like 7

Lately, I've started making lunch and a few snacks before I clean up from breakfast. Our days are running so much more smoothly! Lunch is quick and painless, with time to read or play with Dh while he's home, and no one can get away with taking 30-minute breaks from school to "make a snack". 

I also bought myself an iPhone case that has a hidden compartment for cards. It is so liberating not to have to carry a purse when I'm running around with the kids!

• Like 2

I am genuinely thrilled with my $100 shopping list maker

The rest of the family uses our Amazon Echo for various things, but I've found the shopping list to be a real life saver.  Instead of running up and down the stairs to find my list whenever I think of something we need, I tell Alexa.  (Actually, that should be, instead of pretending I'll remember later b/c I don't feel like running to my list.)  She can recite my requests when I'm finalizing my list, or I can check on the app when I get to the store. Or I can add things on the app when we're not home. The downside is that my kids like to add candy and farts to the list, but I've never fallen for it.  :p

I can also tell her to ship me cat litter right in the middle of pouring the last of a bag, which is pretty awesome.

• Like 8

I couldn't think of anything to add yesterday, but I actually had a dream about this last night. The items that were making my friend's life easier were what she called "mama's cushy helpers" or something like that. In my dream she was using a heated insulated bag, but she confessed to collecting all kinds of seemingly expensive and seldom used things like that that she found very useful.

So, I don't have one and can't imagine when I would use one, but maybe my life would be infinitely easier with a heated insulated bag? Lol

(Does anyone have one? Do you use it?)

• Like 1

Scanner Pro app. I scan schoolwork, permission slips, doctors notes, etc, and they come out as nice PDFs. Things I want to save can then go into Notability.

I take photos of some things, but for making PDFs, Scanner Pro is just so easy.

I also like transparent plastic envelopes from the Contsiner Store. A #10 one for receipts and a half sheet one for regular papers that I fold in half. Cuts down on desperate rummaging in my purse.

Clear binder pockets instead of file folders for things I am currently working on.

ETA. I am the type that loses physical papers.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

A softsided cooler in the back of my car.  During most trips it holds grocery bags, but if I need to keep something cold (or hot) in it goes.

Blank business cards in a pocket of my purse.  I bought the kids the large boxes of them for flash cards, but I keep about 10 on me at all times.  Whenever I need to write down important information or hand over info to someone else, it goes on a card and in my wallet.  No loose papers to keep track of.

• Like 3

1) Petty cash--a few months ago, I got $100 in $1's and $5's and I keep it in my office instead of my purse.  It has saved my bacon so many times!  Like when a child lost a tooth at 10:30 PM or when someone wants to go get a soda with a friend or when the local band comes around selling candy bars.  Petty cash is awesome!!

2) The Handy Caddy!!  http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Caddy-Sliding-Counter-Tray/dp/B003LQZKIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449266895&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+slide+for+coffee+pot  Now I can push my Keurig into the corner and out of the way or pull it out for easy use.  I love it!!

Your turn!!  What little things are making your life better??

This thing looks great!  I might get one for my Kitchenaid.  Thanks!

I thought of another one--I had business cards made for myself. It has my contact information and the names of my kids. It has been so great to hand to people when I drop my kids off for a party or when we get a new neighbor or when people ask for my email address.

• Like 5

Oh! An eye cup. Seriously, my kids learned to use eye cups at three yrs old, and they teach their friends if there is any uncomfortable eye stuff ever. Eye cups are the best first aid for eyes. Such a small thing, but no one ever uses them!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

We signed up for a compost service (porch pick-up once a week) and now we hardly ever have to take out the trash (which entails walking across the deck and down a flight of stairs to the other end of the house, often in the dark/cold/rain).

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

heated towel warmer  -- we first came across these in England (usually wall-mounted; ours is freestanding, like this one). They make damp towels warm and keep them from getting musty. Also useful for drying small things (and even jeans), and for heating up pajamas before bed.

heat wrap -- something like this. Something else we first discovered in England. Makes it soooo easy to fall asleep on a cold winter night, even in a fairly chilly house. :)

melatonin -- we returned several weeks ago from an extended trip to Romania, Bulgaria, etc. and I was having trouble getting a good night's sleep. A few days ago I finally tried melatonin, and I've slept like a baby ever since. Perhaps it is the power of suggestion, but I'm not asking questions! :)

• Like 7

A $20 bill tucked safely in my wallet. It is for emrgencies... Not typical spending. It could be for gas money, food, giving to someone in crisis, etc. A $50 would be better but $20 is a great start as you aren't likely to break a $20 for a pop or snack etc.

Always filling my gas tank up when it gets to about 1/2 tank (200 miles). We are rural and just last week alone I had to make a night trip to the hospital following the ambulance with MIL and that is 40 miles rough trip and then a quick trip to the doctor to get some stuff fory daughter'medical tests and that was 35 miles away. I never have to worry I might run out of gas.

In the kitchen I keep a spray bottle filled with cleaner/disinfectant (like Lysol) for spraying down counters, door knobs, the table etc.

• Like 4

We moved into a new to us house in September. My husband hung the Christmas lights on it today. On the outside flood light there is an outlet to plug the lights. No extension cord needed and we can flip a switch in the dining room to turn them on/off. We've never had a house with that feature before and it is great!

• Like 5

Keeping a stash of batteries in the house. I pick them up whenever I'm at Ikea. Today the scale battery died and I knew I had a fresh pack of them :)

I do exactly the same thing sinec IKEA has such a good price on batteries. Freeing, isn't it? :hurray:

• Like 1

I keep a Flip & Tumble 24-7 bag http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Tumble-24-7-Bag-Slate/dp/B0028K2SSM/ref=pd_sim_201_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=31p4VD9ll%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0Y9JC53HEH4Y7DWB5YGYin my purse so I always have a reusable shopping bag with me. It can hold 4 bags of flour without a problem...or a week of library books!

I also use it as an extra bag when traveling to carry food onto a plane or store jackets etc.

• Like 5

I started using crockpot liners and disposable tin pans inside of my 9x13 pans.  No more scrubbing.

I taught my big kids to do their own laundry. 

I keep cash too.  Not only handy, but b/c I take a set amount each pay period it keeps budgeting easier.  I don't have to *worry* about it...what is there is there, when it's gone it's gone, and we'll get more on pay day.

• Like 3

We moved into a new to us house in September. My husband hung the Christmas lights on it today. On the outside flood light there is an outlet to plug the lights. No extension cord needed and we can flip a switch in the dining room to turn them on/off. We've never had a house with that feature before and it is great!

I love this idea!

I think I'll start a savings fund for having an electrician come out and install eve outlets in every corner of the house roof. It would make Christmas décor a breeze.

I'd also like an outlet on my mantle, but since it's cast stone, I guess not. If I ever change it, though, I'll do it.

• Like 1

I love the Google app called Keep. I can keep shopping lists, packing lists, daily schedule, long-term things to remeber, recipes, etc. organized on my phone.

I can also add DH to make a shared list that we can both see & edit. I can ask him to pick stuff up at the store and update the list in realtime and he has check boxes to make sure he gets it all. We also have a "honey do" list. I've made a list of all my plans for Dec. so DH can jeep track. We keep a list of which Lego Dimensions packs we own & want so we don't accidentally duplicate. It is so handy!

Edited by AndyJoy
  • Like 2

I love the Google app called Keep. I can keep shopping lists, packing lists, daily schedule, long-term things to remeber, recipes, etc. organized on my phone.

I can also add DH to make a shared list that we can both see & edit. I can ask him to pick stuff up at the store and update the list in realtime and he has check boxes to make sure he gets it all. We also have a "honey do" list. I've made a list of all my plans for Dec. so DH can jeep track. We keep a list of which Lego Dimensions packs we own & want so we don't accidentally duplicate. It is so handy!

This sounds handy. Do you have this on androids? Asking because dh has a phone from work and I will get some type of android soon. Would be cool if we could sync it since dh does a lot of the grocery shopping.

I keep a $20 in each car for emergencies, but also one on the fridge for the older kids to use.  There are many times that one of them needs money and I am not home.  They know they can take it without asking. They just text me to let me know to replace it.  It has been as easy system for us to use and saves a lot of hassle. 

I don't buy assorted styles of socks for the kids.  I buy 3 six packs, all one style, at a time.  If they are outgrown, or get down to a weeks worth (due to lost/destroyed socks), I throw the rest away and buy new ones.   I Hate matching 20 different styles of socks, so I don't.  The loose socks go into a drawer and they just grab a couple of socks.  Since they are all the same, they always match! LOL  The rare exception is maybe a colored detail.  But even then, there are usually 6 of that color (a pair in each 6 pack), so it isn't hard to find one of the same color.   When my kids were little, I used to keep a few pair of socks in the shoe cupboard.  That way when I was in a hurry, I didn't have to go track down socks before we headed out the door. To add to that idea... My neighbor with 3 daughters, put a plastic 3 drawer container in her shoe closet. All socks went in the shoe cupboard The socks were sorted by little kid, big kid, adult and were shared by everyone. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 5