Menu

WTM Academy Biology

I'm curious about the workload - both time spent and types of assignments. Thanks!

This class has required a lot of time and effort for my son.  Requirements for the class include:

*two live lectures per week (an hour each)

*homework after lecture (from the textbook)

*discussion board posts every other week (one original post 200 words and two response posts 100 words each)

*a quiz about every other week

*an exam maybe once a month

*2 labs a month  

*right now he's working on a paper on a scientific book (she has a list to choose from... he chose The Double Helix-- to give you and idea of the kinds of books on the list.  Another one was Sociobiology by E.O. Wilson)    Paper needs to be no more than 6 pages in length.

*midterm coming up

Overall he spends between 15-20 hrs a week on biology.  The labs tend to take a long time--- initially the discussion board posts were taking him a long time, but he's kind of got the hang of how to do those now, so are taking him less effort.  Between the readings from the text, the homework, studying, and the labs-- he's busy! 

• Like 6

Yes, this class threw us for a loop on work load, though dd is in 7th grade and I wondered if she is just too young at this point.  I've had to cut way back on other subjects so she can devote time to biology.  In fact, we're considering dropping 2nd semester and completing the rest of the syllabus on our own.  

She's writing her paper on Selfish Gene, which also takes time, but we're made that her English writing assignment with her tutor.  

But I am pleased with how much she has learned, and I love hearing Amy Upperman's friendly voice during lectures.  I've emailed her a few times with questions, and she's always responded promptly and has been very helpful.   

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm so glad I asked! It's more time consuming than I had anticipated, but it looks like it's worthwhile work. Is there much busywork? 

Is the class just audio or does the instructor use the video as well? We prefer video, but it's not a deal breaker. 

Thank you both so much!

The video component has slides, and it looks like the kids can take turns writing on the slides using a mouse in the interactive component.  

During the lecture, students can ask questions directly, but my dd prefers to text her questions in which do get answered in lecture.  It's kind of neat to see eveyone's comments in the text window.  

eta:  I'll check with dd on the busywork aspect.  Right now she's uh...studying biology.

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 1

The video component has slides, and it looks like the kids can take turns writing on the slides using a mouse in the interactive component.  

During the lecture, students can ask questions directly, but my dd prefers to text her questions in which do get answered in lecture.  It's kind of neat to see eveyone's comments in the text window.  

eta:  I'll check with dd on the busywork aspect.  Right now she's uh...studying biology.

:lol:

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I still agree that Bio is a very time consuming class, however, the instructor is top notch. My non-science kid absolutely loved how organized and involved Ms. Upperman has been throughout the year. The class was actually better in scope than the freshman bio class I took in college. 

• Like 2

We are also thinking ahead about biology. What do you all think of the Holt textbook that the class is using? It seems that default textbooks are considered here Campbell/Reece and Miller Levin. I don't have enough knowledge about bio to evaluate Holt text. Those of you who opted for this class, do you know how it compares to either C/R or ML? 

We did not use the WTM class, but I will say that I chose ML over Holt because there were fewer (but not few enough) distracting graphics and sidebars and the text was more fluid. We used Holt Science and Technology Short Course books in the past and liked them, but I was not a fan of their bio book, and neither was my dd.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My daughter is signed up to take this WTMA class next year.  I am glad she is taking the Logic Astronomy with the WTMA this semester so she has had a chance to get used to doing the weekly discussions, etc.  I find the work load really interesting.  I homeschooled my oldest ds from 1-8th, and this year he wanted to go to public school.  I would say his Biology class has been extremely easy, and he almost never has any homework.  It is amazing the difference between public/homeschool.

Edited by WillowFlora
  • Like 1