Menu

Help, please. Where do I find booklists for history. We'll be using Streams as guide.

supermom

We've been using TOG for the past 18 months and really enjoy the history portion where we use books on a subject instead of just a textbook. Because I have been mainly using TOG for the booklist (very expensive booklist), I am thinking about changing to Streams of Civilization as our guide and picking out my own books for independent reading and read-alouds. Can anyone guide me to a free book list in historical chronological order so I don't have to spend days reading through book descriptions? I have kids at every level (G, D, R). I want to make this work, but a little nervous about doing it all on my own. Any advice to help me know how to pull this all together is appreciated. Has anyone ever used Streams as your main guide as I'm wanting to do?

Thank you.

Monica

You might want to get different catalogs like Veritas Press or the Heart of Wisdom Website and see what they are recommending for the time period you are going to be studying. If you can afford to, I recommend puchasing "All Through the Ages" by Christine Miller, it list books in chronological order and then broken down into age group.

I can't vouch for all of the titles listed here, but here are several lists I have found and marked for future reference.

Chronological List of Kid's History http://www.abookintime.com/

http://readingyourwaythroughhistory.com/

Historical Fiction for Children and Young Adults http://bookgirl3.tripod.com/historicalfiction.html

The next couple of links are good for all kinds of read-alouds, not just historical literature.

Database of Award Winning Children's Literature http://www.dawcl.com/

Children's Literature Comprehensive Database http://www.childrenslit.com/

is an excellent database that some libraries subscribe to. But there are many free resources available under the children's literature link in the menu bar.

Why aren't you using TOG more than just the book list? The Redesign schedules Streams. You could use the TOG titles with all the helps, if you need more titles than what TOG provides then I understand more but I don't understand why you'd use TOG for just a book list. Are you going to sell TOG?

Others have provided excellent suggestions so I don't have anything to add in that arena.

1.Well, we can do geography separately following through the places we read about. TOG isn't really giving me geography unless I buy MA and I can buy that anyway. It does give me a list of places to identify, but I can pick those locations out as we read.

2.I rarely end up reading all of the teacher's notes. I own a set of World Book and we do have the internet,

so as I read Streams....we can then go off and read in more detail any topic we want.

3.I find the worksheets and Q/A to be very hard to answer and find answers for at the Dialectic stage. I read, watch videos and we discuss a lot as we do, but I really don't feel like I need the guide. We are getting so much out of what we are doing.

4. I can pick topics for writing quite easily, I just need a writing guide. I can keep my Writing Aids for that.

I love TOG and all that Marcia has put into it. It's amazing. But with 4 children, I'm finding I am lacking in the Science department. History/Geography is very important to me, but I'm not sure I would say in this day and age it is THAT much more important than science. I just purchased NOEO science and want to devote equal time to that for my 3 younger kids and my oldest is doing ABEKA Biology. I have been lugging around the huge TOG manual, yet only using a tiny portion of it. I just feel like I can do the same thing (read books, watch videos, discuss) without spending $200 a year and lugging around that huge binder. I am going to give this a try.....and if it works out for a month or so, I will probably sell my TOG. This is a hard decision for me because I think TOG is so wonderful, but I believe we can get plenty of history....the way we are doing it. I am sure there are others getting a better history than my children, but I am not as organized as you ;o). My 7 year old knows so much more than I knew when I graduated highschool after what we have learned the past 18 months....same for my older 3. We will still cycle through history every 4 years. Who knows, maybe after a month of trying my own plan, we will go back to TOG. I have always wanted to cover all of it, but never have done it.

I think I've been babbling. I hope I made myself clear. We shall see how it goes.

Monica