Menu

PSAT scores

The saga continues....well, I just arrived back home and decided to check to see if the scores have magically appeared for either kiddo. The site crashed on the first login attempt. Now I am getting an error message stating that password does not match login id. (The login and password fields are stored on my computer and automatically entered into the fields.) The level of incompetence is beginning to become comical.

kand, I don't see an email address listed anywhere on the score reports.  The only identifying information it has is

student name (first & last)

school name ("California Home School, School Code: 990599"-which is the state homeschool code),  and

"2015, Grade: 10th." 

"Student ID:  N/A"

"Optional Code: N/A"

This morning, when I tried to log into the one son's account which I had logged in and out of lots of times yesterday, it said that the password/user name was incorrect. Doesn't make sense because they worked perfectly well yesterday.  It locked me out for too many attempts to sign in and it required me to change the password. I changed the password. Then I went back to the studentscores sign in page, entered the user name and (new) pwd. Nothing at all happened to the sign in page. I tried entering user name & pwd again, and, again, nothing at all happened on the page. However, I did glimpse the flash that shows when something gets downloaded. I checked the download folder, clicked on the last item & it was my son's score report.

I think there are just a bunch of technical problems and it's just a matter of luck if it works any particular time you try to sign in. Now when I try to bring up my son's account, it says "Our records indicate you have not taken any College Board assessments...." 

What a mess.

• Like 2

The saga continues....well, I just arrived back home and decided to check to see if the scores have magically appeared for either kiddo. The site crashed on the first login attempt. Now I am getting an error message stating that password does not match login id. (The login and password fields are stored on my computer and automatically entered into the fields.) The level of incompetence is beginning to become comical.

That's exactly what happened to me this am. I kept trying and it locked me out & forced a password change. (I had to answer the security question in order to change the password.)  i completely closed out of the page after changing the pwd. Opened a new studentscore sign in page. Tried the user name & new pwd & it just downloaded the report. Signin page did not change at all. Didn't go to his account or put up any error message or other verbiage.

Maybe you could try that?  And check your downloads folder to see if anything magically appears? 

It's clearly website issues since so many issues/solutions are not reproducible.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Well...the latest here when I tried is that the site is:  temporarily unavailable.  I have just given up.  I know that if he was a junior this year I would really be going crazy!  Too bad they are the only game in town, and it surely shows why they can get away with this.  Good luck to the rest of you!

• Like 1

Finally got DD scores.  We are pleased.  While there is room for improvement, and dd is not likely to be a NMF, her scores are strong. The math score is higher than we expected seeing that she has not completed Algebra 1 yet (shh ... don't tell anyone.)  She will complete Algebra 1 in a couple weeks and Geometry by the end of the summer.  We will probably start Algebra 2 right after Algebra 1 and have her do it concurrently with Geometry so that she will be ready for AP Physics 1 next fall.  

• Like 1

Just a thanks to everyone who posted suggestions for getting into our kids' score reports.  We were having the same problems mentioned in this thread, and like many here, I'm not sure which suggestion did the trick, but after many frustrating failures suddenly before my wondering eyes there appeared my kid's scores.  I think one key may have been the idea of going to My Plan and updating the school info there.  I had to choose My State Home School, but hadn't chosen it before because it had a street address (not ours) associated with it, so I thought it must not be for all homeschoolers from our state.  That got me (finally) past the first annoying page, and then it said it couldn't find her scores, so we searched by student ID number (the school where she took the test had assigned her her very first student ID number!).  That also didn't work, but as suggested here I just kept logging out, logging in, and trying various options, and all of a sudden the scores were in front of me at some point.  It was kind of surreal and I have trouble reconstructing how it went, but I can add to the voices that say keep trying the ideas on this thread.  Over and over.  Sigh.

• Like 1

This is driving me batty!  Thanks to the posts here, I was able to at least get our school updated correctly, using the MY PLAN, UPDATE MY INFO, and state code working to get homeschool to come up as an option.  Unfortunately, like many but not all of you, I then get to the page that says there are no scores and to ADD YOUR SCORES.  This link takes me to the page that requires the access code.  So I've made progress, but still have NO scores.  This is crazy!!!

Thanks to all who helped me get this far!

• Like 1

This is driving me batty!  Thanks to the posts here, I was able to at least get our school updated correctly, using the MY PLAN, UPDATE MY INFO, and state code working to get homeschool to come up as an option.  Unfortunately, like many but not all of you, I then get to the page that says there are no scores and to ADD YOUR SCORES.  This link takes me to the page that requires the access code.  So I've made progress, but still have NO scores.  This is crazy!!!

Thanks to all who helped me get this far!

I don't know if this will help or add to the frustration, but I got to the same place, logged out, logged back in later, and Voila!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you; what a mess!

It puts us into a horrible loop. It says he didn't take a test, so we go to add scores to enter additional information, and then tells us he has a second account, which we have to log into.

We try recovering the username, but the only email it accepts is the one connected to the account we sign in from. I sent an email, and we have tried calling.

this is happening to us also. called college board thur lady said we'd get email with access code never came. called high school where he's part time enrolled and counselor said ds is not on her list. So ridiculous. sent emails and no response when trying to call again on friday. aaahh. 

OMG you guys are amazing. After reading through what worked is in his college board account he didn't have a high school listed. So I added the one where he's part time enrolled and took the test and scores popped up. Should have read these boards on Thur, would have saved me endless phone calls and frustration.

• Like 2

to identify areas to improve for possible merit scholarships 

^This^

Or even to determine how possible that is.

I also used them to gain entry for my oldest son into AP English and AP Physics courses for next year, and for DD to gain entry to either AP Statistics or Precalculus, possibly an AP Science IF they offer something she's interested in taking next year.  Neither have had English, Science, or math classes at the school, and if they are going to continue to go part time, they need some core courses on their days at school to balance the load.  The high ACT and PSAT scores were just what we needed.

Beyond that, we identified areas ds needs to learn, and areas dd needs to work on.  

I am trying to get my son's scores online.  I can log in to his account and see last years scores.  When  I click "add scores" it asks me for his test information or student id.  Does anyone know what to put there?  I have tried calling collegeboard but can't get through.  

We never got an email with a code or anything.  Probably because he did not put his email address on the form, but he also did not put it last year and those scores are online.

My sons did put an email address on their forms, but did not receive any emails from the CB about the PSAT, so that might not be the problem.  My boys did not have a student id since they're not at a school, so I don't think you need that. From all the people who've had trouble accessing scores, it looks like the CB site is just having a lot of problems.  It took me  two calls to the CB and multiple tries over two days for me to get my sons' score reports.

What worked for me for one son was to get his account page to finally accept our state home school code or the generic national home school code (970000).  But it wasn't until I was talking to a CB support person who could enter the code on his end that it "took." 

What worked for my other son was to set up his account (but you already have that for your son), and then log in/log out multiple times. On one attempt to log in, his score report got downloaded w/out my doing anything other than logging in.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

I am trying to get my son's scores online.  I can log in to his account and see last years scores.  When  I click "add scores" it asks me for his test information or student id.  Does anyone know what to put there?  I have tried calling collegeboard but can't get through.  

We never got an email with a code or anything.  Probably because he did not put his email address on the form, but he also did not put it last year and those scores are online.

I am sorry. There are many of us here who were having the same problem. It appears that the CB is not finished scoring this year's PSAT and are releasing the results in batches. This he;ps to explain why some of us had scores magically appear more than a day after they were promised. There is a thread on college confidential - there are entire schools who have not yet received scores.

The College Board really bungled this. Let's hope the launch of the new SAT goes better than the launch of the PSAT. What a disaster..

• Like 1

Yvonne and I were posting at the same time. My son already had an account with the CB, so there was nothing that needed to be done since he was already registered as a homeschooler. When I first logged in to his account on Thursday morning, the only scores available were for 2014. At some point during the day, he had a notice on his screen that if he didn't see his most recent scores, to hit the "add scores" icon. When I did that, the screen asked for an access code that he didn't have. Late Friday afternoon, his scores appeared - no access code or student id was needed.

My guess is that there is nothing you can do on your end.

I am sorry. There are many of us here who were having the same problem. It appears that the CB is not finished scoring this year's PSAT and are releasing the results in batches. This he;ps to explain why some of us had scores magically appear more than a day after they were promised. There is a thread on college confidential - there are entire schools who have not yet received scores.

The College Board really bungled this. Let's hope the launch of the new SAT goes better than the launch of the PSAT. What a disaster..

Oh, wow.  This is great information; thanks for posting!

Could someone explain to me what the National Merit cutoff score means. What happens if you score above that cutoff score?

There are some posts in this thread that explain it.  And here.

Here's the official National Merit site.

(I'd make a stab at answering, but others are more knowledgeable about it than I. :) )

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Anyone else still waiting?  I have been given such the runaround and still after 4 hours + on the phone and days of promises...no one is able to help me.  There needs to be a competitor with some competition and then maybe we wouldn't have these situations.  Makes me lose all hope in these tests!  The incompetency!!!  My patience is about out!  :mad:

• Like 1

Guest Jesse the Red

We are still waiting for our scores.  The Guidance counselor at the school where my son took the tests sent us an e-mail with this information yesterday: "This morning, 1/11/16, we were finally able to reach a Supervisor at the College Board regarding our online score reports for the PSAT.  Unfortunately, due to the incredibly large volume of students who took the PSAT this year (the largest number in the history of the exam), the College Board has been unable to make all student scores available at this juncture.  As a function of the overwhelming number of test takers, the PSAT scores for our students are not yet available to anyone, but we've been assured that they will be given priority and hopefully be processed and released by the end of this week."

Our school still can't get their records either.  The testing coordinator gets stuck on the "enter access" number page, but was never given an access number.  When she got hold of College Board, they told her they're no longer using access numbers.  He tried to help her access our scores - to no avail.  We're supposed to get a call back from someone in 3-5 days...  :glare:

I shared the student score link someone posted here.  Perhaps students can access their own scores.  Can't hurt.  Might help.

My ds is still waiting for scores too. The public school where he attends part time says they don't have scores or access codes yet. I just got off the phone with the college board and apparently he didn't get emailed an access code because both his email and his date of birth were incorrect. The email is now fixed, but we have to send photos of IDs with the date of birth to fix that. The guy thought it would take at least 5 days to process the change, so we may be waiting a long time for scores!

DS and I just had a talk about the importance of entering information carefully...

Many scholarships I have looked at want over 1300 on the SAT (1310 for example).  Is that based on the old numbers or the new numbers?

I'm so confused!!!

The current SAT (the last testing date is this month) has a maximum point value of 2400 - 800 Math, 800 Reading, and 800 Writing. However, many colleges never paid attention to the writing score and determined scholarships on the combined Reading and Math scores achieved in a single sitting.

My guess is that the 1300 score is needed on the current SAT using the Math and Reading subscores.

• Like 1

The current SAT (the last testing date is this month) has a maximum point value of 2400 - 800 Math, 800 Reading, and 800 Writing. However, many colleges never paid attention to the writing score and determined scholarships on the combined Reading and Math scores achieved in a single sitting.

My guess is that the 1300 score is needed on the current SAT using the Math and Reading subscores.

I agree with this. When my oldest dd was applying a few years ago, even with the three scores, they were mostly interested in seeing above a 1200 in the math and reading sections.

Dd only considered schools that offered her very specific, sort of unusual major, and at every school she could get the top merit scholarship (not full scholarship) with the math and reading scores over 1200, from what I remember. They were private colleges with lots of money to give. I think it's something for people to consider, many people would write off schools with high price tags but they sometimes offer so much that it brings the price down into a much more affordable range, especially considering we live in an area where the public colleges are also very pricey.

It was a huge relief to me that my tenth grader got scores indicating that scholarships were a very good possibility.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 2

It is not very common for homeschoolers to take the PSAT here where I live, so I don't really feel there is anyone I can ask for advice locally. My dd is in 10th grade this year. She did the PSAT as a practice this year. We didn't do any more prep than taking the practice test available on-line and then going through the ones she missed. She got an overall score of 211. I looked at the cut-off score for our state and she was several points above that. She got almost full points for the English sections - the ones she missed were mostly in the math section and were the advanced Alg ones. She is taking Alg 2 this year. I was really pleased with her score and it seems like she should do it again next year as she will hopefully improve with exposure to more math and we can do some prep also. However I don't really know what you would expect a junior to score. Is it necessary to score a lot above the cut-off score in order to go forward to the next level and maybe be eligible for scholarships? Is it usual for the scores to go up when you take it as a junior or should I expect her score to be similar next year? Thanks for any advice you can give me. I feel excited for her, but I don't really know if I should lol. I did not go to school in this country so am not really familiar with the system.

The College Board has published the percentile breakdowns for the Selection Index (SI). The SI is what National Merit uses to determine National Merit. The Commended cut-off is usually at the 96%. The Semi-finalist cut-off depends on your state of residence.

Here is the breakdown:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/2015-psat-nmsqt-understanding-scores.pdf

• Like 2

It is not very common for homeschoolers to take the PSAT here where I live, so I don't really feel there is anyone I can ask for advice locally. My dd is in 10th grade this year. She did the PSAT as a practice this year. We didn't do any more prep than taking the practice test available on-line and then going through the ones she missed. She got an overall score of 211. I looked at the cut-off score for our state and she was several points above that. She got almost full points for the English sections - the ones she missed were mostly in the math section and were the advanced Alg ones. She is taking Alg 2 this year. I was really pleased with her score and it seems like she should do it again next year as she will hopefully improve with exposure to more math and we can do some prep also. However I don't really know what you would expect a junior to score. Is it necessary to score a lot above the cut-off score in order to go forward to the next level and maybe be eligible for scholarships? Is it usual for the scores to go up when you take it as a junior or should I expect her score to be similar next year? Thanks for any advice you can give me. I feel excited for her, but I don't really know if I should lol. I did not go to school in this country so am not really familiar with the system.

That is an excellent score and based on the released SI's would qualify for National Merit Semi-Finalist in many states. Considering your D has not had all of the math tested on the PSAT, I would expect her score to be even higher next year.

• Like 3

That is an excellent score and based on the released SI's would qualify for National Merit Semi-Finalist in many states. Considering your D has not had all of the math tested on the PSAT, I would expect her score to be even higher next year.

Thank you for your reply and the link to the explanatory information. 

Are your kids getting lots of emails from colleges all of a sudden? Ds has received at least a dozen starting some time yesterday. I'm guessing it must be from the PSAT based on the timing (and at least one mentioned the PSAT in the message), but he thinks he checked a box NOT to share his info. Do they honor those requests?

He took the SAT in December and the ACT last June, but this is the first time he's received these communications.