Menu

I'm getting repped, but my rep count isn't going up...

DB in NJ

It went up 3 points. Did they change how much the rep is worth? You should be worth 7, not 3.

I must've missed something....

For example: I've been repped by about 8 people in the last 2 days. My rep has only gone up (before today) about 4 points -- I wish I had written the numbers down. Now I'm forgetting exactly what they were. Only one was from someone with fewer than 50, the rest were from people with anywhere from 3 to a gazillion rep points.

:confused:

Are they reps from folks with less than 5o posts/ Those wouldn't count. I will rep you - see if the count goes up (and let me know how many rep I am worth as I am not sure). Then if you WANT to rep me back i will see if my rep count stays stagnant or moves!

I don't have any rep yet; I'll have some later on today and I'll get ya then.

Was there a post or anything talking about the changes? If so, do you have a link?

:( You are not going to like this:

post by SWB

Yes, we upped the number of rep points needed to give positive rep.

Why?

Because there are a group of posters who rep each other regularly for random reasons simply to boost their rep power, and simply to poke a thumb in the eye of the rep system, and that small clique had gotten too much rep power.

This annoys me because I had hoped that the rep system would serve a useful purpose on the sale and swap board. Which it does, and if we turn it off HERE we have to turn it off across the forums. So far I think that its usefulness on the sale and swap sections of the boards outweighs its abuse elsewhere.

I'm guessing that, ultimately, this small and determined group of posters will force us to remove the system from the entire forum, which is too bad for those of you who might have found it useful in evaluating the trustworthiness of vendors on the board. Sometimes good intentions are, in fact, overwhelmed by determined resistance.

I have to say that viewing the rep comments has opened my eyes to the ways in which women feel desperate for approval. Posters complain to us, or publicly on the boards, if they have receive one negative rep point--even if they've received fifty or more positive rep points for the same post.

In fact, posters quite often complain about receiving negative rep points when they haven't gotten a single negative rep at all.

We kind of scratch our heads over this. The comments are private, after all; so are the points. No one sees them except the person to whom they're directed.

I almost think there's a book in this somewhere. (Okay, before you all send me messages, I'm not completely serious. But...almost.)

SWB

more in this thread.

This annoys me because I had hoped that the rep system would serve a useful purpose on the sale and swap board. Which it does, and if we turn it off HERE we have to turn it off across the forums. So far I think that its usefulness on the sale and swap sections of the boards outweighs its abuse elsewhere.

This is the part that confuses me. If the rep system is abused and dysfunctional (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't, and every reason to believe that it is), then I don't understand why it hasn't been disabled if the main purpose was to be useful on the Sale and Swap board.

It doesn't seem to me that the rep system has ever had any chance of success as a "ratings system" on that board, not before the recent changes and certainly not now. How could anyone who was *not* a dealer have so many transactions/posts that they would actually start earning additional squares?

While I generally lean toward the sarcastic, that isn't the case here. I'm truly curious how this was supposed to work as a ratings system for the Sale and Swap board when so many posts/rep points were required to make any difference at all -- and now even more is required.