Menu

Casserole suggestions for extremely picky eater

trulycrabby

A friend of mine is having a hysterectomy next week, and I want to give her a few casseroles that are heat and eat. Her son is an extremely picky eater and subsists on chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, spagetti, and corn dogs and a few other things.

I an taking over a ziti casserole and a couple of cheese quiches, but would like suggestions for another pasta casserole, perhaps with an alfredo sauce, which he says he likes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by trulycrabby

I would make two homemade pizzas and put them in the fridge. My boys would eat them in a day and a half. And if he eats alfredo sauce, then baked ziti with alfredo sauce to go along with the one made with red sauce.  Make red and a white and call it good .  If he's that picky then he is prob used to eating a limited variety.

Picky eaters will not eat casseroles. Maybe macaroni and cheese. But honestly, as a child, I wouldn't have eaten mac and cheese from a stranger. That would have been way too iffy.

In a way, picky eaters are easier to feed when you're not worried about feeding everyone. You just get them the three things they eat and call it a day.

• Like 5

You folks are awesome; have I told you all that lately? :hurray:

I guess I was thinking ziti was a casserole, which he likes and will eat. He will eat the quiche, and will eat the ziti with white sauce that red squirrel suggested.

He will not eat beef, except as a hamburger, will eat chicken, will not eat anything resembling a vegetable, loves cheese, and that's about it.

I really have no idea how to make a homemade pizza, so any suggestions regarding crust would be appreciated.

Also, suggestions for either an easy homemade alfredo sauce or a good jarred one would be even better. :o

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

I agree with bringing chicken nuggets (or even corn dogs)- frozen ones in particular. I also agree (being a formerly picky eater) that a casserole might be "unsafe" and have too many variables for his liking.I used to feel overwhelmed and embarrassed when people would bring up my pickiness, so he might feel very appreciative if you take him into account. They could just throw some nuggets in the oven with the other things you send.

You sound like a sweet, kind friend. :-)

• Like 1

Usually in the section of the store with the spaghetti sauces are also little boxes or bags (depends on the brand) of pizza mix. Just add water, shape into a pizza shape.

Well, actually, that'll just be a floppy mess if you plan on delivering it raw.

So...a Boboli might do the trick.

But honestly, as a picky eater and a mother of a picky eater, just get him a frozen pizza and call it a day. It's very stressful to picky eaters when they have to turn down food they don't/can't eat. They don't do it to be mean. Just get the kid what he likes and let everyone else eat the casseroles.

Casseroles are the worst. Sometimes I feel myself unintentionally retch if I see certain casseroles at things like a church dinner. I don't know what it is, but something about all the food mushed together plus me now knowing exactly what's in there, literally turns my stomach.

Boboli: in the bread aisle at my store. http://www.boboli.com

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

My husband really likes "Nacho Bake." In an 8 quart casserole dutch oven layer 2 inches of stale tortilla chips. Pour in a layer of cheapo salsa. Add one can of chili beans, black beans, or cheapo chili. Shredded chicken or ground beef next. A two inch layer of chips. Top with salsa and shredded cheese. Bake in the oven for thirty minutes at 350 to heat it through. Super simple and includes the word Nacho in the titke. My picky eater is happy!

• Like 1

I had that very picky eater. I agree to just cook main meals for your friend and the rest of her family. She'll already have food for the picky eater on hand, and he'll do better having his usual food while their lives are being disrupted.

He may be less picky on breakfast items, muffins, desserts, snacks, etc., and if I wanted to do something homemade to include him, I'd put my efforts there.

• Like 2

Usually in the section of the store with the spaghetti sauces are also little boxes or bags (depends on the brand) of pizza mix. Just add water, shape into a pizza shape.

Well, actually, that'll just be a floppy mess if you plan on delivering it raw.

So...a Boboli might do the trick.

But honestly, as a picky eater and a mother of a picky eater, just get him a frozen pizza and call it a day. It's very stressful to picky eaters when they have to turn down food they don't/can't eat. They don't do it to be mean. Just get the kid what he likes and let everyone else eat the casseroles.

Casseroles are the worst. Sometimes I feel myself unintentionally retch if I see certain casseroles at things like a church dinner. I don't know what it is, but something about all the food mushed together plus me now knowing exactly what's in there, literally turns my stomach.

Boboli: in the bread aisle at my store. http://www.boboli.com

Yeah I have one very picky eater and one who will eat nearly anything.  The one that will eat nearly anything is willing to try anything, but he rarely likes casseroles.  I think he too is just turned off by stuff all mushed together. 

It's kind of a bummer because casseroles are so easy. 

• Like 1

This is going to sound weird, possibly lame, but this thread brought a tear to my eye today.  It's so nice to have a group of people who understand picky eaters and what it's like for moms who love them.  LOL!

You just get them the three things they eat and call it a day.   Classic.  Yes!   :laugh:

• Like 2

This is going to sound weird, possibly lame, but this thread brought a tear to my eye today. It's so nice to have a group of people who understand picky eaters and what it's like for moms who love them. LOL!

You just get them the three things they eat and call it a day. Classic. Yes! :laugh:

:grouphug: :grouphug :grouphug:

This has been a real fun thread for me too, and I have learned a lot! :)