Menu

Math: SAT reasoning versus SAT subject

cave canem

My student has very lopsided scores:  CR and W in the 99th percentile and math hundreds of points lower.  Repeating the test has not helped.

She would like to major in a soft science.  (She has been admitted to one school as a bio major.  I was surprised! that her math score didn't hurt.)  

For the more selective schools she will apply to, would taking the SAT 2 in math help her in admissions?  I think she can do better with that than with the reasoning test.

The ACT testing schedule is not going to work for us.

I know that this should have been figured out much earlier, but with her study abroad and a serious family crisis, things just got away from her.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Lee in New England

If your daughter has already applied, will the schools have time to get the score before they make a decision?  (Do the schools recommend SAT subject tests be taken?)  If yes, I'd suggest having your daughter take a practice test.  From that you will probably get an idea of what score she might obtain.  Then you have more data on which to base your decision.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1