Menu

What do you think about this situation?

A homeschooling mom has an 11 year old son who is a poor reader.  She suspects he has dyslexia, but he has never been formally diagnosed.  He reads at about a 2nd or 3rd grade level.  She doesn't really push him to advance his reading skills because the more she pushes, the more he hates reading.  He is very resistent to any kind of reading instruction from his mom.  He currently doesn't really enjoy reading and doesn't read much for fun, probably because it's hard for him.  She does require him to do some silent reading on most days though.  He doesn't have any other required reading for school as in he doesn't have reading for science, history etc.

Do you think this is okay?  I mean, is it really a problem that he is behind in his reading skills?  Is it a big deal?  Will he just eventually catch up on his own if he just keeps practicing?

Thanks!

Edited by MamaHappy

A homeschooling mom has an 11 year old son who is a poor reader.  She suspects he has dyslexia, but he has never been formally diagnosed.  He reads at about a 2nd or 3rd grade level.  She doesn't really push him to advance his reading skills because the more she pushes, the more he hates reading.  He is very resistent to any kind of reading instruction from his mom.  He currently doesn't really enjoy reading and doesn't read much for fun, probably because it's hard for him.  She does require him to do some silent reading on most days though.

Do you think this is okay?  I mean, is it really a problem that he is behind in his reading skills?  Is it a big deal?  Will he just eventually catch up on his own if he just keeps practicing?

It could be a big deal if he does indeed have dyslexia, because in that case he will NOT just "catch up" on his own by practicing, but would require systematic instruction tailored to students with dyslexia. Which means, if the mom already suspects it, she should get him tested.

Reading silently can be good for kids who read well. However, If I suspected a reading problem in a child, I would not just hand him a book to read silently, but make him read aloud so I can evaluate his reading and help with comprehension. What does the mom do to ensure that the child actually reads and comprehends the books?

It is fairly common, especially  for boys, not to read for fun. That would be nice, but is not necessary, and I would not require or expect that.

The reading problems would concern me because in the middle grades a larger portion of all content subjects will become book based. So his reading problems will radiate into all other subjects, unless the mom puts a lot of effort into accommodating his lack of reading ability.

ETA: It would be important to know what kind of reading instruction the child has received. If he has never been properly taught, the lack of reading skills can simply be a consequence of that. If he has been through a thorough phonics program and a lot of effort has been spent to get him to where he currently is, an evaluation might be prudent.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

If it is your son, then I think  you need to have him tested.  For his own sake as well as yours.  So you can know exactly what the problem is, if there is one.  If it isn't your son, well, unless you are specifically asked and are free to make the above argument, what can you do?  Not really your call, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

At eleven, he would be in fifth or sixth grade, right?  If a child of that age is reading only at a second or third grade level, he needs to be evaluated and to start working with a trained instructor, ASAP.  As Regentrude said, schoolwork is only going to get harder.  There are a number of programs that can help kids with reading skills; some are better suited to addressing problems caused by dyslexia than others.  Orton-Gillingham and Barton are the ones that come to mind.  There are often private tutors/instructors who teach using those methods.  His mom's approach may have worked for her other dc, but it doesn't work for this child.  He needs help from someone else.  Getting that help doesn't mean she failed in teaching him; it just means he needs a different method of instruction that she doesn't know how to provide.  Help her see that so her ds can achieve!  Kids with dyslexia tend to be very bright, but not being able to read makes them feel stupid. Better to address the problem now before all the adolescent hormones come into play, KWIM?

• Like 2

There is a big difference between an "early 2nd grade level" and a "late 3rd grade level", and I'd be concerned if he's reading at the former level, but less worried if he's reading at the latter. Of course, your definition of reading levels may be different from mine, and even then, you're just guessing at his reading level, so who knows.

Just for some examples:

http://readingwithbean.com/book-series-level/

Books at the level of the Little Bear series would probably be painful to be stuck with if you're 11 and that's the best you can do. Whereas the Time Warp Trio books are not too horrible... ideally at 11 a kid would be able to read something harder than that, but I'd be more inclined to believe he might make progress without remediation if he's at Time Warp Trio type books than if he's at Little Bear type books. At Little Bear, I'd really hope his parents would have him evaluated and/or give intensive reading instruction - no matter whether he hates it or not. It's not like he likes it currently anyway.

FWIW, I liked "Toe by Toe" as far as reading instruction/remediation goes - that said, I'm not an expert.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

This is okay if:

-the parent has no access to remedial reading programs in the area.

-the parent has no access to testing.

-the parent really believes that an illiterate child is better off than one who has these resources available to him, even if it means a year of public school to get him in with those resources.

Otherwise, no, not okay.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

I have known more than one family who resisted testing, saying they wouldn't saddle their kid with a label or that they would figure it out as they go along. It made me really, really angry in each case, because the kid was definitely negatively impacted by not having appropriate interventions. As in, major, lifelong, negative repercussions. In the families I knew, the kid was only able to remain happy at home. Emerging into the teen and adult years, each of these kids had a rude awakening. It was very, very hard to watch.

There are sooooooooo many reasons why there could be reading difficulties. Dyslexia is only one possibility. For example, a friend of mine had a son who really struggled with hyper behavior and hated school. They perceived him as not liking to read. They wondered about ADHD. Turns out the kid had a visual tracking issue. Vision therapy coupled with some specialized teaching transformed this kid. He is a teenager now, and he is doing great. He is academically strong and plays in a garage band with friends.

Bottom line--your friend should do whatever it takes to get the evaluations. Get the testing. There is a real possibility that there is something that can be fixed or helped in some way. The earlier the interventions, the better the outcome. Knowing exactly what the problem is provides tools to fix or help the problem. 

• Like 1

Does he comprehend when he reads silently?   

I have a son with dyslexia who can read and comprehend well when he reads silently, but he is doesn't sound great when reading aloud.  He can read aloud, but his reading does not flow smoothly, if that makes sense.  The way he reads aloud probably makes him sound like he can't read well.

From time to time I have him read aloud for diction more than anything,  because there are occasions when people have to read aloud in a public setting, but really, it's not that common after school age. 

My son likes to read, though, and he reads a lot, just not aloud.  So I would say the key issue is whether or not the child in question has reasonable comprehension and speed.