Menu

More reading Q's: After reading the latest reading post, I'm curious...

Sue G in PA

how much time do your dc read total each day? Do you require a "school related" book PLUS pleasure reading each day? Do you make pleasure reading a personal choice (only if they want to) or require it each day? My dd11 reads both for school and for pleasure (she loves to read). Ds9 would hardly ever read for pleasure unless it were his ONLY option! Ds8 is the same. They are both more active and would rather be outside skating, riding bikes, play basketball, etc. Ds6 has his moments when he sits down independently w/ a book. Just curious as I re-evaluate our school day and activities. I'm thinking about requiring 30min. pleasure reading before bed for all OR listening to a read-aloud.

With my older son, I always assigned a certain amount of reading time. As he got into logic stage, he also had assigned readings to do in history and science. It took forever for him to get to the point of actually picking up books to read on his own, just for his own pleasure (but he DOES do it now, as a teen - YEAH!)

While this will be the same for my younger son, I don't really have to assign a certain amount of time for him to read. He really is more of a natural reader and also reads VERY quickly (which still amazes me). He easily covers all the books I have for him to read in a week - sometimes even before the week's half over, so I'll pull more.... So if you have an idea of what you'd like for your children to read each week, and they're generally able to get through all that, then I think you're pretty well set without assigning specific reading "time".

If you're trying to build the habit/love of reading for a lifetime reader and they don't seem to fall into that naturally, then I think it is a good idea to set reading time.

Regena

I don't require reading for pleasure.Everyone in my house does it.I tell my dh that's one of the reasons I decided to marry him.I hadn't met too many men before him who actually read books for fun.I knew that when we had children he'd encourage them to read for pleasure too.

On days when we are home (usually W, Th, F), we have a "rest hour" and then a "reading hour" in the afternoons. The children look forward to and ask for it. Pleasure reading has been on the schedule since they could read a book on their own, so they have grown up with it and consider it "normal." They would probably rebel if I took it out of the schedule! We are big readers, and I am always seen with a stack of books.

They usually have free reign in what they read, although I keep the quality of choices in our bookshelves high (very little twaddle). For example, some of the Sonlight books I have bought just as nice chapter books to read.

Sometimes I assign books for history. They are usually reluctant to set aside their current book, but they are enthusiastic about the history books after they get into them. I normally have them come back and report for a little while during school about the book. They do very well with narration so I'm not really formal about this anymore: Just come back and share what the book was about and what you liked best. Oh, and I allow the children to read during lunch most days (unless we are in a big hurry).

I read to the boys at breakast and lunch (I have young ones so they are a captive audience). While my ds6 is working independently I read to my 2 little ones for as long as they'll let me, usually about 30 minutes. Then ds6 and I read for 30-45 minutes every afternoon. About half of that is me reading to him and the other is him reading to me. He also reads a book or two I choose for him each morning independently and we discuss it - just to check for comprehension. We have more reading that goes along with history and science. Then he goes to bed each evening at 7:30 and reads until 8:30. He's done that since he was 5.

When he was younger we tracked his time reading but now it's such a habit that I don't need to do that. It's just what we do! :)

Reading is my single most favorite thing I do in a day with my boys.

I'm thinking about requiring 30min. pleasure reading before bed for all OR listening to a read-aloud.

We have made reading a pre-bed reward. If you get into your bed on time you get a reading light and you get to read for a set period of time. That sounds very rigid, but it is far from that. LOL They really look forward to that time because they are up later and occupied in bed. It is a treat, :) We moms have to be a bit "tricky" with our less-than-enthusiastic readers. My two oldest read for pleasure and would do so for hours if let them so it is not required.

I do have to "force" my 7yodd to read during the day and I have to sit with her when she does. But at night, if she gets the reading light, it is a big deal and she will read. It is kind of funny to me - and all psychological I guess! Whatever it is, it works. :)

Warmly,

Kate

I require reading as part of school everyday...I pick out a bunch of books from the library every week and leave them in a basket for her to choose during her reading time. Also, we have rest time in the afternoon and my dd has to spend 30 minutes reading whatever she chooses...(she ususally spends the whole hour and then some).

My daughter has been a pretty willing reader since the beginning but what really made her reading take off was allowing her to read at night. We pretty much let her read as long as she wants at bedtime (in her room of course)...and she often reads for over an hour. If she doesn't want to read then she has to turn of her light and go to bed...

Reading is still not something that the boys think to do on their own so we require 30 minutes in the evening from an approved book that is not school related. They never complain about having to do it and the often read beyond the 30 minute minimum but they need the reminder to do it. In addition to the free reading time in the evening, the start the day with 30 minutes of school reading and we do at least 30 minutes of a read aloud book in the afternoon or during lunch. The little ones each get to choose a book for bedtime read alouds.

I allow forty to fifty minutes of 'free' reading. I always ask what they are reading however and encourage them to read a book they haven't read before. I tend to choose the books based on recommendations and what they already enjoy. My son usually reads historical fiction for a further forty minutes or so that I have chosen.

I read them a chapter of a bedtime story at night (about an hour). They then read to themselves (anything they like) before going to sleep.

On top of this they read in their free time. They usually choose to read by themselves. I time table reading into the schedule because I found ds wouldn't read otherwise. The more I schedule the more he actually reads in his free time. He just needs reminded that books are there.

Dd reads alot more than most kids. Once she got to fluency last year, her reading just took off, and her pleasure increased dramatically. I'd say she reads maybe 3 or even 4 hours a day, most days. I read to her about 30 mins or more a day (we don't keep track) out of all kinds of books--right now we have The Borrowers Afield and Castle Diary going. Of course, we read in all subjects, too, during the school day. On her own time, I let her choose her own reading--she told me last week that she had picked up the Little House books again--she's reading them in order, and right now she's in the middle of Little Town on the Prairie, if that tells you anything. She isn't attracted to "twaddle," except Magic Treehouse, which may be twaddle but has some redeeming value, imo! lol

I had to laugh about the various "let them read at night before bed" posters. That's dd! Last year, I gave her a book light, and told her she could go to her room and read for half an hour before bed (of course, I moved her bedtime up half an hour, too, so she wouldn't be staying up later). She just loved this. Now, she reads so much that it's not a treat anymore.But, if we are watching something I deem inappropriate for her on tv at 8:00, she goes upstairs. If not, she may choose to watch with us.