Menu

Don't do what I did (re: Duke TIP)

Trying to become less of a lurker here.  :001_unsure:

My son participated in the Duke TIP Summer Studies last year and it was a terrific experience. He's hoping to go again this year and I'm hoping to find a giant bag of money in our front yard.

Here is the dumb thing I did (well, one of many dumb things):

I've never given any of my kids standardized tests. We live in Texas and it is not required that we do so. Therefore, when my son took the SAT, he'd never taken a standardized test before. 

When he got his scores, I did not download them from the College Board site right away. I missed the part where they're deleted at the end of the school year. (I believe this is NOT the case for ACT scores, fwiw.)

Now, he's interested in applying to a magnet program at one of the local high schools. We haven't made up our mind about high school yet - my current preference is that he continue to homeschool, but I want to provide him with options. And guess who has no evidence of her child's qualifications for said program? This gal.

So I'm hoping that I can say, "look, he attended the summer studies program, so obviously he is intelligent," and that will somehow magically be accepted as proof of smarts. I don't want to be perceived as trying to waltz in there with my homeschooling self and saying "I don't need to conform to your requirements because my child is SPECIAL." We didn't realize the applications were due so soon - tomorrow is the deadline. So it all may be moot at this point.

The lesson here is: download the SAT scores right away! Don't delay! 

I'm very impressed with Duke TIP! I submitted a plea via their contact form over the Thanksgiving break, and figured it would be a few days before I would hear back from them. I had a reply in my inbox this morning!

They do keep the scores on file, and they'll be sending me a copy in the mail. Such a relief!

Semi-related: my son has decided he wants to try to increase his math score so he can apply to the upper-level science classes at Summer Studies, so he is hopefully taking the SAT again this Saturday. Since this was a last-minute thing, he's on the waitlist - hoping he'll be able to actually take the test.

Anyway, they clarified for me at TIP that they do *not* take the highest individual scores from each section, if the child takes the test in both 7th and 8th grade. The 8th grade scores are considered distinct from the 7th grade scores. So if he goes down in one area, they aren't going to say "oh, well, his CR was this higher score last time, so we'll count that." I'm pretty sure that when colleges look at the scores, they take the highest score from each section across however many times the test was taken. I may be misremembering, though - it's been a few aeons since I took the test myself!

• Like 1

Anyway, they clarified for me at TIP that they do *not* take the highest individual scores from each section, if the child takes the test in both 7th and 8th grade. The 8th grade scores are considered distinct from the 7th grade scores. So if he goes down in one area, they aren't going to say "oh, well, his CR was this higher score last time, so we'll count that." I'm pretty sure that when colleges look at the scores, they take the highest score from each section across however many times the test was taken. I may be misremembering, though - it's been a few aeons since I took the test myself!

That is known as superscoring, and some colleges do it but many do not.