Menu

Eye Color in (White) Babies (ventish JAWM)

Ginevra

I dated a guy in high school who had red hair and, as I used to say, red eyes. :) His eyes were brown, but somewhat coppery; a medium warm brown. It was really quite gorgeous.

Color is funny. People would have said I had red hair and green eyes as a baby. Yet in some pictures, my hair and eyes look like exactly the same color - a kind of medium brown.

• Like 1

I thought all white kids were born with blue eyes, well except the ones with turquoise eyes.  Is that a myth?  

My African American son son was born with dark blue eyes, pale skin, and straight (albeit not blonde hair).  Now he's got deep brown eyes, skin the color of milk chocolate, and kinky dark brown to the point it looks black hair.

Definitely a myth!  My husband and I are both white, and my daughter's eyes were black when she was born.  As in, I couldn't differentiate her pupil from her iris, they were so dark.  They lightened up a little bit, but they're still a very dark brown.

My hair is nearly black, but two of my children are blond. I understand the genetics behind it, but there is something in me that kind of reacted in shock when my first blond son was born--sort of "how did that child come from me?"

I'm still waiting for one as dark as me..,

Dh and I are both dark colouring. Dark brown hair. Green/Hazel eyes (me), puppy dog brown eyes (him). Our first 3 are the same, brown hair and 2/3 brown eyes with the other having my hazel.

Then we had a 4th. He is blonde and blue eyed! I was not expecting that. It is in our families but not dominant. People comment all the time, he definitely stands out in our family! He looks just like his siblings otherwise. Genetics. So weird.

• Like 1

I don't even notice people's eye color, including mine.

But to contribute to the grandparent weirdness when it comes to genetics, when I was pregnant with my oldest, my mom went out of her way to tell me that there was no history of Down Syndrome in her side of the family.  In other words, if our child was born with a birth defect, it was not her fault.  That was a weird one even for my mom.  Then, when my oldest was born and had curly hair, despite the fact that my husband and I have stick-straight hair, she insisted it came from her great-grandmother or some nonsense, completely ignoring the fact that my dad, her ex-husband and the baby's grandfather, has curly hair.  She was so intent on taking genetic credit for the good stuff and disclaiming genetic responsibility for anything negative.  What a witch.

• Like 1

If your mother meant it in the hopes that saying it out loud might make it true (because of her desire for her to look more white), I'd be kind of bugged too!  I know of two grandmothers who once got into an argument because they both insisted that their granddaughter looked exactly like their own child who was the parent. 

Hair can be interesting too.  I think it's funny when people call all my kids blondes, because though it's true that one of them is blonde, and three of them sometimes veer slightly into that category in the summertime and their hair gets somewhat bleached from the sun, one daughter is definitely brown/red.  Not a hint of blonde.  But people will even look at her and call her a blondie.  It's really auburn.

• Like 1

It's a mother or mil thing. My MIL is fixated on who looks like whom. Nobody else can see a resemblance but she does. I hope your niece and her dh don't take this as an offense and let it ride. We just roll our eyes somewhat inconspicuously and let it all wash over us and she is happy when we just don't respond.

I definitely saw that with DD's grandmothers.  Although, they were both happy.  As a baby DD looked identical to me.  So identical that there is a baby photo of each of us wearing the same outfit and it is freaky.  That made my mom happy.  DD has MIL's hair color and looks a lot like my MIL, which makes her happy.  Me too since MIL is by far DD's prettiest ancestor.  

Although I do admit to hoping DD would get my red hair since I have always loved it.  I kept insisting I saw light red in her baby wisps.  I was wrong.  

• Like 1

My mother insists that my eye color is hazel. Except, I don't have any brown in my eyes whatsoever.

When I tell her they're green, even though there may be speckles of other colors (but not brown), she insists they're hazel and that I got them from my grandfather.

I'm not sure if my grandfather really did have hazel eyes and she's misremembering the color, or whether his eyes are the same color as mine and she's calling them by the wrong color.

Either way, it does kind of bug me for some reason. You can't just change the definition of a word for giggles.

What is the definition of Hazel? I always thought that was the eye color of Not Sure.

A mix of colors and changeable.

Hazel brown...their eyes occasionally look forest green, because they actual do have both brown and green in their iris.

My eyes are hazel green and fall in between what is called chartreuse and amber. I have green and yellow. My eyes change color based on emotions and look different based on lighting and surrounding colors (makeup, clothes).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/ea/23/eaea232f0c14366575da7619f119db70.jpg

Edited by mommaduck
  • Like 2

It's probably impossible for her to have blue eyes. If niece's dad is Mexican he's likely got 2 dominant brown genes for eye color so having a blue-eyed baby is unlikely. Weire that she is so obsessed over this

Not true. Both of my boys are blue eyed.

And my daughter has the cali blond hair. ;)