Menu

Eye Color in (White) Babies (ventish JAWM)

Ginevra

It's a mother or mil thing. My MIL is fixated on who looks like whom. Nobody else can see a resemblance but she does. I hope your niece and her dh don't take this as an offense and let it ride. We just roll our eyes somewhat inconspicuously and let it all wash over us and she is happy when we just don't respond.

• Like 3

On the topic of changing eye color, my eyes became more blue at some point in my adulthood. I would say hazel when I was a teen, but now I would say my eyes are blue.

Yes, eye colour can change even as an adult. My Dad's eyes are blue... but it slowly changed from a fairly deep blue to a lighter blue to almost a steel-grey with a hint of blue.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Growing up in Guatemala, it was said there that all babies' eyes were blue at first.   (I would say they were a very dark blue.)     My 4 kids all had dark blue eyes, too, though not as dark as the Latin American babies I grew up with.   Then my babies' eyes lightened over about 6 months, but they were not hugely different, still a grayish blue color.   

My 2nd child had "dark" eyes at birth that I could not find a name for the colour. It was irritating to try to answer the question, because they were to dark to say whether we had dark brown, dark blue, or dark grey. The iris was virtually indistinguishable from the pupil.

A lot of people had more ideas than I did about the colour, which usually boiled down to 'I hope they are like mine." Among family.

I finally started saying her eyes were "pewter" and too dark to tell what colour they would turn. It was better than saying, "I actually don't know." (They turned brown.)

Hmm, I have green eyes, both my parents have blue, hubby has brown, and our two brown-eyed daughters were born with brown eyes.

Is there any actual data on what percent of babies are born with blue eyes? I'd heard that before but based on admittedly personal/anecdotal experience, I'm skeptical.

Amy

And let me add the EACH CHILD gets its own copy of the "same" genes when they have the same parents, to do with whatever nature has in store for them!

Someone in my family seems to think dominant means that 2/3 (or whatever fraction is in her head) kids will show that gene. And recessive means the other 1/3 shows the results of the recessive genes. That's definitely not how it worksssssssss!!!!!

?Not what sure what you mean by this. It sounds like you are saying that each child will get the same genes from their parents; the truth is that every child will get only half of the mother's genes and half of the father's genes, and they don't each get the same half from each parent. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you, but if not the explanation below should make things more clear:

Each parent has two versions of every gene--called alleles. You got version A from your mom and version B from your dad (or you may have an A copy from each or a B copy from each, or maybe there is a C version out there and your dad gave you one of those...)

Point is, you have two alleles for each gene. 

You'll give one of those, and only one, to each child. The child will have two, because they get one from you and one from their dad. 

So if you have an A allele and a B allele, you might pass the A on to one child and the B on to another. 

So your kids could have totally different genes from each other.

Let's say Child 1 gets an A from you and an A from your spouse.

Child A then has two A's and no B's.

If your spouse also has an A and a B, the potential combinations for your children are:

AA

AB

BA

BB

there is a 1 in 4 chance for each of those combinations.

If A is dominant and B is recessive (recessive is usually written with a lowercase letter, but I'm ignoring the convention here) then AA, AB, and BA will all show up as the dominant trait--say, brown eyes (if eye color were truly this simple and brown completely dominant to blue). The probability of any given child having brown eyes then is 3/4. Only the child who gets two B copies (BB) will have the recessive trait (blue eyes in our imagined scenario) so any child has only a 1/4 chance of blue eyes. If you have four children they could, of course, happen to all get the BB genotype--probability doesn't say that can't happen, only that it is not likely to happen. Most likely the ratio will approximate the probability--if you had 40 children, approximately 30 would have brown eyes and 10 blue eyes (ridiculous example, I threw it in there because larger numbers tend to more closely approximate the theoretical probability.)

Edited by maize

?Not what sure what you mean by this. It sounds like you are saying that each child will get the same genes from their parents; the truth is that every child will get only half of the mother's genes and half of the father's genes, and they don't each get the same half from each parent. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you, but if not the explanation below should make things more clear:

Each parent has two versions of every gene--called alleles. You got version A from your mom and version B from your dad (or you may have an A copy from each or a B copy from each, or maybe there is a C version out there and your dad gave you one of those...)

Point is, you have two alleles for each gene. 

You'll give one of those, and only one, to each child. The child will have two, because they get one from you and one from their dad. 

So if you have an A allele and a B allele, you might pass the A on to one child and the B on to another. 

So your kids could have totally different genes from each other.

Let's say Child 1 gets an A from you and an A from your spouse.

Child A then has two A's and no B's.

If your spouse also has an A and a B, the potential combinations for your children are:

AA

AB

BA

BB

there is a 1 in 4 chance for each of those combinations.

If A is dominant and B is recessive (recessive is usually written with a lowercase letter, but I'm ignoring the convention here) then AA, AB, and BA will all show up as the dominant trait--say, brown eyes (if eye color were truly this simple and brown completely dominant to blue). The probability of any given child having brown eyes then is 3/4. Only the child who gets two B copies (BB) will have the recessive trait (blue eyes in our imagined scenario) so any child has only a 1/4 chance of blue eyes. If you have four children they could, of course, happen to all get the BB genotype--probability doesn't say that can't happen, only that it is not likely to happen. Most likely the ratio will approximate the probability--if you had 40 children, approximately 30 would have brown eyes and 10 blue eyes (ridiculous example, I threw it in there because larger numbers tend to more closely approximate the theoretical probability.)

Yes, I know all of this. I am saying that this person thinks that the statistical spread of any given trait is presented in each mated pair.

For example, if 1/4 of people have a third nipple, this person would expect one out of every four people in *every family* to have a third nipple.

I thought all white kids were born with blue eyes, well except the ones with turquoise eyes.  Is that a myth?  

My African American son son was born with dark blue eyes, pale skin, and straight (albeit not blonde hair).  Now he's got deep brown eyes, skin the color of milk chocolate, and kinky dark brown to the point it looks black hair.

That must be a myth. My children were born with brown eyes. They are mixed race but mostly the brown eyes came from Asia, whether 10,000 years ago via Genghis Khan or via the Native Americans... definitely born with brown eyes. Also a little bit of brown-eye came from North Africa via the Conquistadors via the Moors. Mine were brown too.

Yes, I know all of this. I am saying that this person thinks that the statistical spread of any given trait is presented in each mated pair.

For example, if 1/4 of people have a third nipple, this person would expect one out of every four people in *every family* to have a third nipple.

Got it :)

I wondered if that was what you meant, the "each child gets is own copy of the same genes" bit threw me off, since I was interpreting thet as every child getting the same genes.

Mr. Ellie's mother had red hair when she was younger, which became blonde as she aged. She had very blue eyes. Mr. Ellie's father had brown eyes (I don't know what color his hair was before it was white).

Mr. Ellie has beautiful brown eyes.

I have blue eyes. Both our daughters have beautiful brown eyes. :001_wub:

A "friend" who was into grass-fed and raw dairy said that if my daughters would drink raw  milk, their bodies would be purified and their eyes would become blue. She said this in their presence. :cursing:

• Like 1

I've found this all fascinating. I'm the only one of my siblings to have brown eyes like my mom and my siblings are all hazel like my dad. I have two brown eyed girls who were born with brown eyes. They were a bit lighter at birth but not anywhere near what I would call blue. I do get tired of the comments regarding one of my dds who is brown eyed, fair skinned, freckled, and dimpled. It seems many don't think she really 'belongs' to us. 

Edited by Joker

Without committing on the rest, yup, white babies have eyes that change. All of mine were born with blue eyes. Many of them did not change until after age five. Of my older kids (over age five) one changed to green by age two, one stayed blue, and the other five are various shades of green, but only changed when they were older, 5+. I had always been told a child's eyes cannot change after age two. Apparently an old wives' tale. :)

My kids were both blonde hair and very blue eyed babies. My eldest's hair and eyes changed at around 7 to that very common dark mousey blonde and then has slowly progressed to being deep brown and her eyes are now greeny grey. My other child has stayed blonde but his eyes changed to the same greeny grey. If asked though I'd label both of their eye colours grey. I have red hair and green eyes and my husband has black hair and bright blue eyes.

Short answer:  The brown-eyed individual has a recessive allele and a dominant allele and is brown eyed because the more dominant brown allele presents.  But the hidden recessive allele can also be passed down to the child.  In addition, eye color is governed by more than one gene, which is why we see the huge variation in eye color that we see.

So does anyone know how that happens?  I always heard brown eyes were dominant, but my brown eyed sister (mom german blue eyed, dad Cherokee brown eyed) had a blue eyed, blond haired daughter.  Obviously sister had a blue gene from mom, but why is the brown gene not dominant?

This discussion reminds me of that wacky dress discussed on here a while back. Ya'll remember? We were arguing whether it was blue with black lace or cream with gold, I think? That was crazy. :lol: Maybe the baby has magic eyes...like that dress had magic fabric.

I was thinking about that last night. :D

And oddly, I looked at my baby #3's eyes in the hospital, and I knew they were going to be blue.  They just looked different.  All the other kids have brown eyes.

All 4 of my children were born with blue eyes but I could tell who wasn't going to stay blue-eyed.  The shade of the 2 with now brown eyes was a much darker blue.  The 2 who are still blue-eyed had clear blue eyes at birth.  

Fwiw I have blue eyes & dh has brown.

• Like 1

I know this doesn't matter and I'll let it go soon, I promise, but it kinda drives me bonkers. I percieve it as a denial that my niece's dad is Mexican; that my mom wants their children to look White. My sister is pregnant again, so I think even if she stops commenting on my niece's "blue" eyes, she will pick up the same thread with the next baby. *sigh*

When you want to scream, you can always watch Louis CK's riff on being Mexican:

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/126909/Conan-Louis-CK-Mexicans/

A "friend" who was into grass-fed and raw dairy said that if my daughters would drink raw  milk, their bodies would be purified and their eyes would become blue. She said this in their presence. :cursing:

Oh. My. Goodness.

In Anatomy and Physiology in college the teacher had us to Punnet squares using our parents' eye colors and what eye colors the square indicated their kids "should" have.  My father has brown eyes so BB.  My mother has blue eyes so bb.  That means all four child squares are Bb meaning the kids should all have brown eyes.  Except that's not how it worked in real life.  I have blue eyes.  My brother and sister both have brown.  My mother also comes from one blue eyed parent and one brown eyed parent (her brother had brown eyes).  My father's parents both had brown eyes (as does his sister).  Several people in the class (or a sibling) had the "wrong" color eyes from what the squares predicted.  The instructor said it's definitely not that our biological parents weren't who we think they are, but it is because genetics is not nearly as simple as a Punnet square indicates.  It's not just the simple dominant-recessive and the dominant will be what visually appears thing.  Eye color genetics is actually very complex and not even remotely as simple as Punnet squares indicate.  My husband is the child of a blue eyed parent and a green eyed parent.  He has green eyes.  All four of our kids have blue eyes.  Every one of them have very different shades of blue eyes.

• Like 1

Oh. My. Goodness.

In Anatomy and Physiology in college the teacher had us to Punnet squares using our parents' eye colors and what eye colors the square indicated their kids "should" have.  My father has brown eyes so BB.  My mother has blue eyes so bb.  That means all four child squares are Bb meaning the kids should all have brown eyes.  Except that's not how it worked in real life.  I have blue eyes.  My brother and sister both have brown.  My mother also comes from one blue eyed parent and one brown eyed parent (her brother had brown eyes).  My father's parents both had brown eyes (as does his sister).  Several people in the class (or a sibling) had the "wrong" color eyes from what the squares predicted.  The instructor said it's definitely not that our biological parents weren't who we think they are, but it is because genetics is not nearly as simple as a Punnet square indicates.  It's not just the simple dominant-recessive and the dominant will be what visually appears thing.  Eye color genetics is actually very complex and not even remotely as simple as Punnet squares indicate.  My husband is the child of a blue eyed parent and a green eyed parent.  He has green eyes.  All four of our kids have blue eyes.  Every one of them have very different shades of blue eyes.

Why would you assume BB for the brown eyed father? Why not Bb?

But yes, eye color is more complex and not determined by a single gene.

• Like 4

Why would you assume BB for the brown eyed father? Why not Bb?

But yes, eye color is more complex and not determined by a single gene.

Because, as I said, his parents were both brown eyed (and in fact, both of their sets of parents were also brown eyed).  On my mom's side, her mother's parents were both brown eyed and her father's parents were one blue and one brown, but he was blue eyed.

Because, as I said, his parents were both brown eyed (and in fact, both of their sets of parents were also brown eyed).  On my mom's side, her mother's parents were both brown eyed and her father's parents were one blue and one brown, but he was blue eyed.

But both parents being brown-eyed doesn't mean there wasn't a recessive gene hiding in there. Both parents could have been Bb, or one could have been BB and one Bb...

• Like 6

My mom is kind of like this, but more about personality traits than appearance. For instance, she told me a couple days ago that DH is "more like his dad every day." Except that's not true, other than a few mannerisms they have very, VERY different personalities, and she barely knows FIL anyway. I think she got the phrase, "He's becoming more like his dad every day," stuck in her head and decided to say it whether or not it was true. And then invented some alternate universe between her ears where she was right.

Drives me bonkers.

• Like 2

But both parents being brown-eyed doesn't mean there wasn't a recessive gene hiding in there. Both parents could have been Bb, or one could have been BB and one Bb...

That was the instructor's point why Punnet squares simplify genetics too much.  According to Punnet squares, when you go back to my great-grandparents, it would be impossible for my father to be anything but BB because both of his parents had brown eyes and both sets of their parents had brown eyes as well and at least three of his grandparents had parents with all brown eyes, too.  Obviously there was a recessive gene in there for my dad since I have blue eyes, but the point was being made about the limitations of Punnet squares specifically.

That was the instructor's point why Punnet squares simplify genetics too much.  According to Punnet squares, when you go back to my great-grandparents, it would be impossible for my father to be anything but BB because both of his parents had brown eyes and both sets of their parents had brown eyes as well and at least three of his grandparents had parents with all brown eyes, too.  Obviously there was a recessive gene in there for my dad since I have blue eyes, but the point was being made about the limitations of Punnet squares specifically.

I don't understand how "according to Punnet squares, when you go back to the great-grandparents, it would be impossible for my father to be anything but BB." There really is nothing about Punnet squares themselves that would lead to the assumption your father was BB. Punnet squares only work when you know the genotype, if you don't know (as you didn't know for your father or grandparents or great-grandparents) you have to do multiple squares with multiple options;  It doesn't matter how many generations you go back; every single brown-eyed generation could still be Bb.

I think a more salient point might be "don't make assumptions about genotype based on phenotype," though certainly many genetic traits are more complex than can be represented through Punnet squares.

• Like 3

My older two had dark blue almost black eyes when they were born. They both have brown eyes now. My next two had lighter blue eyes as babies and still have blue eyes although different shades of blue. We're still trying to figure out the youngest's eye color. I'm calling them hazel for now since they change a lot.

The most annoying thing was my MIL looking at my oldest one day and saying, "I wonder where he got those gorgeous brown eyes?" Hello lady, they're the exact same color as mine! My husband has dark blue eyes. They're almost black. My two kids with blue eyes are very light like my mother's. The IL's have blue/green/hazel eyes.

• Like 1

Mr. Ellie's mother had red hair when she was younger, which became blonde as she aged. She had very blue eyes. Mr. Ellie's father had brown eyes (I don't know what color his hair was before it was white).

Mr. Ellie has beautiful brown eyes.

I have blue eyes. Both our daughters have beautiful brown eyes. :001_wub:

What an incredibly stupid thing to say!  Everyone knows this only works if done in combination with essential oils-DUH!

• Like 17

Oh you've got green eyes

Oh you've got blue eyes

Oh you've got grey eyes

And I've never met anyone quite like you before...

:001_tt1:  that song!

This conversation also made me think of one by the 'Surfers:

"Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies

You never know just how you look through other people's eyes"

Interesting.... I guess because I'm west African, eye color isn't something I readily notice.

On my mothers side, most kids are born with bright blue eye which turn Brown by age two or so. The doctors were freaked out when I came out with bright blue eyes. My mother said they thought I was blind. Lol.

• Like 1

I guess I am wondering what is meant by "white" in the first place.  :)  It seems to me that the child is "mixed" unless both parents' families are "white" going all the way back through time.

If you go all the way back through time none of us are "white". I do recall being bullied as a kid for being "too white" aka "too pale", in a "white" country. Apparently "white" is only beautiful if you have at least *somewhat* of a tan (at least, when I was a kid... from what I've read, a few centuries ago things were different). It's amazing too me how there are plenty of (white) racists who think there is such a thing as "too white" (I'm looking less white in my avatar because of eczema - my real skin color is more like Celery's, who's also in the pic).

I've got bluish grayish greenish eyes, but the DMV wants you to pick a single color for your driver's license, so I've got blue eyes on my license. Black hair at birth, then light blonde as a 1yo, and been getting darker ever since (if you were to take several hairs from my head, you'd be able to find hairs of every color though - from light blonde to black and some red as well). A nurse predicted right before Celery's birth that he'd have red hair. He does have a little bit of reddish-ness, but not much. Broccoli has the same parents and no reddish-ness whatsoever though, and surprisingly seems to be staying blonde rather than darkening with time.

• Like 1

My sociopathic/narc SIL stays really upset that both of her girls ended up with **expletitive** brown eyes (she has blue eyes, herself).  Sorry for that example, those are HER words.  Her daughters have absolutely *beautiful* eyes and lush, thick, black eyelashes.  In my opinion, both of her daughters are quite a bit more beautiful than she is, and you know how narcs LOVE that!  Probably why she insults their coloring.  My SIL is a really bad person with no filter, and I'm glad I decided to stop our relationship years ago.  This is just one tiny example.

• Like 1

It would definitely seem that what your mom is hoping/going for is grandkids who don't look "Mexican."

But, not to derail or be snarky, I guess I got kind of hung up on Mexican/white. I mean, I know what you're meaning -- but I think of Mexican as a nationality, not a race. Some Mexicans are white, some aren't. 

Technically, I know this is true, but my Mexican husband and all of his family see being Mexican as a race. 100%. 

:001_tt1:  that song!

This conversation also made me think of one by the 'Surfers:

"Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies

You never know just how you look through other people's eyes"

Aw, come on, you can say their whole name. We're grown ups here.  :P

• Like 2

My sociopathic/narc SIL stays really upset that both of her girls ended up with **expletitive** brown eyes (she has blue eyes, herself). Sorry for that example, those are HER words. Her daughters have absolutely *beautiful* eyes and lush, thick, black eyelashes. In my opinion, both of her daughters are quite a bit more beautiful than she is, and you know how narcs LOVE that! Probably why she insults their coloring. My SIL is a really bad person with no filter, and I'm glad I decided to stop our relationship years ago. This is just one tiny example.

That is so very disgusting!

• Like 2

Technically, I know this is true, but my Mexican husband and all of his family see being Mexican as a race. 100%.

I think this is true for my BIL. I couldn't swear on the Bible, but I think I heard a reference somewhere along the way that he identifies as "Mexican," not Hispanic, not Latino.

Similar to a lady I used to work with who did not like to be called "African American," because she was Jamaican.

Similar to a lady I used to work with who did not like to be called "African American," because she was Jamaican.

When I first moved to South Texas, I had to fill out some form (maybe for community college?), and they asked for race/ethnicity, and I don't recall all the options, but they didn't have white or caucasian... they had Anglo (or maybe Anglo-Saxon... I don't recall). I obviously checked the box for 'other', since I'm not Anglo. I haven't seen that issue since, but it was weird/funny.

• Like 2

I thought all white kids were born with blue eyes, well except the ones with turquoise eyes. Is that a myth?

My African American son son was born with dark blue eyes, pale skin, and straight (albeit not blonde hair). Now he's got deep brown eyes, skin the color of milk chocolate, and kinky dark brown to the point it looks black hair.

Definitely a myth.

Hazel-brown eyed dh (paternal blue and maternal brown/black) + hazel-green (cognac/amber) me (paternal blue-green and maternal blue-violet) =

1. Hazel brown

2. True, deep brown

3. True, deep brown

4. Silver, grey-blue

5. Medium, soft brown

6. True, deep brown

7. Medium green

8. Hazel green

Our ancestry is VERY mixed, ethnically and racially.

Edited by mommaduck
  • Like 2

I think this is true for my BIL. I couldn't swear on the Bible, but I think I heard a reference somewhere along the way that he identifies as "Mexican," not Hispanic, not Latino.

Mexican is a nationality, a national or cultural identity/heritage, most definitely not a race. The terms Hispanic or Latino are just broad terms mostly used in the USA to catch large groups of very diverse people whose origins are south of the border and Spanish speaking. Did your BIL grow up in Mexico?

Your Jamaican colleague would probably consider herself West Indian, not the same history or cultural heritage as that of African Americans.

• Like 1

I dated a guy in high school who had red hair and, as I used to say, red eyes. :) His eyes were brown, but somewhat coppery; a medium warm brown. It was really quite gorgeous.

I've known several Mexicans who were blond and blue eyed.  I believe their families had lived in Mexico for generations.  

And I have red hairs.  Overall, my hair doesn't look red at all, but there are a significant number of individual hairs that are red.  And some that are black and some that are blond and a lot that just look brown.  My grandmother on one side and my uncle on the other had red hair.  My parents expected red haired kids.  That's not what they got, but some of that red hair gene does seem to still be lurking.  Underneath all the other genetic mix.

My very philosophical 10yo said something like this at dinnertime recently. He was saying something like, "We both say this is an orange napkin, but you might see a different thing that you call orange than what I see and call orange." Yes, you have a point.

I have thought this a lot lol.   :D

I have bluish greenish eyes that look different depending on makeup/clothing, but I say blue when I have to fill something out because that's closest.  DH's are hazel, I think.  My mom's were brown, don't know about my dad; MIL's are .... uh... idk.  Greenish maybe?  Hazel?  And maybe FIL's are brown?  

Yeah I've never paid attention.   :lol:  And these people, I see them at least once a week.   :D

(and my MIL doesn't say anything about my kids' eye colors - but she says Link looks 'exactly' like her when she was younger.  

Um.  

No.  

No, he doesn't.  I've seen pictures - she was a knockout, but I don't see any similarities in him at all.  I see similarities in Astro, especially in eye shape, smile, etc - but with the head shape of my brother and uncle lol.  Link looks more like me when I was younger, but not exactly.  It's around the eyes and stuff.  Pink more so.  People always say the kids look like such and such or so and so and eh, anything is possible.  DH and I don't look so drastically different that it'd be obvious if they got their ___ from me or him, kwim?)

My SIL says three of her kids are blonde and one has brown hair; I think three have brown hair and one is blonde lol.   :)  The two we 'disagree' on could go either way, I guess - but I see light brown hair where she sees blonde.  I think it's just that her hair is so dark, that's 'brown' to her, and only one has hair like that.  Or it could be the opposite for me - who knows?   :lol:

DH and I were both blonde as little kids - DH's was really light, mine was just a tad darker.  Now we both have the same natural hair color, a dark blonde shade.  

I always thought babies were born with blue eyes, too.   :leaving:  Link was born with dark eyes, a grey-ish bluish color, but very dark.  His turned to a sort of golden brown when he was around four or five (he said he had 'jaguar's eyes' :lol: ) and progressed to dark brown in the next couple years.  His hair was/is the color of mine.

Astro was born with very blue eyes.  From the time he was born, they were a lighter blue in the center with darker around the outside, and in the end the lighter blue won over, and he's got amazing eyes.   :)  His hair was super blonde/white when he was little, now it's just a tad lighter than Link's.  

Pink was born with eyes similar to Astro's but not quite as light.  I knew when I looked at hers they'd stay blue because they looked so much like his.  And they have.  Her hair has been like Link's (well, now it's got pink streaks, too, lol)   :).  

An odd aside - each of the kids' hair has been markedly different.  Link's is straight as can be, and very fine.  Astro's is thick, thick, thick, and has a bit of body to it - I wouldn't say a 'wave' but it definitely isn't straight.  And Pink has curls.  Her hair is fine, too, but she has a lot of it.  

On another random note, I had a friend in high school who called her eyes 'pond scum with flecks of gold'.   :lol:  But she said that about herself, which just makes it funny, not insulting.  

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 1