Menu

Favorite Hands-on Math...similar to RSA or Singapore?

shernandez

• 2 weeks later...

Kitchen table math is good and inexpensive. I don't know if you've looked into it. I had previously assumed, because of the title, that it was simple things like counting pretzels and cutting apples in half. It actually has a fair amount of depth, multiple strands, and good conceptual explanations. I am starting with my 3 year old right now because he is pre-writing. I used/recently finished Singapore's Essential Math with my daughter during her 4 year old year. I love those books and its only about $20 for both. They have writing though, so not great if your 3 year old isn't developmentally ready for learning to write numbers and coloring/marking appropriately. 

There is also MEP Reception which is free for the printing but it might be a touch early to start. You can look at it online and see. I like MEP quite a lot but haven't done it with any children yet. It focuses on pure math right from the beginning.

Check out Preschool Math at Home from one of the WTM forum members, Kate.

I believe she is revising it/adding activities, and the new edition will be available through Peace Hill Press this spring. 

It's all play-based learning, and the lessons (all games and activities) are very similar to the RightStart approach to math. I've been doing it with my 3-year-old. Some activities have been easy for her and some quite challenging, so it would be a good fit for a 4-year-old as well. We will definitely come back to the challenging ones over the next year. I love giving her the conceptual foundation to math, and it's been very enjoyable for both of us. 

I have the Orange book somewhere.  Any experience with Farmland Math Mat Bundle from Timberdoodle?

I'm using it with my 2 and 3 yos (born 9/2013 and 3/2012).  So far, they like it.  We're really in the beginning stages of counting and identifying the animals and colors though, so I can't comment on the whole program.  I can say that I liked the looks of it after reading through the booklet, and my little guys think that getting to do math with the animals is fun.  (Let's Cut Paper and Farmland Math are their favorites out of the Timberdoodle Preschool stuff we have.)

I often see the Education Unboxed videos using Cuisenaire Rods recommended for preschool math, so you might check those out too.  Our internet connection isn't good enough to play the videos without lots of pauses, so I haven't ended up using them myself.

• 2 months later...

I have the Orange book somewhere. Any experience with Farmland Math Mat Bundle from Timberdoodle?

We have Farmland and my daughter loves it. If you want number recognition you will need to add that. They recommend Beginning math reasoning or something to that effect. (The one in the kit) Right now I am using it, AllAbout Reading pre reading and memoria press preschool. I own mother goose time, before 5 in a row and a year if playing skillfully. I have an addiction, admitting it is as far as I have gone in 5 years of Homeschooling... Luckily I have enough kids to use some of it.

There is also MEP Reception which is free for the printing but it might be a touch early to start. You can look at it online and see. I like MEP quite a lot but haven't done it with any children yet. It focuses on pure math right from the beginning.

I started MEP R w/ my (admittedly rather mathy) DS3 at a couple months ago. He loves it! We only bring it out sporadically, but usually complete several lessons in a row when we do. We are halfway through & the only adjustment I've done is to omit some of the more complicated fine motor work.

• 3 weeks later...