Menu

has anyone used the great courses Pre Calc?

I'm thinking of buying this for myself.  Another option is Thinkwell.  And yet another would be Plato.

I can't make up my mind.

I did buy a study guide with lots of problems, but it's very dry.  It's good for extra practice, but again, dry as a bone.  And sometimes the explanations are so simplified they barely make sense.  Which is "ok" because I can look it up on-line.  It would be easier if I didn't have to do that all the time though.

Anyone have any experience with any of those?

Been looking at that one too based off user reviews + his used Precalc text availability. But the Chalk dust person has a subscriber service that may be more bang for the instruction $$ and it uses same Precalc text (assuming just digitized version of chalk dust courses)

http://coolmathguy.com/

I already have Foersters Precalc / Math without borders, so as much as I would like to get the above materials to check out, household comptroller is unlikely to approve the purchase.

• Like 1

Been looking at that one too based off user reviews + his used Precalc text availability. But the Chalk dust person has a subscriber service that may be more bang for the instruction $$ and it uses same Precalc text (assuming just digitized version of chalk dust courses)

http://coolmathguy.com/

I already have Foersters Precalc / Math without borders, so as much as I would like to get the above materials to check out, household comptroller is unlikely to approve the purchase.

Oh great, now I have another option.  LOL

I'm the household comptroller.  I don't want to spend a lot, but the way I'm looking at it is that it is still way cheaper than me talking it at the local CC.

• Like 1

Oh yikes. Chalkdust is more than I want to pay.

I don't think I need quite that much hand holding either.

One way I might go is get the GC PreCalc, than acquire used Precalc text Edwards coauthored unsure of specific edition, but the course would show it in the 'recommended reading'. This would be different than the course guide..

• Like 1

One way I might go is get the GC PreCalc, than acquire used Precalc text Edwards coauthored unsure of specific edition, but the course would show it in the 'recommended reading'. This would be different than the course guide..

I thought about doing that.  I'd need a solutions manual though.  Not sure how easy those are to come by. 

I am sure good deals can be had on Amazon or EBay, as I am pretty sure it is one of the Larson/Hostetler/Edward books which has many editions available used. I will be passing on this course mainly because I already have the Math Without Borders/ Foerster set.

And I just signed up for a subscription to Educator.com (1/2 off cyber promo), don't know if it's any good yet, but I have been interested in human pathogen type stuff which their 'microbio' course lines up to help with my ignorance on that

But if time were available I would add that course to our Great courses Library.

Edited by Ray
  • Like 1