Menu

explaining the earth, sun and moon to a 3 year old

learntosoar

My DD just turned 3 has been asking a lot of questions.

Why is it colder in winter? Where does the sun go? She is also very interested in the changing size of the moon.

We spend a fair bit of time at the beach. She has asked why there are low and high tides. How does one explain the moon and gravity to a three year old?

Can anyone recommend a book or an app that would help explain these concepts to her?

It would also be nice to get a model of the sun. moon and earth that spun and tilted. I think it would help if she could touch and turn and see what happens.  Perhaps a model that would allow the other planets to be added later.

She also asks a lot of geography questions?  Where is America, Canada, Italy etc. I've shown her maps but I don't think she understands that the different colored areas represent countries or even what is a country  I've tried to explain the concept that the earth is a big round ball or planet and it is made up of countries.  I don't think I explained that to her very well....

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

I've found that a globe has been very helpful. We allowed him to play with it and would hold it up the light (sun) to show how time and the seasons work. I think he knew every continent at 3, but didn't like the oceans because there wasn't a clear divide. We gave him an inflatable one because 3 year olds tend to break nice things. He still loves it and gives our guests geography lessons.

• Like 1

Apparently my husband took him into a dark room and used a flashlight. That's better than my idea.

Also, part of the joy of an inflatable globe as opposed to a model is that you can give it to a child. They can have it whenever they want and stare at it for as long as they want.

BFSU has that lesson in its first book (and then revisits in book 3). In addition to Slache's dh's idea, put a little tape on the map to represent your dd, and another one for somebody far from you. Then you can introduce time zones, and why we don't call grandma's before breakfast! This is a great way to set her intuitive feel for which way the earth rotates. This would also be a good lead-in to measuring solar noon in your area, and discussion, or measurement about why the Latin for sunrise and Sunday change over the year.

I think you should buy BFSU. It is cheap and dense and not very user friendly, but it will help her answer these questions and help both of you tie them together with other science topics.

Also, part of the joy of an inflatable globe as opposed to a model is that you can give it to a child. They can have it whenever they want and stare at it for as long as they want.

You are awesome, I didn't even know this existed

*buys inflatable globe right now for christmas*

• Like 1

You are awesome, I didn't even know this existed

*buys inflatable globe right now for christmas*

We also like the scrunchy maps and geopuzzles. My 5 year old knows more geography than most adults just by doing puzzles. We got the 6 pack for probably $60. It's been one of our best investments.

• Like 1

We also had some luck using a spinning top to demonstrate tilt and the way the planet has a hemisphere pointing toward the sun in summer and away from the sun in the winter. 

We also picked up a book of Kid's First Questions and Answers that help with those sorts of questions.  

Also, you may find interesting videos on youtube for some of this stuff.  We aim for videos 2-4 minutes in length at that age. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Gravity-Jason-Chin/dp/1596437170

This book was great for my son when he was 3, nearly 4.

With the globe, we also talked about why its warmer at the equator, then I lead to why its warmer when the earth tilts.

As for why or how the earth tilts, I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know why that happens (yet), but luckily he never asked why.

"Me on the map" is a great book, too for explaining geography.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

My DS has been obsessed w/ the solar system since he was 18mo. We have inflatable planets, a kick-ball style globe, a felt world map, apps & several books 😂

App: Earth School (version 1 is better than 2)

Books: Our Solar System & Beyond, Usborne Beginners The Solar System, Dr. Seuss There's No Place Like Space

Other: Pinterest Activity - connect paper Sun / Earth / Moon w/ brads to show rotation & revolution.

The book Where Do I Live starts a child in his room, then expanding out through his city, state, country, continent, planet, solar system, galaxy, and universe. It helps put things in perspective. You'll have to edit one page that says there are nine planets though.

We have a hug a world globe that's fun to throw around and useful for showing orbits and rotation concepts. We have a miniature solar system model but that actually wasn't as useful.

We also have a big world political wall map right next to DS bed. At bedtime reading we find the places that are mentioned in books. We also play a game we call Map Slap where I'll say a country, continent, sea, or ocean and he'll have to slap it as fast as he can. He's learned a surprising amount this way.

Thank you for all the advice.

The "Let's Read and Find out" books are really helpful. They cover a number of useful topics! We were able to pick one up from the library the next day on Day and Night. My daughter will be getting some of the books for Christmas this year. Also, she will be getting puzzles, maps and a globe.

It always works well if I can make learning fun for her. We will be trying our own version of " Map Slap" at one point. :)

The "Me on the Map" book and "Where do I Live" books also look great. Thank you! 

I've been looking at BFSU. It is a bit daunting. I'm not sure I got the correct version ("Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. A Science Curriculum for K-8 and older Beginning Science Leaners. 2nd Ed. Vol. 1, Grades K-2. by Nebel." It is a green book. )

Edited by learntosoar

• 2 weeks later...

When I was her age my dad explained it to me using a dark room, a globe, a flashlight for the sun, and an orange for the moon. It was a perfect hands-on illustration.

Our daughter loves maps too. We mark things on them for her that she's interested in: here's where we live, here's where you were born, here's where the Eiffel Tower is, here's where the president lives, here's where penguins live, etc.

Edited by PersonalMap