Menu

Which printer would you buy?

Help me choose a printer. Would you buy the...  

1. 1. Help me choose a printer. Would you buy the...

• Canon PIXMA ip3500
    • Epson stylus 88+
    • Another option that is inexpensive both to purchase and use

I am down to two choices:

The Canon or the Epson. There is a $5 price difference between the two, which is irrelevant to me. The cartridges cost the same for both. The Epson cartridge yield is 400 pages for black and 600 average of all colors. I have no cartridge yield information for the Canon. Reviews show both printers are excellent for their price range.

I've had a plethora of printers and would vote for an Epson over a Canon any day. However, given a choice, I would not pick either if I could have an HP. They are pricier however they have a much MUCH Longer life.

There was an HP which I ruled out. It was rated low for reliability, and I have had problems in the past with HP's breaking. My favorite printer was an Epson 880, but they have been discontinued.

I am down to two choices:

The Canon or the Epson. There is a $5 price difference between the two, which is irrelevant to me. The cartridges cost the same for both. The Epson cartridge yield is 400 pages for black and 600 average of all colors. I have no cartridge yield information for the Canon. Reviews show both printers are excellent for their price range.

We have a canon mx300 and it is an ink guzzler, it feels like we are replacing cartridge monthly. I would go Epson, not crazy about speed on Canon either.:glare:

I voted Canon over the Epson. We have the Canon i9900 and the Canon PIXMA MP520 and love them both. I also prefer Mac over PCs, but I'm stuck using a PC for the next few weeks until my dh returns with our Mac. :tongue_smilie:

Here are some review links that may help with your decision:

Test Freaks review of Canon PIXMA iP3500

CNET reviews of Canon PIXMA iP3500

Test Freaks review of Epson Stylus C88+

CNET reviews of Epson Stylus C88+

Melissa

Unless you really need color, I'd go with a b/w laser over any inkjet.

I do print some images. I would not say color is essential, but it is nice. Just this morning DH mentioned that the laser printer in his office has been there since before he bought the the company 8 years ago. It still runs well and he has never replaced the toner cartridge. I suppose I could explore them as well.

I've had a plethora of printers and would vote for an Epson over a Canon any day. However, given a choice, I would not pick either if I could have an HP. They are pricier however they have a much MUCH Longer life.

:iagree: I have had a Canon and it SUCKS ink - like with a straw! And it barely lasted a year. Of course this was 8 years ago....maybe they've improved???

We have an HP3210 all-in-one printer, scanner, copier and we LOVE it!! I use it to copy worksheets and print pictures. I calculated the amount I spent on ink in another thread about printers but I think my final total for an entire school year was about $100.

Yes, the printer is pricey - it was $250, in May of 2006 - but WELL WORTH IT!!

This is what I just bought: HP 7590

The cartridges that came with it did not last really long, but I print a lot. The replacement black extra large cartridges are $58 at Sam's for a two pack. Each is rated 2450 pages. I bought the printer on sale at Office Depot for $199.

I got the recommendation from some here for this printer. Given how much I print and copy, it was a good choice for me.

I had a PIXMA iP4000...it was OK. The only Canon I've had was a fax, and I hated it.

My favorite printer, by far, is my HP LaserJet 6MP, which is now an OLD model...but it still turns out page after page of great prints.

I have an HP 4 Plus LaserJet that I bought in 1995 for over $1000. I was a court reporter and printed thousands and thousands of pages. It is still running strong and works great!

Mine is older than my son!

I had a PIXMA iP4000...it was OK. The only Canon I've had was a fax, and I hated it.

My favorite printer, by far, is my HP LaserJet 6MP, which is now an OLD model...but it still turns out page after page of great prints.

I agree. I love having a laser printer/copier. Ours is a Brother DCP 7020.

They are engineered to waste ink (Epson lost a lawsuit regarding this, I believe), and the quality never made me happy.

I recently got a laser printer. B&W lasers can be very affordable, and I haven't minded giving up the color for the quality.

Since I have a mac, I looked for recs at the apple store--not every machine runs well with a mac. I ended up with a samsung.

They are engineered to waste ink (Epson lost a lawsuit regarding this, I believe), and the quality never made me happy.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case with the Epson C120 I currently own. A full set of ink cartridges costs about $60, and the yield seems to be quite low. The printer only cost $70! The printer also produces low quality work, is difficult to calibrate, and I really can't stand it. So rather than spending another $60 for ink cartridges, I decided I would rather put the money towards a different printer.

I did own an Epson 880 a few years ago, and I really liked it. Because of this, I haven't completely given up on Epsons. Though I haven't decided to buy another one, yet.

I decided to go ahead and order the Canon because it is an inexpensive immediate solution. My daughter is learning MS Word this year, and I think it will be more fun for her to be able to print her creations in color.

I will look into laser printers for the future, though. Thank you all for your input.