Menu

Attention Gamers: I need help!

AlmiraGulch

My daughter has asked for an Xbox 360 for Christmas.  

I know next to nothing about video games, but I know enough to know that the big Xbox console now is the Xbox One.  She specifically does not want a One because some of the games she wants to play are not available for or compatible with the One (Skyrim is the biggie here).

I've decided to get her a game console for Christmas as her "big" gift, particularly since I have some gift cards that I just don't have any other use for, so the cost will be covered (yay!!!), but I have questions.

1. The 360 is cheaper than the One, of course, but there really aren't any deals except for a 4GB system, which I think is too small?  Is it, or is it not? What size would you recommend?  

2. Won't they stop making games for the 360 soon?

3. What accessories, if any, should I buy to go with the system?  I'm assuming we should probably have more than one controller since some of the games are multi-player, right?

4.  Doesn't this thing have a "live" option?  Can I lock that down?  I don't want her playing and chatting with strangers.

Thanks in advance!

I'm clueless, like you, but my 17 yo is a big gamer.    He's had a couple of systems and currently plays mostly on a PC that he built.  These are his comments.

My daughter has asked for an Xbox 360 for Christmas.  

I know next to nothing about video games, but I know enough to know that the big Xbox console now is the Xbox One.  She specifically does not want a One because some of the games she wants to play are not available for or compatible with the One (Skyrim is the biggie here).

I've decided to get her a game console for Christmas as her "big" gift, particularly since I have some gift cards that I just don't have any other use for, so the cost will be covered (yay!!!), but I have questions.

1. The 360 is cheaper than the One, of course, but there really aren't any deals except for a 4GB system, which I think is too small?  Is it, or is it not? What size would you recommend?  20 is good, 250 is best; unsure if there is anything in between.

2. Won't they stop making games for the 360 soon? They pretty much already have.

3. What accessories, if any, should I buy to go with the system?  I'm assuming we should probably have more than one controller since some of the games are multi-player, right?  Yes, another controller. Maybe a Kinect, a motion capture/camera. Maybe a rechargeable battery set.

4.  Doesn't this thing have a "live" option?  Can I lock that down?  I don't want her playing and chatting with strangers. The live option is a free pass (good for 1? 3? monhths) that comes on a card with the manuals when you buy it new.  Otherwise, you have to pay a subscription fee. So you just don't activate it or buy a subscription.

Thanks in advance!

My guys just upgraded to the One. For people who play online (they do!), the playing pool for the 360 is getting smaller and smaller. If you anticipate that ever in the life of your game system, your dd would like to play online, it would make sense to get the One. Also, as ThisIsTheDay's son noted, they are no longer making games for the 360.

However, there are about 100 (?) 360 games currently backwards compatible (i.e. they can be played on the One) and my son indicates that he's heard more will be released.

ETA: He thinks that Skyrim Elder Scrolls is available for the One.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

There are tons of used Xbox 360 games out there. I wouldn't be concerned that they stop making them. If it has the games she likes that is all that matters.

This is why I ultimately went ahead and purchased the 360 last night.  The games are so much cheaper, new or used, that her $$$ will go much further.  

• Like 1