Menu

come judge my baby name :)

fdrinca

246 members have voted

1. 1. Would you assume we are Italian based on the name Anna Teresa?

• Absolutely
    • Possibly
    • Not at all
    • Obligatory other

I'm leaning toward Anna Teresa for our next baby. Anna is 90%; Teresa is up for debate. Baby would be called "Anna" unless she were caught in mischief :)

DH told me the name sounded waaaay too Italian for him. We're not Italian (Northern European with the fair skin and eyes as proof). 

So, I'm seeking a bunch of irrelevant votes to sway my opinion one way or another. I'd trust the hive mind's opinion over my MIL ;)

Well, if you call her Anna, then no! But if I heard Anna Teresa, yes, I would think Italian and Catholic. For reference, dh is Italian and we're both Catholic. By the way, there are an abundance of full-blooded Italians with fair skin and light eyes, dh is one of them! Brown hair, blindingly white skin, and light green eyes. 

I love the two names together, I would definitely be calling her Anna Teresa!

How about Annelies?  Wouldn't work with Teresa though.

Possibly a problematic Catholic name, only because there is a very famous case of an ongoing exorcism ending in death, "Annalise" (different spelling but I would think pronounced the same or nearly the same). It's not the girl did anything wrong, just that it might raise some eyebrows and "did you name her after -?" questions in Catholic circles, because many do consider her a good example of devotion. 

Edited by katilac

Possibly a problematic Catholic name, only because there is a very famous case of an ongoing exorcism ending in death, "Annalise" (different spelling but I would think pronounced the same or nearly the same). It's not the girl did anything wrong, just that it might raise some eyebrows and "did you name her after -?" questions in Catholic circles, because many do consider her a good example of devotion. 

Hmm.  I was thinking more along the lines of Annelies Frank, but then, I'm not Catholic.  :)

I say, if you like it then go for it.  One of my sons has a very Jewish first and middle name, but we aren't one bit Jewish.  We had one great-aunt question the name, but no one else has said anything about it.  We like it anyhow.  :oP

One of my daughters has a very Jewish name AND nickname, and we actually named her after a Jewish woman whose biography I read.  She also looks Jewish (different from all the rest of us), so people assume she is.  She has always felt quite honored by that!

I voted "possibly", though it's really more "probably" for me.  But it wouldn't occur to me to wonder whether or not it was legit with Italian blood. *Especially* as a middle name.

I feel like everyone I ever knew in my first 18 years was either Italian or Irish (if not both), and mostly Catholic (except blood relatives), so that could be why it wouldn't be a blip on my radar.  Maybe it's different in other places.  My kids' first names are Hebrew, Irish, and German, and nobody's ever questioned my lineage. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

I don't think I've sold him on "Teresa" yet, but at least he's conceded that it doesn't scream Italian. This might be in my favor, as I can keep the name for a potential future DD. 

Now we have to figure out the proper pronunciation for Anna. I have the Midwestern Mary/Merry/Marry merger, which means I can say "Anna" only one way. DH can pronounce each word differently, which BLOWS MY MIND, and keeps asking how we'll say her name. Um, they way I can say it?!?!  :lol:

• Like 1