Menu

"Edited" footnote

Violet Crown

My posts are now including a note at the bottom that they've been edited. My vision is poor and I nearly always have to go back and repair typos, and usually don't note that I've corrected them. Am I doomed to have all my posts say "edited by Violet Crown" at the bottom from now on?

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 9

Not just that, but it is a BOLD note. I'd like to think my vision is ok, but I am so often the victim of autocorrect and poor proofreading that I will be right there with you in the "edited posts hall of fame".

Plus, on my phone I have to edit my pay in order for the "follow this topic?" button to show up.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 2

This used to be a default feature if you edited more than about a minute after posting. Maybe they brought it back on the new forums? Sometimes on FB I delete and rewrite posts because the "edited" makes me feel like such a failure :lol:

Eta: just checking to see if I get an edit line.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 3

Yeah, not really liking the edit memo being in bold at the bottom of every post (because I seem to edit every post, as I've just realized, since having it brought to my attention lol)

It doesn't tell me any actual information since I think most people here edit for typos, so it's not indicating which posts have edited content anyway. 

• Like 8

OtherJohn, is the administrator, who usually checks each Tuesday, for any new problems.

Then tries to sort them out.

Previously when one edited a post.

Their was a box to tick, which then showed the 'This has been edited' line at the bottom.

Which was useful if the editing had significantly changed what was written.

So that it needs to changed back to an option that can be ticked.

For the previous post, I just went back and "edited" it to not include my signature. I often do this when I think the post is less related to what we do here in our homeschool than it is to other, more general issues. Yes, I realize that we can choose to not include our signature when we first submit the post, but sometimes I decide that after I've hit the "Post" button. So even though nothing has actually changed in the content, the post shows the "Edited by" message, simply for taking off one's signature.

I think that having this feature automatically turned on is useless and annoying. All it really does is seem to stigmatize those who actually proofread their posts and care enough about editing them to make corrections.

I almost always edit my posts.  I like having it on, even if it tells something about me.  

I like it so I know that the poster changed something in the text.  It is very helpful when posters later in the same thread reference the edited post.  Sometimes people will go back and edit a post, to clarify a misunderstanding.... or if they are getting backlash for something they said, they may alter it which leads to confusion. Having the Edited by... sometimes helps to explain why one poster has interpreted a passage one way, and another poster interprets it another. 

Edited by Tap

Do people really pay attention to the edited line in anything except a heated discussion? Is there really a stigma about it?

I'm another who routinely catches my mistakes after I post. Often I realize I want to add something more, but don't want to make two posts back-to-back, so I edit to add it.

• 4 weeks later...

I imagine if it was an easy fix they would have done it by now.

That's a pretty big assumption when there has been no feedback over many months of requests. I believe this is an easy on/off feature of IP.Boards software. Nothing overly daunting.

Bill

That's a pretty big assumption when there has been no feedback over many months of requests. I believe this is an easy on/off feature of IP.Boards software. Nothing overly daunting.

Bill

In my limited experience with websites of this magnitude it isn't an on/off switch, but an actual line of code that needs to be detected and altered. Perhaps this website is simpler, but I don't believe so.

In my limited experience with websites of this magnitude it isn't an on/off switch, but an actual line of code that needs to be detected and altered. Perhaps this website is simpler, but I don't believe so.

My understanding is that IP.Board software has the functionality to turn this on and off as an selection box option. It is not built from the ground software that requires custom coding.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1