Menu

High school online classes that show a person?

My son has taken several online classes now and it is always a disappointment that they don't show the human being who is talking. Worse, some don't even have sound (aka AOPS just has text) ...this makes the lesson drag by and seem so impersonal.

Can you share which online lesson providers popular with homeschoolers actually show the teacher? I know

1. Apologia Academy, some teachers can be seen and some cannot be seen.

• Like 1

We do! :)  Some of the time. Here is a link to samples of our online classes. Note that Angelina's regularly show her. To save bandwith, and depending on what sort of class it is, the tutor sometimes doesn't activate the video. But we provide opportunities for all of the students to come to "Online Socials" where they can see each other and the tutors. 

• Like 3

Lukeion Project does not show the teacher, although the classes are live and the teachers regularly react to chat box comments.  Our kids have usually found that the slides on the screen change pretty frequently and hold their attention. You might try a workshop to see if the format works for your ds.  (I think they have free workshops occasionally.  They were also willing to send me a link to a class recording so I could see what a class was like.)

There is an webcam component to the Sejong Korean Scholars Program and Reischauer Scholars Program from SPICE.  These classes had weekly assignments with required forum posts.  There were video conferences every 1-2 weeks, with a guest speaker and all of the students each on the split screen.  

We've used an Apologia Physical Science class through CurrClick that was good for a child who showed up to class prepared.  :001_huh: The teacher was live, but, of course, she could not see the students, nor they see one another.  

Our 'go-to' online provider is The Potter's School for the rigor of their classes, combined with lots of grace, but they do not offer photos of anyone live. One teacher did post her picture on the 'white board' so they at least knew what she looked like.  She also invited students to send in photos if they wanted to, and posted those during one class session.  Not ideal, but it was nice to put names and faces together!  

We have one WTM Academy class where the teacher doesn't show himself live but the other three there do.  I guess it is something to check on.  Even though a provider may have designed the course to show the teacher there might be individual teachers that do not do it that way.

We have had math through Kolbe Academy (Catholic) and the teacher is shown live.

AP Psychology with PA Homeschoolers

The teacher has an online lecture each week during which she's visible. Some students choose to be visible as well.  She also has supplemental recorded lectures in which she's visible.

In addition she has a weekly online chat; no visuals for that one, but lots of interesting discussion.

If anyone is looking for an interactive class, I highly recommend this one!  

NOTE: Not all PA Homeschoolers classes are like this! Some have very little teacher interaction.

• Like 2

Our WTMA writing class did not show the teacher video after the first class session -- probably to cut down on lagging for some of the students or teacher??

Yes! That's exactly why most of us do it that way here at the Harvey Center.  We start out by showing our video, and also that of the students if they would like to, and then switch to no video to "save the bandwith" for those who have slow internet connections. :)