Menu

Need a fun bright easy cheap math for K

busymama7

Hahaha!!

My 5 year old girl insists on doing as much school as her 2nd grade brother. She feels left out if I don't have her doing stuff. I have successfully used MUS for all my kids and skip primer spreading alpha over K and 1st since we don't do a lot of formal school for those years. It worked great for 5 kids but now she is wanting to do more and more and it's moving too fast for her. She really really didn't get solving for the unknown in lesson 8 and I don't want to keep going as lesson 9 isn't going great either.

I don't want a rigorous program. I want something light and new to make her feel it's a reward that we are putting aside alpha for a time. I've tried just telling her she only has to do xtramath for math but she really wants to do a workbook! She â¤ï¸s workbooks!

Suggestions? We will go back to alpha in 4-6 months probably.

Singapore Essentials are quick and easy. My DS did them both at 5 and I should have given him the first book at 4. As antsy first time wanna be HS DS also did CTC Mathematical Reasoning and thinking books and enjoyed them. DS has used a lot of the Kumon books but I never got the math ones. Those would probably be simple and certainly cheap.

Is she open to the new DragonBox numbers app?

Probably in addition to a workbook! She feels she's being shorted if she doesn't "do a page of math" like her siblings. LOL. I've never had this problem before. All my others only occasionally wanted to do school and mostly played. But the two she plays with most are in 2nd and 5th and so have more school. When they are doing school she wants to be doing school. I'm okay with an app here and there but really she won't let it "count". I am going to try just doing simple games and such with her next week but I think she will still want the darn workbook too ;)

Singapore Essentials are quick and easy. My DS did them both at 5 and I should have given him the first book at 4. As antsy first time wanna be HS DS also did CTC Mathematical Reasoning and thinking books and enjoyed them. DS has used a lot of the Kumon books but I never got the math ones. Those would probably be simple and certainly cheap.

I'm looking at the essentials and maybe kumon. Thanks!

My DS5 likes the Abeka K workbook. I would have never thought to get it, as I don't use Abeka for anything else, but I found it unused in our local HS library. It is bright, colorful and easily completed by my newly 5-year old. It fits the bill for 'I want to sit down with my math worksheets.' :)

I still use games, some abacus work, unifix cubes, and other things to actually teach him concepts. The workbook is just for when he wants to sit and do workbook pages. :)

You could look at the lesson pages for MEP. It is a good program that is free for the printing. Another fun free for the printing program is CSMP. The site used to be hosted at SUNY Buffalo. If you have some funds I highly recommend Miquon. Colourful worksheets that do a great job instilling number sense.

Off the top of my head, singapore essentials or a kumon book sounds like what you are looking for.   Honestly, I don't think those are the cheapest workbooks out there though.  

Do you have a teachers store or a Barnes and Noble in your area (or maybe even a walmart / target)???

If so, all of those stores sell workbooks.   I would probably just browse there and pick one out that I liked.  

• Like 1

In addition to Kumon, how about Miquon, or even quicker and easier, the Complete Book of Math (gr. 1-2), or the Complete Book of Kindergarten -- over 300 pages of worksheets in full color for under $12! :) Similar types of workbooks:

for Kinder:

Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills

Brain Ques

Spectrum Math

Or, consider going with the 1st grade big book of skills if she's already beyond what skills are presented in the Kinder versions when you look at samples. :)

• Like 1

Math Reasoning is really fun. 

We also get the BIg Workbook of K for DD to just play in. She can do it whenever she decides she wants to do school, and I don't really care how she's doing/what she's doing.  It's usually findable on sale for like 5 dollars (for 300ish pages) and is colorful and fun.