Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Do I need a Clarisonic?

So I've been hemming and hawing off and on for ten years over this. Every once in awhile I see a deal for a Clarisonic or Phillips or other skin cleansing brushes. Who loves theirs? Who was indifferent?

I have acne prone, thin skin that can become sensitive if I over exfoliate, if that makes a difference.

My daughter loves it. But I borrowed it, and a the first time I used it it caused broken capillaries in the cheekbone area. The are the kind of broken capillaries that won't heal and would need to be removed by a dermatologist.

This was with the sensitive head and very gentle use. I'm so glad I stopped and looked closely before moving to another spot.

I have one and like it, but I tend to just reach for my regular, old wash cloth more often than not. I did recently get a great deal on the brush heads via Groupon, though.

• Like 2

My daughter loves it. But I borrowed it, and a the first time I used it it caused broken capillaries in the cheekbone area. The are the kind of broken capillaries that won't heal and would need to be removed by a dermatologist.

This was with the sensitive head and very gentle use. I'm so glad I stopped and looked closely before moving to another spot.

Broken capillaries were my concern. I wasn't sure how prevalent those were and the makeup alley reviews were mixed, but I struggle with dry patches and little comedones so I'd like to fix those if this will help.

My Mom gave me one (Mia) a few years ago and I love it.  I don't wear much make-up though so I think I'd love it even more if I did.

Prior, I had an Olay brush which was very nice as well.  Is the Clarisonic worth the extra $$? For me, probably not.  If I was back working and wearing a full face of make-up each day, definitely.  

• Like 1

I have the Olay one--got it for $25ish at Target. I love it, and I have very sensitive skin (& drug-induced rosacea).  I notice a difference between when I use it and when I don't.  It's especially great for cleaning off foundation, etc.

• Like 2

I have the Olay one--got it for $25ish at Target. I love it, and I have very sensitive skin (& drug-induced rosacea). I notice a difference between when I use it and when I don't. It's especially great for cleaning off foundation, etc.

That was kind of what I wanted to know. I was looking at the pink Phillips sonic one but I just wasn't sure if it would be good. I do wear a fair bit of makeup and generally just remove it with facial cleanser or microfiber cleaning cloths, which also exfoliate a fair bit.

I have the Olay one--got it for $25ish at Target. I love it, and I have very sensitive skin (& drug-induced rosacea).  I notice a difference between when I use it and when I don't.  It's especially great for cleaning off foundation, etc.

I notice a definite difference when using the Olay brush as well.  My died- after 2 years of use-  and I waited a couple of weeks to replace it.  My face really looked worse during those two weeks - more breakouts, blackheads, and it didn't feel as clean even though I was using the same cleanser, just with a washcloth. Haven't tried a Clarisonic, but the Olay is well loved here (my teenagers each have their own brush heads and we share it). 

after studying reviews on amazon - I bought a knock-off PROx, I think it's olay. (for a whole lot less).  I use neutrogena pore minimizer, and yes, it's helped my skin.

eta: you can get replacements brushes via subscribe and save off amazon, so another discount.

So I've been hemming and hawing off and on for ten years over this. Every once in awhile I see a deal for a Clarisonic or Phillips or other skin cleansing brushes. Who loves theirs? Who was indifferent?

I have acne prone, thin skin that can become sensitive if I over exfoliate, if that makes a difference.

Mine died relatively quickly. I took care of it, didn't even use it every day, and it stopped working. I thought of buying another, but can't be bothered. Yes, it was nice, but it's not worth the expense when it didn't even last a year. I get far better results from Paula's Choice BHA, etc. line. Her books are superb. Her site is fabulous. Both recommend products that are not just hers. 

• Like 1

I've been experimenting with one (mine is the "Spin for Perfect Skin" brand and comes with: regular brush, sensitive brush, body brush (which is proving to be helpful for ingrown hairs on my legs), and pumice).  So far, I like the results.  I use the regular brush, 1x most days.  I think like any tool you have to be aware of the effect on your skin and use it accordingly.  Don't leave it on one spot too long.

BTW, I don't wear makeup or use any other skin care products.  I just use it with my plain ole Dial soap.

I'm thinking of having my teen try the sensitive brush for his acne.

Can the Olay brush be used in the shower?

My oldest (9) is starting to get blackheads and is fash-washing-resistent.  I refuse to buy the kid a Clarisonic (though I think it would help).  Maybe the Olay one would make a good Christmas gift for her...

I have a knock off one.  It makes me break out pretty badly, and I have sensitive skin. :/

And yes the Olay one is fine in the shower.

Edited by mommymilkies

I ordered my Clarisonic Mia at askderm.com. If you sign up for their emails, they frequently run 30% off with free shipping. I ended up paying about $70 for my Mia. My only complaint is that they don't last very long. I got about 4 years out of my first one and then it died. My husband tried to change the battery after watching a Youtube video, but it didn't work for mine so there could have been something else wrong with it. I really didn't use the first one as much as I should have. When I ordered my second one, I committed to really using it several times a week. I have no idea how it compares to the Olay one, but I really wanted the sensitive head so I went with the Clarisonic.

Mine died relatively quickly. I took care of it, didn't even use it every day, and it stopped working. I thought of buying another, but can't be bothered. Yes, it was nice, but it's not worth the expense when it didn't even last a year. I get far better results from Paula's Choice BHA, etc. line. Her books are superb. Her site is fabulous. Both recommend products that are not just hers. 

Mine didn't even make it a year.  I too now use BHA from Paula's Choice and LOVE the results!!!

• Like 2

I am getting an olay one, and pads for my ds1. so we can share it.  I can just tell I am going to cave, and I am using him as an excuse lol.  I need to head up to the mall to get ds2 a christmas present, and I can already feel myself being pulled into Target.  I could get one just for ds1 for christmas, but then I can't share it with him, can I?

But, I guess better than going into Ulta where they have the Clairsonic. Which is what I really want....

:smash:

I bought a Mia (maybe a Mia 2 . . . it was about $150 a couple of years ago) and ended up returning it.  I kept it for the full 90 day trial period trying to give it a chance, but it tore my face up.  I wanted "deeper" clean, but it made my skin really break out.  I got that cystic acne that bubbles under the skin but never comes to a head.  It was awful.  And painful.  I called and spoke to their customer service several times, but they just encouraged me to keep using it and give my skin a chance to adapt to the deeper level of clean.  It never got any better. 

I don't have sensitive skin at all.  I do wear a full face of make-up almost every day, so I use an exfoliating cleanser regularly.  My skin did not like that Clarasonic at all, not even with the sensitive heads.  It took over a month for my skin to get back to normal after I stopped using it.  Now I just use a decent quality cleanser and my hands for face washing.  Sometimes the old fashioned stuff works best, LOL. 

This has been helpful. I've been wanting a Mia just don't want to pay the price. Someone usually has olay set on sale. You've convinced me to give it a try. Now getting one for my teen son may be good, ill think about that one.