Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
creekland

If you were to go out on a hike/walk for pleasure, what's long to you?

For a walk I guess 5 miles.

For a hike, a long hike is about 10+ miles.

We don't hike so much these days as we're working a lot. But that's my standard.

5 miles with small children (<8) takes about two hours. It's the whining I hate.

5 miles with small children (<8) takes about two hours. It's the whining I hate.

When reading through these threads, I find myself really thankful that all three of my boys inherited our love of traveling and the great outdoors in general.  

I honestly don't recall a single time that mine whined on a hike or in the car on long road trips.

OK, mine might have whined that we cut something short or didn't take a side trip... but otherwise, doing these things is a nice dopamine surge for all of us.

It's amazing how different our (human) genetic mindsets are.  Walking is definitely a pleasure for all of us - esp if there's decent scenery - but even if we're in a town and just heading to a store.  Walking our tried and true routes around our farm is always a relaxing break as long as the weather is decent.

Depends on the context.

If we drive to our local mountain area for the day, a 4-5 mile hike seems reasonable.  Anything else is long.

If we are in Philmont Scout Ranch on a 100 mile 7 day hike, I suppose 9 miles would be considered short.

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

It entirely depends on the terrain, company (little kids take like 5x the time to walk a distance), and weather.  Where we are now, it's a lot steeper terrain, and colder, so 1 mile is far to me.  Back in IL we would walk like 5 miles and barely bat an eye.   

I tend to think of time rather than distance.  If it is just me or I am with other adults, I would probably go for about two hours.  When I have all my kids with me, I tend to limit it to about an hour, and I don't assume I will get far.

For a longer than two hour walk I would be planning something a little more serious, I'd want water-bottles and maybe a snack, that sort of thing. 

Depends on the terrain. In Texas, our nightly walks were 2 to 3 miles on non-hilly streets.  Here, nearly every place we go is pretty steep, so over two miles takes an effort. Walking in snow wears me out, so even crossing our back property to the compost area can be tiring. We've always been a family that hiked; never heard whining from the kids, tho I admit to complaining. I have a fear of getting lost, so being in the woods, even a state park, nearing sunset makes me panic. My son tells a story of us walking home  in the dark when he was around 7, we heard scary animal sounds( just cows next to the fence) and I supposedly nearly knocked him down to get away. My version has me actually grabbing him to keep him safe...

Depends on the context.

If we drive to our local mountain area for the day, a 4-5 mile hike seems reasonable. Anything else is long.

If we are in Philmont Scout Ranch on a 100 mile 7 day hike, I suppose 9 miles would be considered short.

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!

My great uncle was the director of Philmont many years ago.