Menu

Well here I am

Wow. How did I get here so soon? Wasn't it just last week that my oldest was building duplos while I read him

Board books? I guess time really does fly.

So here I am with my oldest getting ready for high school. If you were in my shoes, what would you see as a critical need for successfully homeschooling high school? What areas do you feel your student was prepared and which ones needed attention? can't wait to hear what all you wise women have to say.

• Like 2

Critical needs?

Patience----on both sides!

Flexibility

The ability to do lots of research to choose courses, materials, and to create a loose plan (see: flexibility) for 4 years with stricter plans for a year at a time

Dd was prepared academically for high school work. I mean, she had been doing (what some would call) high school work for two years beforehand. Her writing was not as strong as I would have liked, but she has progressed so much in the past 15 months since officially beginning high school.

She still needs to work on organization and long-term assignment planning. She does that well for the subjects she loves but tends to slack for the subjects she doesn't enjoy as much. Just like most of us :lol:

• Like 2

I am in the planning stages now with the youngest.

Because I thrive in structure, one thing that has helped me with each teen is to make a 5-year plan that shows academic courses, extra-curriculars, summer programs. contests, standardized tests and community service for each year from 8th to 12th. Putting it all in one document so we can both see the next 5 years on 1 or 2 pieces of paper can help the teen (and me) visualize what the next 5 years will look like. For my sons, this process was also a little stressful because they were not used to setting long-term goals, and it was a tiny bit overwhelming. However, it helped them take ownership of their own education, which is one of the things I stress.  I will not be the one applying to colleges; they will be applying based on what they did with the opportunity to homeschool. In practice this Big Plan was used only during the first 2 years; by the end of sophomore year they had a firm foundation in their high school careers, and we didn't need to refer to the plan--we were living it.  And as has been noted, flexibility is key. The 5-year-plan was just a plan--many times that plan changed drastically, which was OK. The main goal was to at least have A plan at the beginning.

I also looked for a regional group or institution in each teen's area of deep interest where that teen could volunteer, participate in programs, meet other teens and adults who share their deep interest. Local groups were too small, and our homeschool status made my kids stick out in an unproductive way. But in a regional group, such as a well-known theater program, or museum teen groups, or teen councils for cultural institutions,  everyone is from different towns and schools, so no one cares much if you are homeschooled. These groups can be a bonanza of additional open doors, adult mentors, and opportunities to which we otherwise would not have access.

Lastly, I read almost every book I could get my hands on about the college admissions process. It was important to me that I take a professional attitude to my job as high school counselor--that any missed opportunities were not going to be due to my lack of preparation or knowledge. I owned that part of my job.

This is an exciting time! It is thrilling to see your kids grow into young adults right before your eyes!!

Maria

• Like 4

If your child is interested in college there are several books to read. I've only read Homeschooled and Headed for College but I know there are several others. This book provides examples of what that 4-5 year plan looks like. I have created my dd's in an excel spreadsheet. In the far left are three columns: high school graduation requirements, Ca State requirements and Ca U requirements (based on what she wants to major in). Then to the right are columns by school year and I've put in the subjects to fulfill those requirements. It's a high level plan and on tabs below that high-level are where I keep specific curriculum ideas. 

Other thoughts are to find and help encourage a group of teenagers for your child to hang out with. We are only in our first year of high school but it seems that more group learning and non learning opportunities are wanted/needed from the kids. My dd has been in a debate club with other homeschooled teens, a kitchen chemistry class and an art class. They occasionally will organize their own get togethers at the mall and see a movie together and my dd trains for triathlons with another homeschooled gal. 

This is also when you begin to involve them in the planning of their subjects and curriculum. This gives them a sense of ownership and empowerment. I laid out the overall plan, based on her desires, and then shared it with her. But as she gets older, I will have her take on more of the details of the plan. And teaching them how to plan out their time over the course of a semester, preparing for tests, scheduling everything in, etc. By the end of high school my hope is that my dd can independently take on selecting her college classes, getting herself to classes, scheduling out assignments, reading and preparing for tests, etc. (hope, hope, hope!) :glare:

It is not necessary but we do use an umbrella/cover school. They provide guidance and structure for the parent and teen and create the transcripts. You can certainly do this on your own but I appreciate the outside help. The school has us put together a credit plan at the beginning of a semester. We write out what the subject is, what the learning goals are, what materials we will use, the specifics of what will be covered and how much time will be allowed to the subject. This has really upped my "game!" At the end of a semester then we need to fill out another form stating what in fact did happen in order to receive credits.  

And lastly, get on several homeschool high school forums like this one! 

• Like 2

Have him/her read.... And read, and read, widely, deeply.  I honestly believe this is what prepared my kids to do well with writing in college.  

Make a plan for testing.  After our oldest was launched, I made it a point to begin testing their sophomore year, rather than have the first PSAT be in Junior year -that was a massive fail on my part.

Find out what your state does for dual enrollment and whether or not you want to factor that into your plan.

I enjoy high school more than middle school years.  I found they were more self-motivated, more capable, and just ready to work. :)

• Like 1

If your child is interested in college there are several books to read. I've only read Homeschooled and Headed for College but I know there are several others. This book provides examples of what that 4-5 year plan looks like. I have created my dd's in an excel spreadsheet. In the far left are three columns: high school graduation requirements, Ca State requirements and Ca U requirements (based on what she wants to major in). Then to the right are columns by school year and I've put in the subjects to fulfill those requirements. It's a high level plan and on tabs below that high-level are where I keep specific curriculum ideas. 

Other thoughts are to find and help encourage a group of teenagers for your child to hang out with. We are only in our first year of high school but it seems that more group learning and non learning opportunities are wanted/needed from the kids. My dd has been in a debate club with other homeschooled teens, a kitchen chemistry class and an art class. They occasionally will organize their own get togethers at the mall and see a movie together and my dd trains for triathlons with another homeschooled gal. 

This is also when you begin to involve them in the planning of their subjects and curriculum. This gives them a sense of ownership and empowerment. I laid out the overall plan, based on her desires, and then shared it with her. But as she gets older, I will have her take on more of the details of the plan. And teaching them how to plan out their time over the course of a semester, preparing for tests, scheduling everything in, etc. By the end of high school my hope is that my dd can independently take on selecting her college classes, getting herself to classes, scheduling out assignments, reading and preparing for tests, etc. (hope, hope, hope!) :glare:

It is not necessary but we do use an umbrella/cover school. They provide guidance and structure for the parent and teen and create the transcripts. You can certainly do this on your own but I appreciate the outside help. The school has us put together a credit plan at the beginning of a semester. We write out what the subject is, what the learning goals are, what materials we will use, the specifics of what will be covered and how much time will be allowed to the subject. This has really upped my "game!" At the end of a semester then we need to fill out another form stating what in fact did happen in order to receive credits.  

And lastly, get on several homeschool high school forums like this one! 

Excellent post; thank you.  What other forums do you find to be helpful?

• Like 2

Nothing can prepare you for high school (insert evil laugh).

No, seriously, flexibility has been the key here. I thought we would do fine with lots of homemade classes. Adolescence hit my student in such a way as he suddenly did much, much better with outsourced classes and me as the cheerleader/facilitator. I never would have predicted that with that child. So, it helped to have some financial flexibility, too. (I was able to outsource a couple of things mid year when things started to go downhill).

I think study skill are important to build in junior high--note taking from lectures and books, making study guides for tests and reviewing notes and really studying for tests.

I wish we had done a bit more "fun" type classes b/c there is just not the time anymore. More field trips, too.

• Like 2

Excellent post; thank you. What other forums do you find to be helpful?

This is a good one: Yahoo Group hs2coll

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hs2coll/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmprdmlxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE0MTA2NjMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjM1MwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0NDgwMTM2MzY-

There is one other that I know of but they are not very active.

I'm sure there are others out there!

Wow. How did I get here so soon? Wasn't it just last week that my oldest was building duplos while I read him

Board books? I guess time really does fly.

So here I am with my oldest getting ready for high school. If you were in my shoes, what would you see as a critical need for successfully homeschooling high school? What areas do you feel your student was prepared and which ones needed attention? can't wait to hear what all you wise women have to say.

solid arithmetic and pre-algebra skills

reading fluently and widely

spelling well

solid grammar knowledge

able to put thoughts into words and words onto paper in grammatically- and mechanically-correct sentences

able to summarize reading on paper

able to dissect reading on paper (outline non-fiction passages of various types)

High school is mainly just doing the next thing, with some planning. 

I think there's more for mom to do to be ready for high school (if you are homeschooling) than for the child. For mom, I recommend:

-do some reading on requirements and come up with a (loose, flexible, tweakable) 4-year plan. To make a plan, you need to be aware of any requirements your state has and the general requirements of colleges your student might want to go to (or just look at requirements for several that people in your area tend to sent their kids to if you have no idea--looking at requirements from several schools will help you get a feel for the overall "scope" recommended.) HSLDA has a PDF download with a good overview by category--general, college prep, rigorous college prep.

-Within this 4-year plan, you also want to be very aware of your student's interests. Talk to your student, find out what he or she is interested in. Things like electives can certainly be chosen according to interest, but often, so can at least some science and social science classes. My oldest did the traditional US History, World History, and government, but also has a semester of Japanese history (an interest to go with his language). Some of the "finer points" you'll decide each year (how exactly to fill a credit requirement, what curriculum to use etc...), so know that talks with your student about interests are an ongoing thing. It just helps to have some ideas before you start.

-Learn about doing Transcripts and record-keeping. It's not hard to do and doesn't take much time (I spend 2-3 hours at the end of each year compiling grades, imputing info to my kids' transcripts, making a rough-draft of course descriptions and a list of books read, so that if a college would ever want that info, I have it. Or, if later on I want to remember my grading basis or what books we read a certain year, or what I used for xyz subject so I can do something similar again--I have the info at my finger-tips.) It's much easier to keep records all along than to try to remember 4 years of school and every class taken, all the extra-curriculars etc... during the senior year. 

-Make some basic decisions and know your options about how to grade (tests are not your only option. You can use papers, homework, lab reports, narration, oral discussion, credit for reading accomplished, and so on.) Lee Binz has a free webinar that talks about grades and record-keeping--there's a link to one on my blog.

-learn about college-prep tests and when students take them so that you aren't caught by surprise.

-learn about opportunities at your local community college if you are considering dual enrollment--or even if you aren't. Our local CC has career exploration tools including personality tests and interest surveys, and the opportunity to meet and discuss results with someone, all available for homeschoolers even if they aren't students there. (Wish I had known that a year sooner!)

-find out about extra curriculars your student is interested in and how those interests can be met. 

For the student, the work is much more about doing the next thing. Sure, we all want kids who have strong math, reading, and writing skills by the time they enter high school. Those skills give them the best advantage and set them up to do well. So, do what you can to set your student up for success in these main areas. If they can read, write, think, and do math--they can do well in just about any class. However, if that's not your student--if some skills are weak, that's okay. Work with your student where he is, and come up with a plan for addressing those weaker issues. A lot can change over the 4 years of high school, and a student who struggles can still be successful in college. 

In addition to the "3 r's," I find two other things to be helpful:

Study skills and test-taking skills: this might be something that you work on throughout high school in preparation for college, or it may be something that you at least start working on in junior high. When your student does poorly on a test, use that as a teaching moment--as diagnostic rather than strictly an assessment. Does your student know how to study for a test? What methods are effective for your student? Does your student highlight or mark in books (start teaching this now). Does your student tend to know how to answer questions orally but doesn't do well with written output? Does your student know the material thoroughly, and understand it well enough to teach it back to you? Does your student make careless mistakes in math or in reading test questions? Assess what's going on when tests don't go well, and work on study skills with your student. Be willing to go back over a test, ask questions orally to see if your student can give better answers that way or if your student misunderstood a question--help your student understand the nuances of different types of tests and what questions mean. 

Along with that, work on note-taking. I like to use T-notes (similar to Cornell notes), especially for history. Go over the notes with your student--praise for things they thought to write down that will help them. Gently show them when they've captured minutiae that really won't help them. Model for them how you would take notes on the passage--what items would you make sure to take note of, and why? Beginning in junior high and over the course of the high school years, you can help your student to become an excellent note-taker. 

Most of all--enjoy your kids. The high school years can be trying at times but very rewarding, and it's a joy to see our children become young adults. 

• Like 2