Menu

Babies with high birth weigh and...

pinkmint

This is probably not very important, but I seem to notice a correlation and am wondering if anyone else has. Please don't take this too seriously.  :001_smile:

It seems like a disproportionately large number of 9 - 10 lb (or more) babies are born to homeschooling, Christian, SAHM types. I am such a type, and I have had two babies well over 9 lbs. I've noticed that these women aren't necessarily overweight either, as you might think that has something to do with it. Gestational diabetes doesn't seem to be going on in these cases either. Incidentally, my 9 pounders are not now overweight children. 

In paying attention to birth announcements whenever I come across them, whether public figures (like Jessa, who just had an almost 10 lb-er) or people I know or know of or whatever, there seems to be an amazingly consistent pattern of this. "Regular" women who work, are not necessarily Christian and don't homeschool seem to have more babies in the 6 - 8 lb range. 

Have you noticed this?

This is probably not very important, but I seem to notice a correlation and am wondering if anyone else has. Please don't take this too seriously.  :001_smile:

It seems like a disproportionately large number of 9 - 10 lb (or more) babies are born to homeschooling, Christian, SAHM types. I am such a type, and I have had two babies well over 9 lbs. I've noticed that these women aren't necessarily overweight either, as you might think that has something to do with it. Gestational diabetes doesn't seem to be going on in these cases either. Incidentally, my 9 pounders are not now overweight children. 

In paying attention to birth announcements whenever I come across them, whether public figures (like Jessa, who just had an almost 10 lb-er) or people I know or know of or whatever, there seems to be an amazingly consistent pattern of this. "Regular" women who work, are not necessarily Christian and don't homeschool seem to have more babies in the 6 - 8 lb range. 

Have you noticed this?

Well, yes, now that you think about it.  I had large babies and no gestational diabetes.  So did several other moms I knew.  None of the kids are overweight.  

Of course, I don't know every working mom or what their babies weighed.  

My kids have all been in the same range, adjusted for their gestational age, and all been the same length, too. Some people are just prone to a certain 'type'. I've never had gestational diabetes and even when I was morbidly obese my babies were a large but normal size.

I've seen some of the correlation you've mentioned but it actually seems to go with attitudes about natural childbirth and refusing induction than anything else. A not insignificant number of working professional women are also the ones getting induced at 37-39 weeks or on a particular day to try and manage birth around their schedules - especially school teachers, first time moms, etc. I think many are also likely to work out more during their pregnancies - many of my large family mommy friends give that up after about baby #3 for sheer want of time.

I don't know the real cause, but these are the anecdotes I've seen in my own life and experiences. By any reckoning I should be having 10+ pound babies but I never do - despite fitting 'the type'. However size is strongly hereditary and I am fastidious about my diet and exercise during pregnancy, even though I eschew induction.

I wonder if homeschoolers are more likely to be "crunchy" or otherwise more willing to question authority (or whatever), so that they are more likely to resist the common-in-some-areas-and-with-some-doctors pressure to induce around 40 weeks and so are more likely as a group to go longer past their due date than others, which would contribute to higher birth weights.

I had two early inductions for medical reasons (35wk and 37wk), with one spontaneous labor at 39wk, and my babies' birth weights tracked along with gestation length (6lb 5oz, 7lb 3oz, and 7lb 8oz).

• Like 6

I have really large babies (between 9.5 and 12 pounds).   I am the typical stereotype.  I worked before my first baby, but I was a crunchy granola midwife.  Haha. 

I have noticed this at church.  We go to a hipster style church.  Lots of these small little girls that wear a size 4 and are about 2 feet tall (well, maybe not really, but it does feel like everyone is about 5 foot 3).  They tend to have babies that are like 6 pounds.  I am afraid to even hold them.  :)

• Like 1

8 lb babies here while not working outside the home. Recently, a nurse acquaintance of mine who worked full time to the very end had a 10 lb 11 oz baby. Test for gestational diabetes was negative, and babe came on his own on his due date. Both parents are over six feet and big boned though not overweight. He was 23" long so I just think he takes after his folks.

• Like 1

No.

I certainly could be wrong, but my guess is that this is a case of yellow car syndrome. ;)

Could be. That's why I'm asking.

I am an adult convert to Christianity (from nothing) and am the only one in my whole family who stays home 

"doing nothing" LOL, so I've seen a fair bit of both worlds at this point. 

Not at all.  I've seen a range both in schooled kids and homeschooled kids.  I've also seen a range in size of older kids.  My kids tend from the middle to lower end of the growth curve and were both born under 7# and brought home at under 6# (I had lots of IV fluids during c-sections so I think there birth weights were a little inflated).

I'm not Christian though and run with secular crowds.  I can't imagine what difference that would make though.

• Like 2

I vote that there is no correlation. My DD was 9 lbs 13 oz. I'm not religious and wasn't when she was born. I did not have gestational diabetes but I did get close with my second, and I had no plans to homeschool. dD was usually on the low end of the weight charts. In fact she did not become overweight until college. I would guess that is is more genetic factors in play. My DH was over 10 lbs when he was born, his brother was close to 12 lbs at birth. Both my DH and I are from families of tall people. In my family I am the short one at 5 ft 6 inches.

• Like 1

My singletons have all been in the 8lb range - 8 lbs 7 oz to 8 lbs 15 oz.  One was a 38 week baby, and the others went past their due date a bit.  I kind of expected to have larger babies, since my husband and I are both over 6 ft tall and my mom's 3 babies all weighed over 9 lbs (and 2 were over 10 lbs!)  

No I haven't made that correlation but I am a Christian, a SAHM and a homeschool mom with all 3 babies over 9 lbs.

I have never had gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia.

For my first two children I was a healthy weight.

Baby #1 I gained 45 lbs and baby was 3 days late and 9 lbs 14 oz. I was a size 4 when I conceived.

Baby #2 I gained 30 lbs as I realized I over did it with #1. He was 9 lbs 1 oz but born at 39 weeks via scheduled c-section.

Baby #3 I was overweight when I conceived and did a low glycemic / low carb diet while pregnant. I gained 12 lbs. I thought certainly she'd be smaller and my v-back baby.... 9 lbs 2 oz at 39 weeks via c-section.

I am 20 weeks with twin girls. We shall see how much they weigh. So far I have not gained weight yet.

Christian SAHM homeschooling Mom here, and I'd seem to fit your stereotype. My smallest was 8lbs 3 oz, my largest 10lbs even. No gestational diabetes, and no super-late births (all were born between 39 and 40 weeks). Most of the moms I know have had babies that are well over 8 pounds. However, in our case I suspect that's because our area is largely second or third generation immigrants from Germany, the Netherlands, etc. We're a very large group overall, though not necessarily overweight; we're just TALL. And sturdy. ;)

When I was in the baby/bfing season, I had previously noticed that the other homeschoolers were often crunchy, often Christian and often had larger babies. At the time I mainly put that up the boards/groups I was in which was main eco-living groups. 

Adding to the numbers, with no diabetes but a history of anemia, hyperemesis gravidarum, and other things that do not easily lead to weight gain:

O: 7 lbs 7 oz, A: 7 lbs 9oz , M: 7 lbs 10 oz, F: 9 lbs 1 oz [and midwives said he had the biggest placenta she'd seen]. 

Thinking about it now, we officially/by law started home educating when O turned 5 which was between M and F so I could fit your pattern...

This is probably not very important, but I seem to notice a correlation and am wondering if anyone else has. Please don't take this too seriously. :001_smile:

Have you noticed this?

I notice a pattern where women who have more babies tend to have bigger babies as they go along. Broad generalisation but Christian sahm families can be on the bigger side. So that cld explain the observation.

Or it might just be total Coincidence with the people around you.

I haven't really noticed this as a trend, but I don't pay a lot of attention I guess.  My babies were just 8 lbs 15.5 oz, 11 lbs 1 oz, and 7 lbs 13 oz.  My smallest though was born a month early, if I had gone full term and he had gained the average half pound a week he would have been over 9 pounds.  I am a SAHM and a Christian, but I was not a homeschooler when my first two were born.  They suspect I had undetected gestational diabetes with my second born, but he had not post birth complications and is not overweight now.

If there is ever a study that shows that religion itself affects birth weight, I will eat my hat.

Well, I don'thave a hat. But I'd steal a hat, eat it, go to jail for petty theft, get released and be like "hmmmm"

No I haven't noticed. I am petite and all my children were large, no gestational diabetes, no excessive weight gain, no other complications. All were one week early and weighed near nine pounds and up. I worked during two pregnancies and homeschooled during two pregnancies.

Every doctor I asked has said it's just genetics. I grow large babies and there was a serious mismatch between my size and theirs. I am very, very grateful we have modern medicine and hospitals.

• Like 1

The biggest babies I know we're all born to a Muslim family in which most women worked in science. 12 lbs and up, all head, every one a vaginal birth.

Mine were 7.5 and 8 lbs. I'm not white and I work. My mom is white and stayed home and we were 6 lbs each.

I think you are just more likely to know the birth weight of children of people with whom you chat about it. There are statistics on this and working moms don't tend to have smaller babies when you disaggregate by race and household income, but maternal size, nutrition, and race (taking out size) do affect birth weight.

• Like 5

No. I see no such pattern, even with my own babies. I had two over nine-pounders and two who were seven pounds. None of my kids are overweight, though two were high percentile toddlers. One of the seven-pounders was shrimpy and dx'd FTT at one point.

One of my hs, Christian mom friends just had a tiny little baby. Others have had average-sized babies or small babies. I don't see any correlation at all.

Atheist, sort of crunchy, former homeschooler here whose children were less than 8.6 pounds at birth. I was non-working and overweight. Currently, I'm working and overweight :).

I homeschooled my eldest stepson (younger brother lived with me) and his mom is a Christian (very active in church), overweight, working and anti-homeschooling mom (maybe not anti but it was a battle for a while). He and his brother were over 11 pounds at birth.

I don't think anything has to do with the other. JME :)

• Like 1

My daughter was 9 lbs 12 oz.  She was a BIG baby and toddler.  She was typical sized as a child and young teen.  She has been overweight the last few years.

My son was a preemie but 7 pounds 11oz (11 pounds 6 oz on due date).  He was a fairly typical sized kid, maybe an inch or two short for his weight after age 8.  He has been overweight the last few years though.  

My other kids weren't biological so probably don't count :)  The three were less preemie than my son but were all about 4 pounds. They are still pretty small. Wyatt was 9 pounds 6 oz full term.  

I'm a SAHM, Christian homeschooler and my babies birthweights were 9lbs 1oz (11 days before dd), 7lbs 11oz (15 days before dd) and 9lbs 10oz (14 days before dd).

No gestational diabetes

Induced with my first, went into labor on my own with my next 2

Not at all against interventions

Although I am a homeschooler now, I had zero plans of being one until my youngest was 2. 

My SIL on DH's side had an 7/8lb baby (can't remember) and a 9lb 8oz baby. She works outside the home. Both of her babies came very close to due dates. Traditional OB, not crunchy at all.

My SIL on my side of the family just had an 10lb 5oz baby, 5 days after due date. She works outside of the home. She saw a midwife. 

None of us had GD and we are all religious. All 3 of us made different feeding choices - exclusively BF, formula only and a combo. 

Well, I was working in a high-stress. long-hour management position until the last week of my first pregnancy - that kiddo was 9-1/2 pounds. I was a SAHM with a pretty relaxed life during my second pregnancy - 6-1/2 pounds.Both nearly full-term babies, same eating habits for me. More exercise with the second pregnancy. No GD either time, liberal Christian all along. DS15 is now 5'11" and slim, DS12 is on the shorter side and slim.

I can't imagine that that can really be scientifically true.  I think it's just coincidence.  I have not noticed that pattern, at all.

I have five kids, and they all weighed very different weights at birth.  However, the dd who weighed the most is the tallest.  She weighed 9.9 lbs.  Three others weighed just under 7, and one weighed 8.5.  The 8.5 is the smallest.