Menu

Shoes to wear with straight-leg jeans

AnniePoo

Straight leg is the cut for me.  It looks cute and stylish without being too va-va-voom.  The problem is footwear.  Ballet flats looks awesome with my jeans, but it'll be snowing soon.  That's just so impractical.  Boots would make the calf area bunch to wear the over, and wouldn't fit under.  What are my other options?  Bonus points for links that are available in size 12 (yes, my feet are huge).

I'm fine with shoes as long as I can wear socks with them.  Ballerina flats with socks look horrible, so those are out.  I live in a snowy area, but people plow and shovel fairly well, so I'm not concerned about them being tall.

Links, please!  What constitutes a "cute sneaker" or ankle boot?

Are you sure boots can't go over the jeans?  Have you tried all different heights?  Mid-calf and knee high?

P.S.  I think that some boots come in wider sizes on the calf.  Yes, they do:  I googled "wide calf boots" and a bunch of things came up.

I haven't tried many.  My feet are so big I have to order.  I tried some low slouch boots on yesterday and those didn't work either.  

I'm fine with shoes as long as I can wear socks with them.  Ballerina flats with socks look horrible, so those are out.  I live in a snowy area, but people plow and shovel fairly well, so I'm not concerned about them being tall.

Links, please!  What constitutes a "cute sneaker" or ankle boot?

Not always sure what are cute sneakers, other than I know them when I see them.

However, I got a pair of Converse sneakers at the thrift store for $7 and I've found they look really nice with almost any pants that I wear.  I was surprised actually. I figured I'd never wear them, but I wear them all the time.

Maybe try some of those on?  It's a starting point.

I'm fine with shoes as long as I can wear socks with them. Ballerina flats with socks look horrible, so those are out. I live in a snowy area, but people plow and shovel fairly well, so I'm not concerned about them being tall.

Links, please! What constitutes a "cute sneaker" or ankle boot?

Asics has a casual sneaker in lots of colors. New Balance too. Van's. Converse. Keen has a sneaker-y shoe similar to the Tom's you linked. There's a white one that I'm blanking on the name that celebrities like (according to People magazine :D ), but probably because they have staff to keep them white.

ETA: Superga tennis shoes

Pardon my ignorance, but can't anyone wear sneakers in winter? We live in a snowy area but I keep to plowed roads and shoveled sidewalks.

I do own snow boots and use those for shoveling and outdoor play.

Well I guess you could here, but when we have 12 feet of snow it would be awfully hard to get around. The sidewalks etc are plowed here too, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a good layer of snow and ice everywhere, and I'd hate to navigate that in sneakers. Plus, man would I would be cold!

Like Dot, we celebrate the return to regular shoes in spring too. :)

When we lived in the snow, I wore hiking boots all winter long. I appreciated their waterproof-ness, and they kept my feet warm. With sweaters, you feel very outdoors-y, not dressy, but it can be a cute look. 

Bonus: those LL Bean hiking boots are SUUUPER trendy right now :)